DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Welcome Haycraftd

Hayl3y

Welcome to the Band, Haycraftd !!!!

tenor.gif

Make yourself at home and don't hesitate to tell us a bit more about you :biggrin:

As you will see, there are areas here where we can chat about gigs, music, travels, aso...

So let's start with this question : will you travel this summer?

Well, I'm an American from New Orleans, LA, currently on a pilgrimage to Edinburgh, Scotland.  I'm going for a PhD on medieval history--Vikings took advantage of natural disasters to raid targets.  A PhD can be a lonely degree--and so one of the many things I've gotten involved in heavily is golf, although I'm not good at it.  Sports--I'm a New Orleans Saints fanatic.  

I got into the Wheel of Time when I was fourteen--when it was still just up to Winter's Heart--and I reread them often during high school.  The  WoT was EVERYTHING to me back then!  NOTHING  could match it.  And my favorite character was Mat.  Then came my undergraduate years, when Brandon Sanderson took over, and I kept up with it, although I couldn't reread everything before his novels anymore.  A Memory of Light came out in January 2013, I devoured it, and then things were done.  I felt I had to put it away and find something else.  And I didn't find anything else.  The only (modern) series that has come close to Jordan's has been Brandon Sanderson's other works. (I'm not counting Tolkien--he's almost a different genre these days).

I stayed away from the WoT for nearly 5 years--I stopped reading at all for a good while--but even the smallest reference could cascade me into memories of it and what I was doing while I was reading it.  

I forgot a lot of things were WoT and just took things for life.  I once had to look up Jak o' the Shadows to remember it was a poem in the WoT, not an old-fashioned song. The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills--I forgot that was WoT saying.  Eventually I decided to listen to the WoT again in early December. 

Travelling this summer--yes and no.  I'm in Edinburgh right now, but in late July I'm flying back to New Orleans for a month, so flying back home.  I hate tedious flights across the Atlantic--I wouldn't mind Travelling or Skimming there--but I sure am looking forward to home.  

Edited by haycraftd

Well welcome to the Band!!! I'm Katiora or Kat :wink: I'm one of the members of the illustrious Cavalry, aka the best regiment in the Band. (don't listen to anyone that tells you different). We're very glad you've decided to join us and feel free to ask any questions you may have! We used to have a few Banders that were over around where you are now, but I'm afraid a lot of them are MIA. Very glad to meet you though :biggrin:

I forgot to give my name--I'm Dan.

And happy to meet you, Kat.  I haven't been assigned yet.  I just joined the band after hearing "If You Go to be a Soldier" from troops marching along.  I had to join up to see if the song was accurate!  

I'll ask questions as I come up with them, but right now all I can say is thank you!  

15 hours ago, haycraftd said:

And happy to meet you, Kat.  I haven't been assigned yet.  I just joined the band after hearing "If You Go to be a Soldier" from troops marching along.  I had to join up to see if the song was accurate!  

I'll ask questions as I come up with them, but right now all I can say is thank you!  

Well to answer a question you haven't asked, lol, You don't get assigned! You get to choose :wink: Your first few weeks here will be spent as a Raw Recruit and during that time you'll get to visit and do a few tasks for the different regiments (Archers, Cavalry, and Infantry) and then after that time you get to choose which one you want to join. Though we each tout that we are the best, I have to say (as a past member of all three), they are all great and everyone is friendly. Right now we're going through a bit of a dead spot because of DM going down a few times this year for maintenance. Hopefully though attendance will pick up soon. 

Usually we have regimental competitions (things like trivia). You'll also see, once you get added to the private boards that there are games in some of the regiments, such as a monthly hangman :biggrin: The biggest thing though is to have fun! 

Whoops, I will wander in fashionably late then I guess :p 

I have no sympathy for long flights XD I am Australian! It takes way too long to get anywhere here, including elsewhere in our own country haha. I love your wot experiences though. Everyone has such epic memories associated with this series. It's so long, it practically demands a wot sized place in people's minds :p is Mat still your favourite char? Lan has always had a special place in my heart 

Also, phd buddies! I am meamt to start in six months though so I have a while to go yet. 

What kind of music are you into? Very important question. 

Oh, where are my manners?! I'm BB of the cavalry, resident bard, eternal squire of Dice (our cavalry boss-he'll be around I'm sure). Oh dear, I can't believe no-one has offered you a drink yet! Poor form, guys XD *tosses Hay a bandy* This is the cavalry brew, the best in the Band!

Thanks for the drink!

I remember one night in April 2012 very well because I was rereading LoC at the time.  We're used to gigantic roaches in New Orleans and periodically have to clean them out.  That night I was home alone, had finished dinner, and had opened LoC, when I heard a sound in the kitchen near our trash can.  I went there, found a gigantic roach there, and smashed it.  But that was just the beginning.  I ended up killing about twenty that I saw and I heard quite a lot of rustling in places I poisoned--so I think many more died.  Why do I remember the night so well?  Because I was the Lord of Chaos!

Mat is still my favorite character.   He's so dynamic! I've always liked Lan as well though--he's always seemed so tragic.

My favorite musical genre--I really don't have one.  I've picked up songs from many different musical genres.  My favorite living musician has to be Jimmy Buffett, though.  

What are you looking into for your PhD?

Welcome, haycraftd (aka Dan)! 

I'm Daruya, a Knight in the Cavalry (best regiment in the Band!). I've been hit and miss lately due to work and DM outages. Finished my master's degree in December (Systems Engineering) and work has been crazy since then. Plus, they are pushing Windows 10 updates so there is a LOT of latency in our network connection at work which means I haven't been able to get to DM much even during lunch! And once I get home, I'm either fried or hubby is using my laptop (or both). :laugh:  

BTW, I live in the Florida Panhandle so I'm quite familiar with the roaches of which you spoke . . . 

On 6/26/2018 at 8:06 AM, haycraftd said:

You'll find most peeps round here use their handles     so much so that i haveto ask people who they are on dm before i add them on fB

Welcome to the Band! You will soon realize that theres really only ONE choice for Regiment....

Thew MIGHTY CAVALRY!!!!

if you have any questions feel free to hit me up  even by pm if you want

On 6/28/2018 at 2:13 AM, Illian Tear said:

I disagree that bandy is the best.

You and I are going to have words....

On 6/29/2018 at 10:40 AM, The Bard Babe said:

Jimmy Buffet ahahaha excellent. Oh no giant rocahes, what fun! I'm looking into music performance psychology, specifically effects of attention :)

You dont HAVE an attention span....

I haven't replied, yet, my apologies!  The past few days have been tumultuous. 

@Daruya I've half expected to see roaches scurrying around here recently.  It's actually warm up here in Scotland and so people are going insane.  People are unfamiliar with clothing like shorts and there is no air conditioning up here.  Roaches would love it--unless they came near me. If they come near me--they're suddenly dancing with Jak o' the Shadows!

@dicetosser1 Thank you.  We'll see.  I've been away from here a few days so I've got to catch up with everything.

*casually strolls in hoping no one notices how late she is in her welcome*

Welcome to the Band haycraftd! I'm Lessa of the Archers, a great place to be if you're looking for a good time with some arrows and daggers. We also have a variety of flaming shots available if that's to your liking