DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Wait a Sec...

Maedelin

The Aiel state that calling someone by half of their name is akin to calling them by a honey name.  So if that's the case, why don't they always address one another by name, sept, and clan?  Wetlanders by full name, and all Aiel by their honey names?  Doesn't make any sense.

It would be horrible to read.  After initial introductions I would think name and clan would be enough.  Bob of the Shaido etc..  Not to mention is would seem rather odd if greeting people of your own clan and sept with their clan and sept.  Aiel only seem to have one name, so isn't that their full name?

Edited by Sabio

23 hours ago, Maedelin said:

The Aiel state that calling someone by half of their name is akin to calling them by a honey name.  So if that's the case, why don't they always address one another by name, sept, and clan?  Wetlanders by full name, and all Aiel by their honey names?  Doesn't make any sense.

I would say Aiel only have one name. Their sept, clan, and lineage are not part of their names, just part of their introductions.

To them, calling Elayne Trakand "Elayne" would be like calling Aviendha "Avi". To be fair, I have no idea why they'd even make that distinction when most of them have names like Gaul, Bain, Amys, Bair.

22 hours ago, solarz said:

I would say Aiel only have one name. Their sept, clan, and lineage are not part of their names, just part of their introductions.

To them, calling Elayne Trakand "Elayne" would be like calling Aviendha "Avi". To be fair, I have no idea why they'd even make that distinction when most of them have names like Gaul, Bain, Amys, Bair.

That was the best way to explain the discrepancy I've seen so far.  Thank you for clearing it up!  It makes sense now!