DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Intro to Saidar

Jagen Sedai

OOC: For Aubriana & Ravenhild. @Arie @Chaelca.

~*~*~*~*~

Jagen Halin strode down the curving stairs from the Red Ajah quarters, watching the tiles go from red-and-white at the top to green-and-gray at the bottom As she walked down the wide hall and turned into another corridor, those tiles became yellow-and-brown. It was an eye sore in her opinion, but thankfully by the time she reached her destination, near the novices’ quarters and one level below the Amyrlin’s study, on a wide hallway where the floor tiles were red and green and the runner blue. Here was the Mistress of Novices' office, and Jagen gave a knock and stepped inside. Valeri wasn't there, but the Red found the paper left for her with two names on it: Aubriana, whom she already met, and Ravenhild. It also detailed which classroom to go to, one Jagen herself had chosen previously for this lesson.

Making her way down a few more corridors, she pushed open the simple door. Though there was no clock, the lesson was due to start any minute. There were only a few benches in this room with a single, cushioned chair. A desk was here too, though it was pushed against the wall under the single window. Her gaze went to the two girls in white who sat waiting. Aubriana was familiar to her now, so the curly redhead with freckles and green eyes must have been Ravenhild.

"I am Jagen Sedai," she greeted them as she sat in the cushioned chair, arranging her dark red skirts. Her shawl, bright red, she arranged high on her shoulders, and she sat tall and regal. "You may introduce yourselves before we begin, but only with your names. Now that you are a novice of the White Tower, whatever titles you held before, if any, hold no meaning now." Her eyes went to Aubriana, at that. "And while you may be used to going where you wish, when you wished it, now you must adhere to a strict schedule; I have no doubt Valeri has already informed you of some of the rules. However, this is not for no good reason; here, you may became far greater a person than you ever dreamed. An Aes Sedai. Already, you know you can learn to channel saidar at this point. Here, you will learn to truly feel it. This, it can take weeks if you have no prior training, so do not be dismayed if by the end of this lesson we have no visible progress; I assure you some will be made by the end, even if it feels otherwise. Now. Do either of you have prior training to touch saidar? Can either of you already feel it there?"

Ravenhild chews the interior of her cheek. She hates that white dress she now has to wear. This was supposed to be a big mistake.... Amalexia Sedai wasn't supposed to be right ... But, no ! Fate wanted to be tricky. It decided that she should be a "channeler".  What a joke...

She sighs as she looks around. She hated her classes in Cairhien, and she will hate these ones as well. She is sure of it. A memory of her "old" school flashes through her mind. There were so many girls in her class and they were so enthusiastic about learning things, that they actually fought to sit on the first rank. Raven shakes her head. She never took part in THESE fights. She just stuck to the rear of the class and picked seats by the window hoping people would forget about her.

Such a strategy isn't available to her today, unfortunately. She has to sit in the front for the simple reason that there's only one other Novice in her class. The Mistress of the Novices who sent her to this dreadful place told her that there'll be only the two of them ... at least for a while.

Raven is so angry that she doesn't talk to Aubriana. She completely ignores her. It is the only way she can protest beside scowling.

Suddenly a woman, an Aes Sedai enters the class. Raven sighs and stands. She may be in a very bad mood but politeness comes as a reflex.

The woman introduces herself as Jagen Sedai and sits on her cushioned chair as Raven rolls her eyes. That one must have a sensible bottom, she thinks a bit too loud before noticing the Red Shawl on her teacher's shoulder. The red colour makes her shiver, there are so many tales told about these ones.

"You may introduce yourselves before we begin, but only with your names," Jagen says. "Now that you are a novice of the White Tower, whatever titles you held before, if any, hold no meaning now. And while you may be used to going where you wish, when you wished it, now you must adhere to a strict schedule; I have no doubt Valeri has already informed you of some of the rules. However, this is not for no good reason; here, you may became far greater a person than you ever dreamed. An Aes Sedai. Already, you know you can learn to channel saidar at this point. Here, you will learn to truly feel it. This, it can take weeks if you have no prior training, so do not be dismayed if by the end of this lesson we have no visible progress; I assure you some will be made by the end, even if it feels otherwise. Now. Do either of you have prior training to touch saidar? Can either of you already feel it there?"

Raven hesitates between staying on her bench and talking. Her impatience for this all to be over pushes her to answer to Aes Sedai in front of her.

"I am Raven - hild" she adds after a small break. "I am here because Amalexia Sedai says I can channel. She tested me. In Cairhien."

Her eyes sweeps from left to right, then she sits down.

Edited by Chaelca

• 2 weeks later...

Blood and bloody ashes! It’s not fair sticking me in a class this late. Jagen Sedai will be furious!

Viviane rushed down the hall. She hadn’t been in the Tower for more than a few hours before Valeri Sedai, Mistress of Novices, told Viviane that she was to attend the class in the One Power. That was fantastic! What was not fantastic was the fact that the class started about five minutes after Valeri Sedai informed Viviane.

Blood and bloody ashes!

When an Aes Sedai told you to go someplace, you went. It wasn’t any of Valeri Sedai’s concern whether or not Viviane was late for her first class. She must have had better things to do than to inform Viviane in a more timely manner.

Bloody Aes Sedai!

Viviane’s feet skidded across the multi-colored tiles and placed her before a plain wooden door. She took a moment to compose herself before reaching into her pouch and withdrawing a piece of parchment. The paper was from Valeri Sedai, Viviane figured it was to let Jagen Sedai know that Viviane was a late addition to the class.

Straightening her back and schooling her face, Viviane pushed through the door and calmly marched up to Jagen Sedai. Viviane gave her finest curtsy and announced in a polite tone, “Beg your pardon, Jagen Sedai, the Mistress of Novices told me I was to join your class today. She instructed me to give you this note. I have not worked much with the power. When I was tested, they told me I could learn, but the spark was not born within me. I am sorry to interrupt the lesson, Jagen Sedai. Please forgive me.”

Viviane offered another curtsy before handing over the note. She rose with a humble smile on her face, hands clasped before her. Rushing over to a bench, she took a seat beside Ravenhild and did her best to look innocent.

Edited by Oddpositions

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

OOC: I was going to post this right when DM went down! But here it is!

Jagen held out her hand with no readable expression on her face as she took the note and quickly read it. She folded it casually and placed it on the nearest desk. "So. Viviane." She looked at all three girls, her expression slightly stern. "Some things are outside of your control, but do not make it a habit to be showing up late. I will always know if it was your own fault, or not. And outside of a Sister tasking you, you have no excuses."

The Red then embraced the Source and wove a simple ball of light, holding the weave instead of tying it off. It was better that way, for this test. "You see this ball of light, woven of saidar, but there is much more to see besides it. There is more to feel. Each effect you can observe--and some you cannot--are made of Weaves of the One Power. These weaves are what you will be learning in the future. After a time, you will be able to see them, but not today. Instead, however, your goal is to feel them. Feel the Source being used. Feel me embracing it. Know it is there and within your grasp, even if you cannot grasp it willingly today. The first step is to be aware of it. And, if you get lucky, you may even be able to glimpse the glow of saidar around me, if just for a moment. Either will show some progress.

"This part of the lesson is to be done in silence, so you all may concentrate without bothering another. However, do state once you do feel or see something beyond this light. You will have almost an hour--but do not feel bad if this lesson brings you nothing today. Yes, an hour," she reiterated. "Patience is also part of this lesson."

• 2 weeks later...

Viviane shivered when Jagen addressed her directly. This was her first class in the Tower and, Light, she was nervous! Especially with a Red. They and the Green were said to be the ones that knew the Battle Weaves, meaning that they could do the most damage. Oh, Viviane wanted to learn, but still, she was not used to being in the presence of someone that could accomplish such a feat. She was almost in awe. Almost.

The light down of hair on Viviane’s forearms rose, as did some gooseflesh. She figured it was due to the awe she was feeling. An Aes Sedai. She had met a few before now, but this one was radiating confidence and serenity. Every other Sister Viviane had talked to always seemed preoccupied, or the Sister had thoughts of being elsewhere. Jagen Sedai was in the present moment, however. It was quite refreshing.

The Red Sister told the group to concentrate and be silent, so that is exactly what Viviane did. There was nothing there but her own thoughts, though.

I don’t doubt Jagen Sedai, but still… what is there besides my so-called ‘internal monologue’? Thank you Brown sisters for that term… Hmmm… I’m supposed to concentrate… That rosebud thing worked when I was tested… Maybe that?

Viviane thought of the Rosebud, but she couldn’t exactly remember what came after that… So, she just pictured a rosebud for a few moments, hoping to the Creator that something would happen… But, no. Nothing did happen. Nothing but a wandering mind.

Grandmother always said that you just felt it. It was inexplicable. Like a connection that just was… What in the world does that even mean? There must be some sign, something physical that would manifest. From what I’ve heard, the One Power leaves very physical signs of its meddling…

Drawing her eyes down to her lap, Viviane frowned slightly.

It must be powerful, whatever the sign is. The One Power can accomplish anything, why would it be subtle?

That’s when Viv’s eyes wandered over to her arms. The hair there was still standing on end, gooseflesh covering every inch of her arms and legs.

Something physical that would manifest…

She looked at the fine, auburn down standing straight up and then noticed a tingling at the back of her mind. It wasn’t painful or distracting, it was just there. It felt right. Almost like it had always been there.

Viv’s hand shot up and color flushed her cheeks. She was so anxious it was hard not to stammer, “Jagen Sedai, I think I feel Saidar! Right here!” She lowered her hand and brought it to the back of her skull, just at the base. Viv’s other arm shot up, forearm facing the Red Sister, “And this. The hair on my arm has been standing straight up for a few minutes now… I think I feel it!” She gave a hearty laugh at that and lowered her arms. A warm smile spread across her face.

Raven is disappointed. She would have loved to see the new girl punished for her late arrival. Instead, the teacher simply looked at Viviane and told her to make more efforts next time.

This is so unfair! Raven silently protests, convinced that she would have been immediately sent to the kitchen if she had been the last one to enter the classroom.

The teacher then clears her throat before opening herself to Saidar, as she does so, goosebumps appear on Raven's arms. Mmmh, it is probably the cold, the young girl tries to reassure herself. She quickly rubs her hands against her arms. Someone must have left a window open...

The teacher creates small ball of light that she sends closer to her students, inviting them to feel the threads she has channeled. Raven doesn't want to see nor feel anything. The only thing she wants to do is to say that she's not a real channeler, that there were mistakes made during her testing and that she should be sent back home. 

However she doesn't say any of these things. The Mistress of the Novices promised her hell if she dared to interrupt the class.

Jagen Sedai looks towards her when she asks for silence, deeper concentration and patience as if she could read the young Cairhienin thoughts and Raven has to fight not to roll her eyes. Patience, ... right, she thinks as she quickly looks from left to right. The two other Novices are focused, the will to learn shines on their face.

Viviane is the first one to tell the teacher she feels Saidar. She proudly points at the base of her skull and at the hair standing on her arms. Her warm smile makes Raven want to vomit. 

Shaking her head, she looks to the small ball of light again. Now that she knows what to look for, it is not hard for her to discover that her body reacts to Saidar as well. She hesitates, not knowing whether it is better for her to participate to the class or to just stay silent. Unfortunately, she doesn't have the time to make a decision, Viviane turns towards her, her eyes sweeping to Raven's uncovered arms fully covered by goosebumps.

"I feel something too," Raven quickly says hoping it was the right thing to say.

• 3 weeks later...

OOC: For realism's sake, I decided to split this post into two days (in case you're wondering about the break in the middle).

*~ :ajahred_by_drowelfmorwen-dc43fsu: ~*

Once both new novices said they felt something, Jagen felt quite impressed. They would be quick learners, she hoped--or rather, expected, now.

"Ravenhild, that is your name, yes?" she asked the first girl in white. Her eyebrows raising slightly to press her point, she went on, "When you address an Aes Sedai, you will say 'Aes Sedai' or, in my case, 'Jagen Sedai', you understand this, yes?"

Then she looked at Viviane, and between the two. "It is good you both have felt something already. But be aware the feeling might not stay with her; sometimes keeping the awareness of the Power will have to build up over time. Especially if you end up developing a block--though you should not have to worry about that here, it is possible that at times you may feel saidar but unable to embrace it. Other times the Power, it will seem as if it is not even there. In this case, it may be a block has developed. But neither of you are wilders--those who somehow manage to touch the Power without training--and that is a very good thing indeed. All of your training will go through the proper routes."

The ball of light disappeared. "I will see you both tomorrow, as this is all we have time for today. A last note, however. No novice may try to embrace the One Power on her own. Do not even think about trying to do so. If you are caught, the consequences are dire--if you are not, the consequences could be far worse. I hope I am making myself clear, yes?" She looked at them both with a slightly stern look to her face. "Now, do not be late, either of you, to your next class." And with that Jagen rose and left the room. A bell sounded in the distance.

*~ :ajahred_by_drowelfmorwen-dc43fsu: ~*

The next day Jagen showed up a minute before the class was to begin, and she sat as each novice greeted her. On the table she set down a white crystal, uncut and only somewhat clear.

"Today we will work more on feeling the One Power--and learning to embrace it. It does not come easy, and this may take time. You may only practice this in the presence of an Accepted, or Aes Sedai."

"Now that you are aware of saidar, you must learn to focus in on it. If you are looking into a vast ocean, you must focus on the pearl down on the sea floor among the sand. A hard thing to do, when you are inexperienced. But focus none the less. Whether it is a pearl to be brought up into the light or a rose bud that must open itself, this is saidar, and you needing to reach to it. But this does not mean you will be crass and try to grab it, force it, seize it. No. Saidar is a wonderful, powerful force, and you must learn to submit to it before you can embrace it. Do not be discouraged if you do not manage to do it today."

"Now, clear your mind. Focus only on that pearl."  She never did like using the rosebud analogy. "Use this gem before you to focus--if you manage to embrace saidar, you may unwittingly channel, and cause the crystal to shine some. Now, the pearl. You must dive into the water to get it. That is you surrendering. If you are successful, you will be able to grasp it." Her tone became calm, and directive. "Clear your mind. Breathe. There is only that pearl. Nothing else matters..."