DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Aiel = Fremen? Where are the eyes, blue within blue?

kwisatz32782

As much as I appreciate the originality of just about everything in the story, I would have no seen anyone point out the obvious similarities of the Aiel "savages" to Frank Herbert's Fremen.

Even from the origins of a peaceloving people driven from their homes and living for thousands of years in exile, there two groups are virtually identical.

I was pleased that Jordan didn't create a melange type substance.

As much as I appreciate the originality of just about everything in the story, I would have no seen anyone point out the obvious similarities of the Aiel "savages" to Frank Herbert's Fremen.

All authors are influenced by those who came before. Any story you look at is going to bear resemblence to something else you've read. Expecting anything to be purely original is going to leave you perpetually disappointed.

Guest Fire Lord

Sure, I made the rapprochement between Aiel and Fremen, but it doesn't bother me, and in no way do I consider it un-original.

Still I prefer the Aiel. Their eyes are naturally that colour, whereas in the Fremen's case it has to do with that drug- spice?

And I think the Aiel are more developped, but hey, that may have to do with that I read only the starting book; the fact that the whole story is not exclusively about Paul rather discouraged me.

Concidering both authors have cited the zulu as inspiration' date=' i dont think the prior fiction is as much an issue as the prior fact. That may just be me though.[/quote']

I didn't mean to limit it to just prior fiction. Just that everyone gets their inspiration from all over and similarities between two works don't indicate a lack of originality on the part of either author. :wink:

This goes back to the old discussion that there's not a whole lot of originality anymore. Alot of what is written these days is simply an adaptation of what was written 50, 100, 500, 1000 years ago.

Archived