DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Song of the Tuatha'an

Starting my reread over from scratch because it's been several months since I have read Shadow Rising. I'm reading the Prologue now and am wondering if the Tinkers song was known during the Age of Legends?

On Page Two it reads: 

"Lord of the Morning," he said, "I have come for you."

The laughter cut off as if it had never been, and Lews Therin turned, seeming unsurprised. "Ah, a guest. Have you the Voice stranger? It will soon be time for the Singing, and here all are welcome to take part. 

We know that the Aiel had served and failed the Aes Sedai, and that the Aiel fractured into several societies one of them being the Tuatha'an who spend their time in the series looking for their song. Was LTT referring to the lost song when he asked if the stranger had the "Voice" because it was time for the "Singing"?

My memory of the series is somewhat hazy, being some years since my last run through. However, I seem to remember an incident back in the AoL where the Aiel were sitting in a huge circle around a group of channellers that were killing them. They were singing as they were killed, trying to prompt the channellers to remember who and what they were. 

As I say, my memory is very hazy on the point. I'll get back to the point on this read through eventually, but I always assumed The Song was that song.

There is no one Song.  As Rand saw as he went through the ter'angreal in Rhuidean he saw when the Tuatha'an split from the Aiel.  The man said specifically: We will go somewhere that we can sing in peace.  Over the hundreds of years the "go somewhere to sing in peace" was mutated into "find the song".

When LTT asked Ishy if he had the Voice, and that it was soon time for singing, it referred to the second to last past Rand saw through his ancestor that those who have the Voice are chosen to sing to crops (amongst assuredly others things) with the Ogier and Somsheta.  Those Voices hold the power of life and growing.  Amongst being a moral core for the Aes Sedai during the Age of Legends, this was a task the Aiel dedicated themselves to.

On 4/23/2018 at 1:46 AM, baalsmistress said:

My memory of the series is somewhat hazy, being some years since my last run through. However, I seem to remember an incident back in the AoL where the Aiel were sitting in a huge circle around a group of channellers that were killing them. They were singing as they were killed, trying to prompt the channellers to remember who and what they were. 

As I say, my memory is very hazy on the point. I'll get back to the point on this read through eventually, but I always assumed The Song was that song.

That was Tzora and Jaric Mondoran, and I went with the simpler explanation that they were trying to buy time for the rest of the citizens with a slight hope that Jaric might remember.  It wasn't anything based upon the talent of Singing, but more reminding him of the past age.

10 hours ago, agreddon said:

That was Tzora and Jaric Mondoran, and I went with the simpler explanation that they were trying to buy time for the rest of the citizens with a slight hope that Jaric might remember.  It wasn't anything based upon the talent of Singing, but more reminding him of the past age.

I always took it as The Song being all of the different songs that the ancient Aiel sang to grow trees and do whatever else they sang for.

Yea I take it that the Singing is a ability, like being a Dreamer or a Wolfbrother or anything else like that. The words they sing are probably not so important in that they sing together to focus their power into the task they are doing.