DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Moiraine & Siuan 'tingling'

Stevros

I have started a reread of the series and decided for the first time to start with New Spring. Reading Chapter 3 I picked up on something odd.

Moiraine felt that small tingle again as the light of saidar briefly surrounded the other woman. Any woman who could channel could feel another wielding the Power if she was close enough, but the tingle was unusual. Women who spent a lot of time together in their training sometimes felt it, but the sensation was supposed to fade away over time. Hers and Siuan’s never had. Sometimes Moiraine thought it was a sign of how close their friendship was.

This tingling sensation for Moiraine and Siuan, it seems abnormal in the length of time it's lasted between them. I know Moiraine thinks it is due the closeness of two of them, but from past experience this kind of unexplained thing from RJ can often have deeper meaning or something else at play.

From the companion I think you can point to a couple of things.  1. It said the closest friends among novices were those from very different backgrounds and 2. Their pillow friendship continued after they became accepted and even for a time after being raised.  

2 hours ago, agreddon said:

So tingling fries are done?

Personally I've always preferred Saidin cooked fries to Saidar cooked ones. I think the tempestuous nature of Saidin just gives them a more even cooking without having to remember to flip them halfway. 

• 2 weeks later...

Lord of Chaos

Briskly he rubbed his forearms through his shirtsleeves, reminding her that she held saidar.  Close like this, he would be feeling it as a faint tingle.

His skin tingled slightly as she channeled, and for an instant her image changed.

Rubbing his arm - Egwene had been there when he learned that tingle - he spoke in a harder tone.  "I said you will not channel around me.  Or even embrace saidar."

So, it seems that men get a special tingle around Powerful women, and lots of time spent together can make women feel this tingle for each other.

...he said with a waggling eyebrow.

• 3 weeks later...

It is not just Rand that experiences that tingle. All the men that channell experience it. It might be because Saidin uses heat as a base, while women use water or air, both of which have cooling properties. Since these things do not mix, it would make sense that heat sources would react more to the presence of the opposite when it is tapped.