DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Dagon Thyne

Most realistic cast for a Wheel of Time live action tv series...

Ok, we have had a lot of dream cast threads, but none which were really doable while keeping true to the series....

So, I want to see what you view as the closest possible thing to a cast which would keep to the series' premise and how Jordan saw the world.

So please no Sam Elliot as Thom.  He can't speak in a britsh accent.  

On 3/31/2018 at 1:39 AM, Dagon Thyne said:

Ok, we have had a lot of dream cast threads, but none which were really doable while keeping true to the series....

So, I want to see what you view as the closest possible thing to a cast which would keep to the series' premise and how Jordan saw the world.

Neither can Thom.

On 31/03/2018 at 6:39 AM, Dagon Thyne said:

It depends on what you mean by "realistic" versus "true to the series", which are not the same thing. The casting director could see 300 people for Rand and the best guy for the job, acting-wise, might a five-foot-five guy with dark hair. The only six-foot-five redheads they saw might have all been rubbish, or too old, or only willing to sign a 3-year contract rather than 6. Casting is extremely, extremely hard (having seen some of the casting issues they ran into for GoT, much harder than people think) and there is no way they'll get actors who perfectly fit the vision of all ~6 million people who've read the books. In some cases they will deviate, perhaps dramatically, not because they're being contrary or difficult, but because of simple practical issues.

For example, one of the most current "realistic" favourites for Rand is Louis Hoffman from the Netflix series Dark, as he seriously looks spot-on like him. However, he's also only 5 foot 7, so lacks Rand's height (which everyone and their mother comments on in the books). He's also German. He can speak English, but apparently with an accent. At 22 he's also three years older than Rand, which some people may object to (most I think would be fine with it). If they went with him for the role, some fans would be fantastically happy about it, others might say he has a distracting accent and is too short and old for the role.

Ironically, Sam Elliot does actually quite closely resemble Thom physically. However, apart from the accent the main issue I think is that he's too old (Thom is probably in his late fifties to early sixties, whilst Elliot is in his late seventies).

20 hours ago, CUBAREY said:

Neither can Thom.

According to RJ, Andorans all speak with modern English accents. Assuming that Thom is indeed Andoran (which isn't actually 100% confirmed anywhere, I believe, only he was working there), he'd presumably have the same accent. Of course, the show might go in a different direction with the accents.

On 10/19/2018 at 9:58 PM, CUBAREY said:

Neither can Thom.

Really?  Isn't Thom an Andoran?  They speak in british accents, except for the Two Rivers, who have Irish accents.  

We all know that they are going to go with unknowns for the main characters, with some big names for some important characters who aren't in the series for long for who don't show for books at a time (like Moiraine, Berelain, Demandred, etc.).

They could age the Emond's Fielders up a year or two (like GoT did wit the Stark kids), but not more because the would be too emotionally mature and some of them, notably Egwene and Rand would probably already be married.

I think people are making too much about hair and eye color. Hello, wigs (hair dye) and contacts. People with pale skin can use self tanning lotions. Even accents can be learned and unlearned. Mel Gibson did a fabulous job with  his Scottish accent in Braveheart, and Gerard Butler is from Scotland but you'd never guess in most of his movies.

BTW, did RJ say the Two Rivers folk have Irish Accents? 

Anyway, I say all this not to criticize fan casting or say it's a waste of tme. I greatly enjoy seeing what other people's ideas of the characters are, and that is perhaps how we should approach fan casting.

For instance, I always imagined Moiraine looking like Jacklyn Smith with dark eyes, and Lanfear like Catherine Zeta Jones, Nyaneve like Poppy Drayton (originally I thought Emma Watson), Egwene like Alexis Bledel, and Lan like Liam Neeson. I have yet to think of an actor who has the physical bulk that Perrin needs (besides guys like Dwayne Johnson). For some the boys are harder for me to associate with current actors. I'm not a huge fan of current day tv and movies, so there are a whole lot of actors/actresses I don't know at all.

Edited by DragonFairy