DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

How come Rand has become so selfish and...

Inmanuel

I am new to this series and i just finnished book 6. My question is how come Rand as the series goes is becoming more selfish, uncaring, violent and horrible all toguether? You just start to wish that one of the Forsaken destroys him, the Dark One wins and the people that Rand has been causing misery can finnally live in peace. Trully, he has become one of the most hated character in literature for me. Hopefully he will change and become so remorceful that he will be asking for forgiveness for the rest of his life. :evil:

He's going insane ... although frankly, this statement ...

You just start to wish that one of the Forsaken destroys him, the Dark One wins and the people that Rand has been causing misery can finnally live in peace.

seems a little over the top. Rand is dealing with stress, deception, the taint, and mental instability. He loses his temper occasionally, but I don't think a comparison with the Shadow is even close to justified. He could be a little nicer, but really ....

wow!! that was harsh!

I think his attitude is more to do with the increasing stress, the constant pain from his various wounds, and his desire to do the job (defeat the DO) and be done with it all(if he can)

Violent...... Keep reading to KoD look at perrin. Rand can't kill women. Rhurac can and will order them. So will mat. And perrin. They hate doing it but its nesicarry. And If you had so many injuries, 3 naggy girlfriends, and super bad stress because of the "Damn, I'm going to have to fight the overlord of the shadow," and like RAW said, he's facing mental instabilbility(spelled wrong lol)

I've always contended that his growing mental issues have as much to do with just plain cracking under the pressure as they do with the taint on the One Power. He just plain can't take the pressure.

One might argue that he's doing alright with the hand he's been dealt, and that's true, but I personally think that he's done a lot of it to himself (and had it done to him on a few occasions) and that the taint simply plays on his self-established delusions and paranoia. The taint doesn't need to cause problems for Rand, it just exacerbates problems he already has. Well, then there's the whole voices in the head thing...

I am new to this series and i just finnished book 6. My question is how come Rand as the series goes is becoming more selfish, uncaring, violent and horrible all toguether? You just start to wish that one of the Forsaken destroys him, the Dark One wins and the people that Rand has been causing misery can finnally live in peace. Trully, he has become one of the most hated character in literature for me. Hopefully he will change and become so remorceful that he will be asking for forgiveness for the rest of his life.

-Are you kidding me with this? Rand most notably is trying to take over ALL responcibilites so that way less people have a chance of being hurt. Rand in this series is one of, if not the most UNSELFISH character in the book ... As you read through the books, look how his personality slowly changes so that he can handle the burden of saving the world. He has memorized in his head all of the woman that have died for him and through that emotional torrment he is inflicting on himself, he is trying to "harden" himself to do what needs to be done to save the world. To be truthful, I really wish Rand would start being selfish again, in the beginning of the series he and Mat are almost carbon copy characters personality wise and right now Rand is just dealing with too much stress, he needs to start delegating more and spliting up his tasks among his competent allies. Also .... I'd like to point out, Rand isn't even my favorite character, Mat is, I'd think about maybe deleting this before a Randboy shows up.

Guest Fire Lord
My question is how come Rand as the series goes is becoming more selfish' date=' uncaring, violent and horrible all toguether? [/quote']

-sighs- I'm not going to pull the Are we reading the same books? thing, I consider it an insult, but I truly can't understand how you can stick those labels on Rand. But I'm curious as to how YOU would fare if you were in his place. No doubt much better. I'll spell out what the others implicitly alluded to: no offence, but your basic understanding of Rand's character is rather skewed.

You just start to wish that one of the Forsaken destroys him, the Dark One wins and the people that Rand has been causing misery can finnally live in peace. :evil:

Out of curiosity, how's anyone going to live in peace, if the DO wins?

Guest Fire Lord
i'm told lying in a coffin can be very relaxing... 8)

Now that's hilarious! And I agree; nothing can beat that in terms of Resting in peace

:lol:

I don't think "selfish" could be a word for Rand - as previously said, he's one of the least selfish in the series. That's not to say it makes his character endearing. I get frustrated with Rand all the time, but he does have the fate of the world on his shoulders. He's changed so much, and he knows he can't go back to being simply Rand al'Thor. He's been used by so many people and he's come to realize he has to use everyone he can. And he's been fated for this; he didn't choose any of it. It seems understated, but it's one of the hardest things to have to be someone you're afraid you can't be.

Give him a break. :)

I'm sorely tempted to launch into a general tirade about your defamation of Rand's character. However, at this point I think it would be more useful to address specific issues that you have in mind. So, what specific incidents make you think that Rand is violent, uncaring, altogether horrible, and...of all things...selfish?

Okay, I get it now, you just finished Book 6! Lord of Chaos. You're right! I mean, look at how wonderfully the Tower embassy treated him, with all dignity and honor, as he was told he would be. And those from the Salidar embassy, they weren't trying to control him at all! And Alanna, what a sweet little thing she did to him. So, yes, you are right, he should have politely asked them to let him out of the box, please, and to release Min, thank you very much, and everything would have been just fine! But he's so-o selfish. I guess you would have preferred it if he let Taim do what he wanted and leave the shield in place at the Wells? Hmmm...are you sure you meant Book 6?

Your basically seeing Rand at his worst point emotionally and psychologically in the series. At that point in the series Rand is trying to seperate himself from the world and everything he cares for, and shoulder everything on his own. If you look at the prophecy Rand's emotional health is linked to the land, and the unabating snow is in part a reflection of his emotional stability.

His emotional state does level out after some key points in the story line in books you aren't up to yet. And at that point he starts letting some key people back within his confidences (some he probably shouldn't but thats another topic).

You just have to understand that even as messed up as Rand seems in some parts of the series he is still handling all of the problems lumped on him better than most would be able to.

Archived