DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Outside the Tower (Closed)

Phelix

OOC: Continuing the historical posts, here is Rhys' first trip outside the Tower after joining up.

~~~~~~~~~~

During his tenth month as Dedicated, Asha’man Dendric selected him to go on a recruiting mission. During their ride to the Traveling grounds, Dendric told him that the m’Hael and the other Asha’man were beginning to think Rhys was lazy. Few men took more than 9 months as a Soldier or Dedicated. Most men were made asha’man within a year to a year and a half… and here was Rhys, almost over two years in the Tower, taking more than a year as a Soldier, and no sign that he was ready to claim the title asha’man.

With that rebuke, Rhys wasn’t much for conversation once they Traveled to the countryside somewhere far away. At their destination, Dendric let Rhys stew and simply rode the direction he wished to go. Within an hour, they arrived at a small fortified town. They were met at the gate by guards.

“Outlanders, what business have you in Nagora Keep?” His voice was firm, but his hair tinkled with bells. Arafellan then.

“We are here to speak with folk, to share and gather news, that is all. We have coin to pay for our meals and lodgings, and we will be on our way tomorrow.” Dendric was calm and didn’t seem worried at all. Rhys wasn’t sure that this place would have any likely recruits.

Apparently that confidence carried them over, and the guards let them enter the walled town.

They found a quiet inn and had lunch while a room was cleaned for them. The food was simple fare, a hearty stew, crusty bread, and a good red beer. Dendric began to work the room, chatting with people, flirting a bit where he could, and getting a good feel for the people there. He came back to the table and asked a question.

“Rhys, do you know any songs?” He grinned.

“I do know a few, yes… but why?”

Without an answer, Dendric grabbed Rhys by the collar and hoisted him on top of a table. “Sing, lad!”

After a brief stammer, Rhys began to sing a soft, sweet ballad, the kind of song men sang in Far Madding to show their devotion to their wives… and the audience hated it. Gritting his teeth, he finished that song, then launched into a faster song, one meant for dancing. The words and tune were not entirely proper for a man to sing in mixed company, but the crowd loved it. Halfway through the second verse, a drum and fiddle joined in on the tune, helping him keep rhythm and pitch. From that point on, any time his song ended, the crowd would suggest another. If he begged leave to get a drink, two ales were set at his feet. If he claimed hunger, meat and bread were brought.

In the end, he claimed a not false need for the privy. When his business was done, he rushed and climbed up the stairs to his shared room with Dendric. The asha’man was already in his bed, sleeping soundly. Rhys hated him for a moment.

Not as much as he hated Dendric in the morning when he read the note left for him:

Rhys,

I’ve decided to test you. Right now, you are 15 miles from the River Erenin. You can follow this river the whole way back to the Farm. A boat will do it in a week or two, but by foot, it will take you a month. Get yourself home and we’ll talk about challenging tasks.

Dendric

Rhys growled and looked for anything of use. Dendric had left him some silver, but not much. He hadn’t brought his own coin, because he thought he was off on a mission for the Black Tower. Anger grew in him, and he almost shattered the windows, but that wouldn’t actually help anything.

Regaining his composure, he left the inn and began walking toward the river. It was easy to find, and he passed a few farmer’s carts heading into town. It took him all day, but he made it to the river. There was a small ferry, but he decided not to cross it. Why bother crossing today? He has weeks to do that.

That night, he camped beside the river. He was competent with weaving Fire, as any Dedicated had to be, so staying warm wasn’t a problem, even here in the Borderlands. He used Water and Air to catch some fish, and had himself a pleasant night roughing it.

After five days, ‘roughing it’ had become less pleasant. As he trudged down stream, he started to hear singing and music. He came around the bend of the river and saw a small merry band of Tinkers slowly making their own way down river. Just as he saw them, he noticed a pair of huge mastiffs letting him see that they saw him. Their jaws dripped with slobber, but he knew they weren’t violent dogs. He knelt down and began petting them, scratching their collars and bellies, and before he knew it, he was absorbed in playing with the dogs.

“Well, you can’t possibly be a threat then, can you?” The voice belonged to the most beautiful man Rhys had ever seen. His hair was raven black, his skin a dusky tan, and his eyes bright green. Unfortunately, his clothing was equally bright, in shades of yellow, orange, purple, and teal.

“I mean, ummm… well, they’re nice dogs, you see…” Rhys blushed and trailed off. “I’m Rhys.”

“Hello Rhys, and yes, they are nice dogs… but they’re supposed to be guarding our backs while we travel south. There are bandits and sometimes trollocs in these woods.” He gave a stern glare to his dogs. “Now, you shall not have a bone tonight lazy hounds.”

The dogs began to whine, and rub against their master’s legs… then they jumped up and put their forepaws on his chest and shoulders, while they slobbered apology kisses all over the man’s face. The man tried to hold his stern look, but broke into laughter during the dog kisses.

“Rhys, I am Kristov. I am the Seeker of our band. Will you join us by the fire for luncheon? I don’t suppose you know the Song?” He spoke while shushing the dogs and moving them back towards the wagons.

“I know a few songs, which are you wondering about?” Rhys followed, feeling a bit confused.

Kristov smiled. “Not a song, The Song… it is what we seek, why we travel, why we never settle.”

As they entered camp, another man and woman joined them, with three children, and a second woman came and hugged Kristov. The midday meal was hearty and interesting. They had ice peppers, but mixed them with rice and chicken in the style of Tarabon, and served them with a green sauce that Riona said she learned from a grandmother in Illian. Their wine was local and fresh, so it was tart.

Their meal was a boisterous affair. The children each had to be convinced to try the new combination of tastes, and then must be fed seconds or thirds. The hounds wanted their food too, and throughout all of it, someone was almost always making music. Riona had a light, lilting singing voice that twirled around her husband’s baritone. They both played the flute and would take turns accompanying the other. The children all had drums, and played them with a skill well beyond their years. The other couple, Marin and Eirie, played the lute and a tambourine.

The music shifted constantly. Some was familiar, songs he’d learned in Far Madding or heard from gleemen visiting the Farm. Others were exotic, from far off places. Marin and Kristov played one tune on the flute and lute that they claimed they learned in a land far across the Wastes. Rhys wasn’t sure he believed them, but the song was oddly tonal and sounded unlike anything he’d heard before.

After a good meal, they agreed that since they were traveling the same direction, they should travel together. They walked all afternoon and into the evening. When they camped, their next meal took the same basic pieces from before, but served them entirely differently. Rhys was shocked that the tinkers could transform such simple ingredients into such delicious food. Riona said the trick was spices and herbs… they make all the difference.

That night, the children were put to bed in the second wagon, and Riona and Eirie danced the Tiganza for the men. The look on Kristov’s face told Rhys that they were a true love match. Eventually, Marin and Eirie climbed into their wagon and settled down with their children, leaving Kristov and Riona alone with Rhys.

Riona served them hot tea with wild honey as they talked around the fire, about places the tinkers had traveled and places Rhys wished he could go. As the fire burned down, eventually Riona pulled Kristov to his feet. Their eyes met. They smiled, and Riona reached to Rhys’ hand as well.

“Join us, Rhys?” Blushing, Rhys did climb into their wagon with them, and that night, he learned pleasures that he’d never had before.

Over the next weeks, they followed the River, and Rhys fit into their daily routines. He helped fish for food, he helped push stuck wagons, and he kept a watch out for trouble. He never channeled around them, for fear of driving them away. He spent his nights exploring pleasure with Riona and Kristov.

When they arrived in Haddon Mirk, Rhys knew he had to tell them. They were days away from the Black Tower, and the people they met were full of rumors. Rhys had taken to not wearing his black coat, keeping it in the wagon to keep it clean and himself cool, but he pulled it out that night.

“I have to be honest with you all. I’m not just some man wandering in the woods.” When they laughed, he kept his face stern. “I was left in Arafel by my teacher, and getting home was a test. You’ve all helped me, and I’m grateful for that and for everything else.” He looked at Kristov and Riona, letting his gaze linger on their reflected love.

“I am an initiate of the Black Tower. I am a man who can channel.” He hung his head and waited. There was silence, and then Riona started laughing.

“I told you, Kristov! We kept hearing about these black coats, and when he wandered in, I knew it… but you said no, he couldn’t be, or else he’d have channeled himself away.” Her eyes twinkled with more laughter.

“What is a channeling man doing walking down the Erinen I say? I didn’t think he could be!” Kristov was laughing too. “Oh, don’t worry Rhys. My dear wife’s brother has gone to the Tower. We know that men like you aren’t monsters, just because… and you’ve done what you can to be just a man for us.”

The Marin and Eirie smiled too. Apparently, when Riona’s brother showed the signs, they wanted to take Rien to the Black Tower, like they would a girl to the White, but their father refused, so Kristov, Riona, Eirie and Marin broke off into their own Company, and took Rien to the Tower. Now they will grow as they should and do what they must while they follow the Way of the Leaf.

The tinker company stayed with him all the way to the gates of the Black Tower. They camped briefly and were allowed to visit Rien, but moved on after less than a week.

When Rhys found Dendric, all of the anger he’d felt at being abandoned flared back up. The peace of the Tinkers had soothed it some, but seeing Dendric’s grinning face made it all come back.

“Did you enjoy your tri-” Dendric’s words cut off as Rhys’ fist filled the Asha’man’s mouth.

“I challenge you, Asha’man Dendric. Tomorrow, at dawn. Fists and the Power.”