DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Who should Rand have chosen as his true one love

Jawcromwell

I realise this topic may have already been discussed, but as I am new here I hope I will be forgiven.

I always felt that Rand copped out of choosing only one of the three women in his life ( maybe it's the Aiel in him).

For me it should have always been Min, she always had his back. When he was wrong she would tell him but not in a condescending way. Early on in the series she understood him and what he was going through.

Unlike all the petty squabbling and jealousies directed toward him from Egwene and Co. Which brings me nicely onto Elayne. When Rand says without Elayne he would not have learned how to rule, I disagree with him. He was already surrounded by people like Lan and Bashere and Tam.

The problem with Elayne is she would rush headlong into things, disregarding good advice, causing death of others, with this self righteous belief of I am always right and always took umbrage with any constructive criticism. And even when proven wrong was never contrite in any way. So no not Elayne. This is a woman I would run away from not to.

Aviendha I quite like, but even she thinks that men left to their own devices would ruin themselves.

I also don't subscribe to this " If you do not like some of the women characters, you do not like strong women". This to me is just rubbish to discourage any discussion on the subject.

I like strong characters to be both male and female. I do not expect them to be right all the time. I do expect them to be humble and acknowledge when they are wrong. When characters fall outside this remit, do not be surprised when readers find characters like Elayne annoying.

Sorry about going on to long, think I might have been influenced by RJ, but that's another thread.

Min is my favourite. Who's yours and why?

I think the point of the three women was not for Rand to choose one of them, but for the the three women to choose each other over a man. In most fiction, if this happened, the would sabotage one another and squabble but I think it was very progressive of RJ to have the three sit down and agree that their sisterhood was just as important to them as their love for Rand. Its just icing on the cake that Rand loved all three of them as well. 

Interesting observation, had not thought of it that way.

The only thing I would say if it had been Mat with 3 women interested in him, Elayne would have been scandalised that he was leading these women on. Remember when she thought it was despicable that Mat was taking advantage of Queen Tylin ( How could a queen be interested in a scoundrel like Mat ). When she found out that Mat was the hunted, she thought it was hilarious.

What you say could have merit because Rand is involved, but I really do not like Elayne. Tired of her do as I say, not as I do attitude and yes Mat is reckless and off hand, but has never deserved the treatment he gets from Elayne. Considering how many times he has saved her.

True, that's why she and Nyneave apologized to him. Under the stern approval of Aviendha, I might add. Which just goes to show you how much more important the bonds between the three women are to their character development than their relationship with rand. Look how the other two women affected Elayne as a character. Min's viewing made her a reckless fool, that much EVERYONE tells her, but Min herself was angry at Elayne treating her life as secured because of it. It shows how much she trusted Min with her life. min, who in most fiction she would have hated as a romantic rival. Aviendha on the other hand grounds her and shows her to value other cultures and humbles her. On a final note, go easy on Elayne. She is reckless, true, and uppity but she grows out of those later on. She even trusts mat with the armies of her nations. After all, Elayne is no Mary Sue. She has flaws too. Like all the other people in the books. That being said, I love how human her thinking processes were when Aviendha confessed she had slept with Rand. She wanted to knife Aviendha, hahahaha. But in the end, her love for her future sister won out petty jealousy.

Edited by Forshookt

3 hours ago, Forshookt said:

I think the point of the three women was not for Rand to choose one of them, but for the the three women to choose each other over a man. In most fiction, if this happened, the would sabotage one another and squabble but I think it was very progressive of RJ to have the three sit down and agree that their sisterhood was just as important to them as their love for Rand. Its just icing on the cake that Rand loved all three of them as well. 

Agreed, and that's the Aiel way.

Remember Gaul? He loved Chiad and wanted nothing to do with Bain, but he had no choice. If he wanted to be with Chiad, he had to learn to live with Bain.

IMO, that's the most hilarious romance in the series. It's almost enough to make one understand Aiel humour. :laugh:

Edited by solarz

Bela.

Okay, kidding aside, I wonder if another idea for the Dragon Reborn would have been that his soul was divided into three based on the trauma of the first events and imparted into Rand, Perrin, and Mat.  In that case, you could have Rand with Elayne, Mat with Min, and Perrin with Aviendha.

While interesting, we know channeling is tied to the soul, wouldn't your theory mean that all of them should be channelers? Besides, if anyone should end up with Perrin, its Min, since they share a close bond after spending winter together after the events of Falme. But Min was pretty darn sure what she felt for Perrin was more like sibling love. Also, Min does not interact with Mat again after book 6 (coorect me if I'm wrong) until she is appointed Doomseer by Tuon. Besides, Mat and Tuon are the best couple. Why break em up hahaha?

22 hours ago, Forshookt said:

While interesting, we know channeling is tied to the soul, wouldn't your theory mean that all of them should be channelers? Besides, if anyone should end up with Perrin, its Min, since they share a close bond after spending winter together after the events of Falme. But Min was pretty darn sure what she felt for Perrin was more like sibling love. Also, Min does not interact with Mat again after book 6 (coorect me if I'm wrong) until she is appointed Doomseer by Tuon. Besides, Mat and Tuon are the best couple. Why break em up hahaha?

Well, Rand was the Dragon and he can't channel anymore (and I would presume that he would get the power back in his next reincarnation).

4 hours ago, Sabio said:

He will, he people burnt out/stilled can channel once more when spun out again.

And if that's possible, triparting a soul should with channelling and non-channeling parts should be as well.  I also I wondered if that was an idea Jordan might have played around with, not that it was what he actually put into the book.

I always saw it as sort of a fail safe device by the pattern, so you couldn't run about stilling everyone making it so the pattern runs out of people who can channel.  Just like someone balefired will still be reborn.  Because if you couldn't be reborn ever again some insane person like Ishy could get the male statue and try to balefire everyone.  I think the pattern has these fail safes built into it to ensure it continues.

Well, you have to look at how polygamy is viewed in the series, primarily by the Aiel.  The Aiel see nothing wrong with a man being married to multiple women.  In fact, they see it as honorable for the women to put their friendship and love for each other above their love for the man, and to share him.  So, he was never going to choose one of them.  They each loved him, and he loved each of them, and, in the Aiel way, they chose to share him instead of fight over him.  

newbie here, fan of wheel of time and just discovered this site that I have been visiting before registering 

who should Rand be with, well he does love his women Aviendha/Elayne and Min equally. Though of course he spends alot of his time with one of them more than others but it still doesn't stop him from loving the 3 equally. Would obviously want to spend more time with the others if he could, and to me each one has problems of their own that they cause.  He has already chosen the three of them they belong to him as his girlfriends as he belongs to them as their boyfriend

the 3 women are his true loves

Edited by vysterian22

3 hours ago, vysterian22 said:

newbie here, fan of wheel of time and just discovered this site that I have been visiting before registering 

who should Rand be with, well he does love his women Aviendha/Elayne and Min equally. Though of course he spends alot of his time with one of them more than others but it still doesn't stop him from loving the 3 equally. Would obviously want to spend more time with the others if he could, and to me each one has problems of their own that they cause.  He has already chosen the three of them they belong to him as his girlfriends as he belongs to them as their boyfriend

the 3 women are his true loves

Yes I agree with you but if he had to choose one of them, I think, it would be min. Since only she has the mortal life like us. The other two will live hundreds of years with him anyway...

1 hour ago, Sururi said:

Yes I agree with you but if he had to choose one of them, I think, it would be min. Since only she has the mortal life like us. The other two will live hundreds of years with him anyway...

my problem with her is that it seems like she insults him all the time, someone who cares wouldn't be calling him names or insulting him all the time. Maybe I'm wrong but it also seems to me that she is way to needy and clingy to Rand as well

If I had to really choose one It would be Aviendha

8 minutes ago, vysterian22 said:

my problem with her is that it seems like she insults him all the time, someone who cares wouldn't be calling him names or insulting him all the time. Maybe I'm wrong but it also seems to me that she is way to needy and clingy to Rand as well

:) it is her nature, she was way worse before meeting Rand. Expecting different something from her would be unnatural. She expresses her love that way...

The problem with Elayne is she would rush headlong into things, disregarding good advice, causing death of others, with this self righteous belief of I am always right and always took umbrage with any constructive criticism. And even when proven wrong was never contrite in any way. So no not Elayne. This is a woman I would run away from not to.

I agree with this fully. I hate Elayne. I rather Rand just have Min and Aviendha. :)

• 1 year later...
On 3/30/2018 at 6:13 AM, vysterian22 said:

He needs somebody to remind him that Dragon Reborn or not, he is still just a man. Min loves Rand, not the Dragon.  Elayne would have no interest in Rand if he weren't the Lord Dragon. Avi might or might not.  I like her much better than Elayne, but not as much as Min.