DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rand in Cairhien being blasted by Sammael in Illian???

dalewb

Dear Forum,

During the battle of Cairhien, Rand is standing on his wooden tower with Egwene and Aviendha when it gets blasted to smithereens by Sammael.... in Illian.  I'm trying to understand how this is possible.  During the battle, on at least 2 occasions, someone is reflecting on how hard it is to channel at a distance.  One of those people is Rand, the freaking Dragon Reborn, arguably the most powerful male channeler in existence.  If he's having trouble channeling at a moderate distance, how can Sammael channel lightning bolts out of the Cairhienen sky from Illian?

Thanks in advance,

Dale

Sammael was in the area, and close by. Perhaps among the Shaido at the time? He was trying to goad Rand into Lanfear's trap. The attack on the Tower was one such instance. Not only did Sammael indicate more attacks had been done by him after the Tower, Mat indicates this as well.

Thanks everyone!  That makes a lot more sense.  Referring to Lanfear's trap - was that what she was doing down at the docks the day Moiraine tackled her into the doorway?  I don't recall what the trap was all about, nor what Sammael's part in it was.

That wasn't part of the trap, Lanfear discovered he had slept with Avi and went into a rage and tried to kill Avi and either kill or capture Rand.  The trap I believe was to have Rand go after Sam where Rhavin, Gren, and Lanfear would be waiting.  So Sam was to keep provoking Rand until he went after him.

Edited by Sabio

On 3/21/2018 at 8:28 AM, Sabio said:

That wasn't part of the trap, Lanfear discovered he had slept with Avi and went into a rage and tried to kill Avi and either kill or capture Rand.  The trap I believe was to have Rand go after Sam where Rhavin, Gren, and Lanfear would be waiting.  So Sam was to keep provoking Rand until he went after him.

Ah Lanfear, the ex girlfriend from Shayol Ghul (in this case, literally).  I could easily see her trying to crash Lews Therin's wedding with a half drunk bottle of Cristal from the previous night.

• 1 month later...

Sammael stood on the Illian side of a gateway he opened using inverted weaves to hide where he was and used the storm the girls had raised to send the lightning bolts down marching across Rand's Maidens and the Tower, then closed it when he saw his handiwork had the desired effect.