DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

URGENT! ALL READ! ABOUT THIS BOARD'S PROBLEMS!

Elgee

Jason has asked that we give him 1 list of the problems we are experiencing with this board. To that end, I will post a list of things we've come up with so far.

If you have anything to add to it, please post here within the next 24 hours.

Please only post here if you have something to add, or want to correct something I or someone else has posted here, or you need clarification. Do NOT spam this thread - I don't have time to wade through spam to gather the needed information.

Please tell all DM members you know about this thread, so they can post here too if they can think of anything to add.

24 hours! Go!

Songstress said:

* Extremely slow response when posting, especially in larger threads but even in small ones

* Missing the feature to click on the number of posts in a thread and see which users have posted/how many times (we love this for tallying roll call points)

* Unable to search for all posts by a specific user name without a search term (which makes ISO in mafia impossible)

* Unread content does not include threads from private boards

I'm not 100% clear on all the notifications issues because I don't request notifications for many threads - but I know those who rely on notifications to keep current on threads they follow/new threads in forums they follow/etc.  have serious problems with it.  I do know that I used to be able to have a regular site notification when a new thread is posted in the forums I follow (Introduce Yourself, for one), and now it sends me an email instead. 

Edited to add:

* Unable to view/edit BB code - that was a feature of the old site that I used a LOT when I was formatting a complex post.

* Unable to see post numbers in a thread (i.e. this is post 2 in this particular thread) - used a lot to refer to a specific post in a mafia game without having to quote it

I added:

To expand on the Notification problems which Tress mentioned:

The biggest issues with this board is that

a) Trying to figure out how to set notifications is extremely difficult. I've tried several ways, and not managed. It's not user friendly.

b) It seems to be inconsistent, in that it will only notify me of SOME new posts in SOME threads I follow. No clue why this is, but it renders the whole notification system basically useless.

c) When you click on the notification drop time menu at the top right (the image of the bell), it only brings up the latest however-many, not ALL unread posts / threads. I'm not sure what the cut-off date or amount is, but if it's been a busy day or I've skipped 12 hours, I miss out on the earlier notifications.

d) also re above menu: When using that, you can't really tell which notifications you've clicked on, and which not. Again, renders the system useless.

Cannot get email OR board notifications to tell me just ONCE that there's a new post in a thread I follow - it gives me an email / notification for each post.

Clicking on "go to first unread post / message" doesn't always work. Especially in private messages.

Trying to format a post is an absolute nightmare. It just inserts random spaces, you can't indent, there's no undo button, there's no "remove coding" button (looked like a capsule on the previous board), and inserting anything from something like Word makes it go haywire. But you HAVE to write up a long report in something like Word, because you can't format it on here. Catch 22.

You can't quote quotes.

Wow, that post covered many of the ones I knew about, so I only have one to add, I think: When searching for keywords in a title of a post, nothing pops up at times, even though I know the post exists (For example, I searched for "Brother's Keeper", but nothing popped up. However, the thread did exist, but I found it only by accident when searching for other things).

Just now, Mrs. Cindy Gill said:

the missing frame from old dm that listed the five newest created threads makes it even more difficult to keep up with what's going on,

You don't see off to the side, the newest threads with posts? I see it. Though my main screen isn't narrow, either. (I'm using Firefox browser, as I'm guessing that might be causing the difference)

I could add a frozen (that's what it made of "few dozen") things to the formatting issues, like the way it randomly inserts emoji or text corrections where the cursor ISN'T, or the bizzare autocorrect red t that creates errors (I'm leaving that "red t" in by way of illustration), but I think it all falls under the bad text interface category.

1 minute ago, Jagen Sedai said:

You don't see off to the side, the newest threads with posts? I see it. Though my main screen isn't narrow, either. (I'm using Firefox browser, as I'm guessing that might be causing the difference)

I see the newest posts, from any threads. I don't see the newest threads. I see someone necroed a thread here or posted in a mafia game there, but what I'm interested in are the new threads that have been posted. I can get the new post information by looking at the main forum, it doesn't need its own frame.

On 3/15/2018 at 12:24 AM, Mrs. Cindy Gill said:

Tagging isn't working for everyone.

Do you mean that some people don't "get tagged", or that they are unable to tag others?

I don't even know how to tag someone, to be honest, or what it then does.

30 minutes ago, Elgee said:

Do you mean that some people don't "get tagged", or that they are unable to tag others?

I don't even know how to tag someone, to be honest, or what it then does.

@Elgee

you use the @ and start typing a user name. It pops up users for you to choose from, and you choose the one you're calling.

for most people, they get a notification that they've been tagged in a post, and they come check it out.

for at least one person I've spoken to, @blank, she doesn't get the notification that she's been tagged.

which is a shame because it's one of the most useful new features imo. 

I have also tagged people and they're not getting the notification, either. I also think this is one of the coolest new features.

Also, I don't know if this is a problem per say, but we used to be able to turn off our signature if we didn't want it showing up in a post; now we can only turn it on or off for all posts at the same time. I really enjoyed being able to use it in some posts and not others (very useful for RP).

And lately, whenever I receive a notification pop up at the bottom of the screen, I see the white text that says "You have a new notification", but the rest is all black (black text on black background) so I cannot see what it is. I don't remember this occurring before (the problem), but it does it now.

Edited by Jagen Sedai

What happened to the color palette? It would show up sporadically for a while after the site came back online, and it's never in my formatting controls at all anymore.  If I have to add color to a post (or even if I judt plain feel like it), I have to do it manually. And some colors require an actual RGB code instead of a color name, which means with no palette, you have to go look it up before you write your post. Brown is 964b00, according to Wikipedia. The forum doesn't recognize the color name, apparently.

18 hours ago, Mrs. Cindy Gill said:

@Elgee

you use the @ and start typing a user name. It pops up users for you to choose from, and you choose the one you're calling.

for most people, they get a notification that they've been tagged in a post, and they come check it out.

for at least one person I've spoken to, @blank, she doesn't get the notification that she's been tagged.

It’s hit or miss. I got this notification!

18 hours ago, Kaylee said:

When you open a PM, it doesn't give you the option of going to where you left off. Instead it always takes you back to page 1.

This one I find incredibly frustrating!

23 hours ago, Mrs. Cindy Gill said:

@Elgee

Aah ok. I didn't get the notification of a tag, just that you quoted my post.

23 hours ago, Kaylee said:

When you open a PM, it doesn't give you the option of going to where you left off. Instead it always takes you back to page 1.

Yes that drives me nuts! Happens on some threads too, but ALL the pms.

On 3/15/2018 at 10:57 PM, Arie said:

Mobile texting and the autocorrect is a nightmare when writing a post of any length. 

Arie, please be a bit more specific about what exactly the problem is?

Often when writing things on this forum from my phone, the text pad just drops and disappears. Like clicking outside the input box. which then often means I end up hitting submit, back to forum, or some other link around the input area. No other site does this to me.