DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Ryrin

What is the best quality of the Ogier?

I have to admit, I was surprised by their fierceness in battle.

How do you think the Ogier will be portrayed in the TV series?

I think their ability to be gentle and thoughtful, along with their ability to be fierce and courageous in battle.

Meh, I don't dig the violence and I'd have just as soon they were conscientious objectors, but they already had the tinkers and the author clearly wasn't a fan of the leaf way.

their main role to me was as witnesses. They saw, they wrote, they preserved what was. We have no story without Loial.

Great point, Cindy! 

However, the very world was at stake, so they were needed to fight or there would have been no further stories to tell. 

They could have left and taken the story. Everyone ended up battling in the last battle but that's not something I enjoy in books, and it's not among their best qualities to me. They're giants and they can swing an axe. Sure they can come with a chopper to chop off a head. Meh, most anyone can. 

I really think their purpose im this hero's journey and piece of lit and all is the classic one of the witness. That's their main reason for being.

I meant there would be no further stories if the dark had one had won the last battle. I think the Ogier were needed for that. All were needed.

On 3/15/2018 at 7:50 PM, Mrs. Cindy Gill said:

Ya, I get that, I just don't think it's their best quality

I just like the Ogier all around. Their innate nature appears peaceful.

What do you think about their ability to make sung wood and stonework?

I would agree with that. More of their identity and purpose is tied up in building and creating but unlike the Tinkers, they will fight strongly as a last resort.

While I agree that Ogier creativity is certainly a great characteristic, I would also highlight the value which the Ogier pace on life (we are even told that they tried to give life to stone) and the way in which they protect it.  Most Ogier characteristics can be understood in terms of this, including

- maintaining the  Steading as places where all life is at peace

- The planting of the groves

- The care they take not to damage trees

- Respect for the elders, who have more life experience and

- Their readiness to defend the world.

Hey, so on the Ogier being violent in the books I think it somewhat adds to the Ogier as a whole. While they avoid violence whenever they can, if they have to they will defend themselves and their groves, and I think that makes a stark contrast to the tinkers, some of which end up serving the shadow in memory of light I believe. The point of that was likely to show the flaw in their philosophy, accepting evil because you are not willing to fight it. It just shows that Ogier are willing to fight when they need to it just takes a lot to get them to. 

As for my favorite trait about them though, it is probably their willingness to debate and have open discussion. Even though most of the others already planned to open the book of translations they still heard Loial out and were open minded enough to be convinced. (referring to the opening paragraphs right after the table of contents in towers of midnight)

Great points, Liam!

Ogier have so many admirable qualities.

Thank you!

I am joining this SG hopefully soon so I'm sure all of the Ogier here will have many more 😊

Great! Just be aware there are some technical issues and some members can’t post.

rip, well I'll be happy to talk to those who can until it gets fixed, quick question though, can you join multiple SG's?