DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Cross

Study Hall

so we all have it in us, the desire to learn new things, investigate to understand other things, its kinda a core thing for the Browns. but also i think people as a whole. it keeps us sharp, keeps us moving forward as a people. be it small or large, shallow or deep, we're all studying and learning something new all the time. for work or play, or just because we're curious. we are investigative beings. 

so i thought this place needed a thread that shines a light on that. on what you're currently studying, what you're investigating, what you're learning. it can be a new job skill, a creative outlet, it can be something more personal that you feel free to share, like how to be in a new relationship, or how to get through a tough time. or even something you WANT to learn at some point. post it here! let's talk about it, see if anyone around can help you learn something new. who knows you may even find something new to pursue or join someone elses pursuit of knowledge! 

main thing, what are you currently learning? 

me personally, i've just begun to learn/examine how to draw chibi style. they're cute, little people that is entirely out of the realm of what my natural artistic inclination is. 

Cross, I buy courses on sale from The Great Courses (Coursera has free ones.) The courses are from actually lectures from Universities across the world.

These are currently in my audio library:

1. Medieval World. 36 lectures. Professor Dorsey Armstrong at Purdue University

2. The Other Side of History: Daily Life in the Ancient World. 48 Lectures. Professor Robert Garland of Colgate University .

3. Great World Religions: Judaism. 12 lectures. Professor Isaiah Gafni. Hebrew University of Jerusalem.

4. Practicing Mindfulness: An Introduction to Meditation.  24 lectures. Professor Mark. W. Muesse. Harvard and Rhodes college.

5. Mind-Body Medicine: The New Science of Optimal Health. 36 lectures. Professor Jason Satterfield. University of California San Francisco School of Medicine.

6. Peoples and Cultures of the World. 24 lectures. Professor Edward Fischer. Vanderbilt University.

7. Death, Dying and the Afterlife: Lessons from world Cultures. 24 lectures. Professor Mark Berkson. Hamline University.

8. The Mayo Clinic Guide to Pain Relief. 12 lectures. Professor Barbara Bruce. 

9. Earth's Changing Climate. 12 lectures. Professor Richard Wolfson. Middlebury College.

10. Modern Economic Issues. 36 lectures. Professor Robert Whaples. Wake Forest University.

11. God and Mankind: Comparative Religions. 8 lectures. Professor Robert Oden. Dartmouth.

12. History of World Literature. 48 lectures. Professor Grant L. Voth. Retired. Purdue.

13. Comparative Religion. 24 lectures. Professor Charles Kimball. University of Oklahoma.

14. Moral Decision Making: How to Approach Everyday Ethics. 24 lectures. Professor Clancy Martin. University of Missouri.

No tests and no papers. Just learning for learning's sake. I haven't listened to all of them yet.

Oh, I have two free in March.

Fundamentals of Travel Photography.

Great Music of the Twentieth Century.

Those sound like some fascinating lectures. Learning for the sake of it is awesome.

My latest topics of "study" have been supervolcanos, glass production, and silk worms. Still have more research to do, but I do enjoy learning new things. These topics just so happen to be items of interest for my latest story.

Pray tell, why silk worms? :)

This is a great topic, Cross.

oooooooo i never even thought that lectures would be available to just listen to. thats awesome!! you sure you're not secretly a Brownie ryrin? 

lily, there anything you've wanted to look into learning?

I try to log onto Khan Academy every day.

Lately I've been watching vids on Art History and Trigonometry.

In the world I'm developing, I'm getting ready to work on the second story and this one focuses on elves. They live in havens protected from the "ice age" brought on my a supervolcano by magical barriers. Since the humans are mostly nomadic in this point, and wear hides, first, and the like, I wanted to set aside my elves in the clothes they wear and what they are made from. While they will incorporate hides and such, I wanted to give them a richer quality and decided on silk. Now learning about silk worms and silk production and deciding how to work it into my world.

I like the idea of listening to, or watching, lectures on various topics. Sounds like something I should look into.

13 hours ago, Cross said:

oooooooo i never even thought that lectures would be available to just listen to. thats awesome!! you sure you're not secretly a Brownie ryrin? 

lily, there anything you've wanted to look into learning?

Our Ryrin has a wide Brown streak. lol

Probably, but nothing comes to mind right now. 

My work currently has me going through training to be licensed as a pharmacy technician.   

So I spent a large chunk of the weekend learning about the various solid and liquid oral medication dosage forms, followed by eye/ear drops and topical medications. 

Up next are injectables and medications that are used in... other orifices. :unsure:

7 hours ago, LilyElizabeth said:

Well, she did have a Brown mentor....

8 hours ago, LilyElizabeth said:

I’ve known that for a while!

15 minutes ago, Basel Gill said:

Well, she did have a Brown mentor....

That I did. :)

22 hours ago, Cross said:

Yes, a Brown streak!!  I love just plugging into my audio library anytime to listen to professors from all over!

Wow, some interesting topics here...you guys are putting me all to shame!

Currently I'm researching some international events from the past year to help the Reds out in their international women's week :laugh:

I did just finish a 6 podcast series about a criminal in LA but that really wasn't that educational.

Hmmm I seem to have lost my mojo :laugh:

6 hours ago, blank said:

Wow, some interesting topics here...you guys are putting me all to shame!

Currently I'm researching some international events from the past year to help the Reds out in their international women's week :laugh:

I did just finish a 6 podcast series about a criminal in LA but that really wasn't that educational.

Hmmm I seem to have lost my mojo :laugh:

I really enjoy IWW! So there’s that.

Maybe some of you might be able to help me out. (Where do you go when you don't know how to find the info you're looking for? The Brown Ajah, of course.) I'm trying to write a "journal" for a character in my book. It's really the backstory. She lived in 16th century colonial America. I want the language to be correct, but I can't find a dictionary or translator. Any ideas?

Lily, I have a friend who is a published historical fiction author, (US) although her books are not that far back. She spends tons of time to make sure her books are historically accurate. I can ask her.

Happy Pi Day. (March 14th, or 3-14)

Here's a fun fact. A value of pi to 40 digits would be more than enough to compute the circumference of the Milky Way galaxy to an error less than the size of a proton.

Another fun fact. Mathematicians have calculated pi to 22 trillion digits.

I am learning how to administer a Facebook group.

which mainly involves two seconds to familiarize myself with the process and the rest of my time to learn how to deal with... not smart people. Without insulting them and trying to understand things for them.  It is a challenge.

been studying slice of life comics and came across this guy. super good and thought you guys might enjoy it. 

yehuda DeVir

lol cindy, one thing i learned a long time ago in dealing with the stupid, is count to ten, and eat a cookie

15 hours ago, Mrs. Cindy Gill said:

I am learning how to administer a Facebook group.

which mainly involves two seconds to familiarize myself with the process and the rest of my time to learn how to deal with... not smart people. Without insulting them and trying to understand things for them.  It is a challenge.

I know someone who is dealing with the same thing. 

17 minutes ago, Cross said:

been studying slice of life comics and came across this guy. super good and thought you guys might enjoy it. 

yehuda DeVir

lol cindy, one thing i learned a long time ago in dealing with the stupid, is count to ten, and eat a cookie

Beautiful artwork. I didn’t have time to

look at all of them but what are his comics about?