DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Tainted Times - February 2018

Songstress

It's here!  A few days late, due to my being out of town and whatnot, but... you, my darling denizens of the Black Tower, are not forgotten!

NEW ARRIVALS

We haz them!  Three, count 'em, THREE new members joined our ranks in the month of February.

The first to brave tainted saidin was failemandarb, who also braved potential criticism of her chosen screen name as one of the least liked characters in the series.  Srsly. :wink:

We were joined next by jbarlow1, who seems to have avoided the WoT character screen name dilemma entirely. :laugh:

And finally, the extremely tainted Terra jumped right in to the insanity.

If you've missed any of their welcome threads, make sure to pop in and say hello.  Or whatever crazy thing strikes your fancy, because this is the Black Tower, and random gibberish in way of greeting is certainly not out of place.

PROMOTIONS

We does not haz them!  (Yet...)

Staff is discussing potential changes to the promotion requirements, stay tuned for details and/or actual promotion-type things!

ANNOUNCEMENTS

Our February Saidin Class (i.e. Welcome to the Black Tower, and What in the World Do I Do Next?) is underway - it's still early in the process, so if you're new around here and a bit lost (or not so new but still lost), sign up here (or give Nikon a poke).  If you're unable to view the Farmhouse to see these threads, please let us know so staff can make sure the admin in charge is soundly beaten about the head and shoulders.

EVENTS AND GAMES

Darthe is currently looking for signups for an advanced mafia game, apparently about a girl.  Or "About a Girl".  Whichever.

For the non-mafia-players, Niniel hosted a Winter Olympics game in the month of February, which has now ended because the Winter Olympics has also ended.  See how that works?   If you have suggestions for other non-mafia games we can run for fun and profit, feel free to post them here. 

AROUND THE BLACK TOWER

By popular request, this new section will (at least until such time as the board software allows people to stay current with private boards and notifications) link to the new and/or popular threads in the BT public board and other boards visible to members only.  I shan't include the usual social group business threads like the roll call and the points reporting/spending threads - unless that's something folks feel they need.   And this thread will be updated through the rest of the month, until the next Tainted Times is issued, with newly created or newly popular threads.

Forthwith!

The New Hotness (threads started since the last Tainted Times, February 1st):

You are invited to watch a Harry Potter Joust at the BotRH

Welcome to the Black Tower, failemandarb!

Welcome to the Black Tower jbarlow1

Welcome to the Black Tower Terra

2018 Winter Olympics

I want a garden and will pay with points

When does spring start?

My Asha'man Coat

February Saidin Class (2018) (private board)

Ithillian vs. DJ training match (private board)

Leyrann vs Illian Tear (private board)

Old and Busted?  (older threads that have seen recent activity):

Saidin Classes for BT Members

Marvel Universe - need some help here

The infamous 250,000 post thread

The Way of Kings

Saidin class signups: next class starting soon (private board)

Challenge Thread (private board)

OTHER

The 250,000 Post Thread update:

As of February 1, 2018:          237,370 replies

As of March 4, 2018:              237,437 replies

67 posts in a month?  Guys.  We're slacking.

The Battle for Spam Supremacy:

Black Tower:                         711,031 posts (up 444 from February)

General Discussion:            981,875 posts (up 3,328 from February)

Between D&D and the mafia forum, we languish further behind than ever.  Have we lost our will to spam?  HAS THE BLACK TOWER BEEN GENTLED?

~~~~~~~~~~

This has been your February Black Tower news, brought to you by the letter TAINT and the number YELLOW.  

Journey before pancakes ~

~ Tress, Storm Leader of the Light 

Edited by Songstress

I thought Egwene was the least liked character in the series...

Then again, I like both Egwene and Faile.

5 hours ago, Songstress said:

If you're unable to view the Farmhouse to see these threads, please let us know so staff can make sure the admin in charge is soundly beaten about the head and shoulders.

Not sure if Verb likes getting beaten.

The 300,000 Post Thread update:

As of February 1, 2018:          237,370 replies

As of March 4, 2018:              237,437 replies

67 posts in a month?  Guys.  We're slacking.

The Battle for Spam Supremacy:

Black Tower:                         711,031 posts (up 444 from February)

General Discussion:            981,875 posts (up 3,328 from February)

That's actually bad.

Also, D&D?

Journey before pancakes

Wrong forum.

Thanks for the tainted times! Where does the time go?

other games that have been popularbhere are hunger games and I think monopoly?

less mod intensive games that got a lot of traffic were elimination games.

oh, suggestion, since new content isn't working and there's no good way to spot new threads, might we keep a pinned post with new and/or reactivated threads?

The Find new posts button will only show content on public boards. That means you have to trawl through everything to find stuff. Also it's really slow to load cos basically it's now a compact version of the main site. It used to be stripped back which really saved on data and loading. So there's no quick way to just check what's happening now. So Tbh I don't really check as often cos it's a pain.

Yeah, the mobile version, which is what most of us use I think, is cumbersome and difficult to navigate. I also dont bother much anymore and when I do, I miss most of what I would be interested in. 

There isnt even a new threads tab on the main forum page, just the five most recent posts on the whole board, which is completely useless.

Edited by Mrs. Cindy Gill
Not to mention the ridiculous weird doubling of words and other typing oddities

Well, there's some staff discussion going on anyways, I'll add the point of a post with recently active threads to it. It'll probably be on one of the sub-boards though, not the main board. Wouldn't want to clog too many pinned threads on a single board.

Well I guess that would help people who are already members and have the time to go searching private boards but the problem with notifications is exaclty that we're not getting the new content info from private boards. Plus putting it on a sub board would cut any traffic it might gain for those threads to about nothing, as we're hoping to get new people and non members as well as busier or frustrated with new software old members interested and posting but... you know, I guess one pinned post might clog whatever board where no posting is going on so, ya.

Edited by Mrs. Cindy Gill
Really the worst text interface ever

New Tainted Times section added above: Around the Black Tower

By popular request, this new section will (at least until such time as the board software allows people to stay current with private boards and notifications) link to the new and/or popular threads in the BT public board and other boards visible to members only.  I shan't include the usual social group business threads like the roll call and the points reporting/spending threads - unless that's something folks feel they need.   And this thread will be updated through the rest of the month, until the next Tainted Times is issued, with newly created or newly popular threads.

Thoughts?