DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

When does spring start?

Leyrann

Definition of seasons according to wikipedia: A season is a division of the year marked by changes in weather, ecology, and amount of daylight.

I would argue ecology supports the meteorologists more, and so does (obviously) weather.

(also, just making sure, this argument is still in good spirits, right?)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup. Meteorological spring was invented not long ago to allow for an easier comparison of weather compared to previous years. Basically it only exists so weatherfolks can say if it was hotter,colder, wetter, dryer etc than previous years. It's just for stats.

Astrological spring has been around the whole time.

But it's harder to use it for stats cos it moves about. Pesky thing.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/learning/seasons/spring/when-does-spring-start

Edited by Ithillian Turambar

7 minutes ago, Ithillian Turambar said:

And I'm gonna need more seasons.

Winter

Fake spring

Winter returns

Grey Dismalness

Spring

Grey DismalNess 2

Hint of Summer

Downpour

Blooming heck it's like 1976 all over again

Ha! Rain Summer

Autumn

Months of grey

Winter

England doesn't count.

You're even more famous for it than the Netherlands.

You'd have fun with a lunar calendar. An extra leap month of 20 days (Adar B) is added every few years, according to a mathematical computation and solar observation that I can't figure out, to keep the Hebrew lunar year anything at all in line with the solar year.

this is one reason why anything to do with arbitrary dates on a calendar are meaningless to me.

at least you can build a henge and figure out the solstice. Or see when the days start to get longer than the nights or the sun comes back after going away even if you lose track of the days or months or years.

Ley, was your mission to attempt to argue a nonsensical position to engage in deflection and water muttering? That seems to be what you are doing. 

BTW, I just spent about 20 minutes outside clearing Ithi's car of what must have been imaginary snow since it is now spring according to you and therefore it could not possibly be snowing :dry:

Your confusing or incorrectly taking as the same two different versions of "seasons". The Seasons are Spring, Summer, Autumn, and Winter. They are set by the previously mentioned soltices and equinoxes. A period of time when the the weather may be relatively constant (locally) can happen at any time for any length of time. They are not the same.

3 minutes ago, Turin Turambar said:

Ley, was your mission to attempt to argue a nonsensical position to engage in deflection and water muttering? That seems to be what you are doing. 

That's not what I'm doing.

I'm arguing for an easy to use definition of the seasons, that is directly related to our calendar and therefore doesn't change compared to the system we're used to.

Then again, I guess you guys also *still* use inches and feet... Why am I even trying? :tongue:

We already have a system that has the seasons match up to a specific date on the calendar (accounting for leap year). You need it to start on a 1st of the month? Why? Is it so hard to remember?

Your idea for Spring on March 1 doesn't make it simple, it makes it inaccurate. But then it was made up by meteorologists which everyone knows aren't real scientists :laugh: Heck they can't even tell us if it will really be raining tomorrow half the time. (except here because it is ALWAYS raining)

I'm fully versed in Metric as well. Don't get me started on Stone tho :wacko:  :biggrin: