DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

When does spring start?

Leyrann

46 minutes ago, Talmanes said:

@Leyrann I know that part, but converting it from any random temp from F to C not so much lol

My work is sending me through training to become licensed as a pharmacy technician, and all this week I've been working through a very long course on calculations.  Lots of learning different measuring systems, including metric, household measurements, apothecary, avoirdupois...  And I learned the formula for converting between Fahrenheit and Celsius.

It's not hard, but it's an extra step... and since our weather reports in the US are given in Fahrenheit, we don't think in Celsius.  

It's easy enough to Google the answer anyway, instead of taking the time to subtract 32, multiply by 5, divide by 9.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/6/2018 at 2:03 PM, Turin Turambar said:

The seasons are directly related to the solstice/equinox events. The weather may not be exactly relatable to the seasons. 

Winter solstice: shortest day of year

Spring equinox: day/night equal

Summer solstice: longest day of year

Autumn equinox: day/night equal

The new season starts at each event. Period. 

This is true no matter where you live, even Australia. Their seasons are inverted from ours so I can guarantee that Spring doesn't start on March 1st there. But it will start on their spring equinox. 

Quoted for truth. I didn't even need to read the next two pages, as Turin has quite eloquently stated what I would have said. Also, what a lovely English village you guys live in! That was a beautiful, peaceful picture. 

10 hours ago, Gentled Ben said:

Quoted for truth. I didn't even need to read the next two pages, as Turin has quite eloquently stated what I would have said. Also, what a lovely English village you guys live in! That was a beautiful, peaceful picture. 

Nope.

Seasons are defined by the weather, therefore they're not defined by the solstices and equinoxes.

Wow, look at that--first thing that comes up when you Google it: http://www.npl.co.uk/science-technology/time-frequency/time/faqs/when-do-the-four-seasons-officially-begin-(faq-time)

It looks like lazy meteorologists just lump some months together in four equal groups, while the actual dates for the seasonal changes are the solstices and equinoxes. Can't wait for Spring to get here! :smile:

Edited by Gentled Ben

4 hours ago, Leyrann said:

Nope.

Seasons are defined by the weather, therefore they're not defined by the solstices and equinoxes.

In that case, I would be correct that Phoenix only has 3 seasons - spring, summer, and hell itself.

3 hours ago, Gentled Ben said:

Wow, look at that--first thing that comes up when you Google it: http://www.npl.co.uk/science-technology/time-frequency/time/faqs/when-do-the-four-seasons-officially-begin-(faq-time)

It looks like lazy meteorologists just lump some months together in four equal groups, while the actual dates for the seasonal changes are the solstices and equinoxes. Can't wait for Spring to get here! :smile:

No, it looks like meteorologists divide the year into even groups that are easy to reference and use while having them match up as well as possible to the weather we associate with the seasons, while astronomers use a system only tangentially and very indirectly related to the weather which, to top it off, changes every year.

14 minutes ago, Songstress said:

In that case, I would be correct that Phoenix only has 3 seasons - spring, summer, and hell itself.

Yup.

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, Illian Tear said:

Are we really still arguing about this? Summer doesn't start until June 21st in the Northern Hemisphere and December 1st in the Southern Hemisphere.

No.

I was just commenting on the April heatwave we have here that would be noticable in July as well.