DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Open Discussion for All Active RP Members

Taymist

well the beer in my system tells me that, instead of dividing the RP areas place-wise, maybe we could divide them timewise?

But maybe it would complicate things with HoA's and such?

For the step forward thing, if we need to recreate lore and things, make we could make a brainstorming group? So that all the motivated people could join in the fun ?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if you want to stay with the books.  Why not let the cannon be cannon and we react to the story but can't actively change it.

So for example.  For Jan to March we are running the Eye of the World.  You may use any events in these books but you cannot interact with cannon, you can be there, participate but you can't be change the events.

Then from April to Jun you'd move into The Great Hunt.  Set a timeline that advances regardless of players.

9 hours ago, Chaelca said:

well the beer in my system tells me that, instead of dividing the RP areas place-wise, maybe we could divide them timewise?

But maybe it would complicate things with HoA's and such?

For the step forward thing, if we need to recreate lore and things, make we could make a brainstorming group? So that all the motivated people could join in the fun ?

I think, overall I would like to keep the boards as is, especially with all the work put into them by the staff. But on the flip some, some consolidation could work. I personally think it'd be cool to set many Randland nations on only 1-2 boards (North and South, for example) and have RPers state, in the very top OR the title of their post, what country they're playing in.

I hope I'm not digressing ~_~ We already do have one board for RPs that have nothing to do with the PSW, and I think that's cool.

4 hours ago, Matalina said:

So if you want to stay with the books.  Why not let the cannon be cannon and we react to the story but can't actively change it.

So for example.  For Jan to March we are running the Eye of the World.  You may use any events in these books but you cannot interact with cannon, you can be there, participate but you can't be change the events.

Then from April to Jun you'd move into The Great Hunt.  Set a timeline that advances regardless of players.

I LOVE this idea. A LOT. <3 I would definitely support this. I think the only thing I would change though, possibly, is the timeline for running books. Why only 3 months? I feel this is too short. Way too short. Perhaps that's just me, but threads can take a bit of time to complete, and I'd want to do multiple threads for character growth and experience per book. I'd propose setting each book at 6 months minimum. This also gives incoming players time to join the fun, before it's suddenly all over. If I've learned anything these past few years getting older, it's that time is going faster, somehow!

4 hours ago, Matalina said:

I am also leaning this way. I also feel that IF there is an event that we want to participate in, we would have to organize it and then get admin approval. 

I would also stretch out the timeline a little more over the course of a few years, if we re-fresh. This way we can play things out a little more and it's easier for new people to "level up" and join in that timeline. Creating a small mini-pocket for novices and such that might have their own timeline. (aka: Novices are dealing with the news of an Accepted that jumped off the tower only weeks before her raising. Black's know she was pushed.) (and yeah, that happened IC at one point. >.>)

I'm good with a sweep archive and fresh boards for the OOC stuff. (or at least the private things of the past have no weight so one archival forum makes sense). I have thoughts on OOC organization in general... but it's inconsequential for the time being.

Three months was only an example.  But I wouldn't suggest more than 6 months.   Biggest problem with the main plot line imo is that in the history of DM it has NEVER been finished.  We reset it and it never ends.  If we set a time line that's recorded then eventually it'll end we'll hit the last battle and then you'll get some place else.  We can always start another PSW that restarts it over again and the characters can either continue in the old one or reset to the new plot line and go again.  A little hand waving is necessary to do that but it's possible, we've done it for years with resets.

so 14 books at 6 months gives you 7 years to completion... 

We have a set book storyline. We can also fudge what we want -since we're a PSW anyway-. I have a really fun idea for the White Tower if this is an option if we do a reset. (Shifting the old timeline into the outside stories, and let our characters that are there keep the memory without the impact of it on the current storyline.)

I do want to know if, unlimited characters can be a thing. We can set up rules and guidelines (and expectations) for activity on said characters... but it does weigh heavily on whether i bring back a character or not to help fill said ranks... And if others feel negatively on the unlimited part. (seeing as we do have activity checks.. and there are ways to use that as a way to enforce strong expectations on activity for said characters).

• 2 months later...

I'm going to weigh in on this, by saying, I've never once considered or participated in a main plotline story arc. It has never interested me in the least. 

However, I do not think that moving out of the books time frame is a good idea. Especially if that is what differentiates us from other WoT RP sites. I want to play in this world, not one that is made up, in this case.

14 hours ago, _Kynwric_ said:

I'm going to weigh in on this, by saying, I've never once considered or participated in a main plotline story arc. It has never interested me in the least. 

However, I do not think that moving out of the books time frame is a good idea. Especially if that is what differentiates us from other WoT RP sites. I want to play in this world, not one that is made up, in this case.

I am in this boat. I interacted a little with the main storyline but only in so much as it was awesome for my character's development and that's what interests me most. I'm perfectly content playing in the world without even moving the main story forward, I'm more interested in the character than the finale. Sandbox world vs defined ending. :)

What Lavinya and Kyn said. Pretty much how I feel, (as a writer), too.

Just to be clear, doing a reset back to Book 1 is not an option. There's been far too much work done to wipe it all out again and past resets just confused the issue. Not taking that route.

We've already drawn a line under everything up to Book 11. I'm not going back over the same ground. If people don't want to jump ahead of the Books, then it's all about how we go forward from our current point.

I'm prepared to increase the number of characters per Group but it's not going to be completely unlimited.

I think if we moved the storyline, we should get the Last Battle going, and move forward from there. We don't have to worry about putting together the WT, and Rand spent book 11-14 just killing a few Forsaken, right? (I mean, what major things happened in books 11-12-13 that would be relevant to us in our PSW?)

Just my thoughts.

So far, my character hasn't had any kind of  influence on the main plotline so I agree with you all.

Jagen makes a very nice suggestion *nods*

OH, actually I have a fantastic idea that would help new (and returning, and even currently active) members keep on top of what exactly IS going on: @Taymist, can you begin a "PSW News & Rumors" thread in which our characters (whoever/wherever they are), can know what is going on as far as the big main timeline goes?

For example (a book 3 example):

"[General] Rumors of Aiel spotted in Tear"

Followed by....

"Ajah Eyes-and-Ears send reports to the Tower that the Stone of Tear has fallen to Aiel."

While a farmer in Andor might not hear the Stone has fallen, we all know OOCly that it has happened, and at least ICly certain groups (like the WT) will hear about it faster than others.

I think this would be quite useful to have, as a "Just So You All Know" sorta thread.

Thoughts?

For my two cents, I have never been involved in a major plotline either; they all happened before I actually started at DM.  I always just do character development/touring the world and such as there is such a large cast of folks that we never actually see on screen, and plus we are in a PSW anyway. The major events in the books obviously frame what's going on in the world, but there is so much left to explore outside the major stuff. 

I do, though, think the idea of going through the books 3-6 months at a time is a really cool idea.  Perhaps that could take place on a board that's not part of the main boards, since Tay overruled anything previous to KoD?  I think the idea of pre-books is cool too, as a side RP, but I don't like it as the only way we RP here.  I actually like sitting about Book 10-11, as it has opened up so many more possibilities regarding kinds of characters and events.

I'm fine with getting the LB going though, if that is what everyone agrees on :).  Basically, I'm flexible and don't feel strongly either way about moving along or staying at 10/11.  Helpful, I know lol.  Maybe I would feel stronger if I did a reread and had a better memory of the events in 11-14.  

I do like the idea of more characters allowed though. Aes Sedai are my favorite characters to write and it could help move things along well if those who were active allowed more.  I suppose it depends on what is meant by activity/active though :). 

Ok, having read through all this (minus any spoilers), this is where I'm at.

• On a personal level, I like writing in the world of the Books as we do now. Despite the interest factor of going backwards or forwards, it's not what I want to do. I suspect I'd simply stop writing completely. I chose to RP at DM because it's specifically within the Books' timeline, as a few others have mentioned. Having given it more thought, I'm not inclined to change it cold. I don't mind if we arrive naturally at a point where we're ahead of the Book ending and have to start getting creative, but I don't want to deliberately put us there now.
  • Although I don't want to move the PSW backwards either and start redoing content yet again, there is not, and never has been, any reason why individuals can't do retro RP's covering any time from EotW onwards. There's specifically a retro board for doing just that. I would suggest marking the title or adding a tag or brief descriptive comment in the first post to let others know the time period/what events you're writing before/after/concurrently with. If you want to go hunting men who can channel with your Red, knock yourself out. 
  • If you want to RP prior to EotW.... go visit the Turnings board and ad lib to your heart's content.
  • I like Mat's suggestion of directing the main timeline from on high, in the vein of "here's what's happening for the next 6 months for the whole PSW" and then moving things along regardless of activity. I think a post on The Welcome Inn each time with a general outline of events would work. Nothing to stop people continuing or retro-ing things after the 6 months but at least everyone knows that it's now past on a global level. If anyone wants to volunteer to do this, please do, unless you're Mat in which case...NO.
  • Taking note of how many of us are more interested in the character development than the main plot events, I like the idea of giving ourselves some breathing space by stretching time out rather than being confined to the Books' time span.
  • I don't personally care whether we actually reach the Last Battle or not. However, I understand that the aftermath would be appealing for some people and far more fluid in terms of creativity. It's possible, but not a given,that if we ever reach that point, we could indeed split boards to allow people to choose their preferred timeline. For now, I don't want to splinter what little activity there is. 
  • As far as character count goes, I'm prepared to increase it from 3 to 6 characters per RP Group. I think double is more than sufficient for the time being. With the caveat that it doesn't apply to new members unless and until they've proven their ability/reliability.
  • I love the suggestion of freeing ourselves from the main characters and the book events going forward and taking the responsibility for developing any action on ourselves. Becoming more of a true PSW and focusing more on the character driven side rather than the main plot... which works rather well with the 6 month stages too. The questions then would be do you want to deviate completely? If not, what changes do you want to make? If so, what do you want to happen instead?

Any more thoughts/input/things you want me to consider at this stage?

*nods* Sounds cool, Taymist :D

I like this idea of

directing the main timeline from on high, in the vein of here's what's happening for the next 6 months for the whole PSW"

That was my intention with the "Rumors" post I suggested; perhaps the idea(s) can be combined into one post?

If you want to go hunting men who can channel with your Red, knock yourself out. 

I'm already working on a scheme to do just this :D

do you want to deviate completely? If not, what changes do you want to make? If so, what do you want to happen instead?

I think the major stuff still needs to happen, but no need to rush it. I wonder if I'm the only one who wants one  or two of my characters to take part in big events, though. :| Further comment I don't really have; I want to see others' opinions first.

Edited by Jagen Sedai

12 minutes ago, Jagen Sedai said:

That was my intention with the "Rumors" post I suggested; perhaps the idea(s) can be combined into one post?

I would think so. Maybe the "news" part is the official timeline stuff for the 6 months and the "Rumours" part can be a heads up of smaller details and events taking place within each Group.

I'm already working on a scheme to do just this :D

Awesome. :smile:

I think the major stuff still needs to happen, but no need to rush it. I wonder if I'm the only one who wants one  or two of my characters to take part in big events, though. :| Further comment I don't really have; I want to see others' opinions first.

I agree it still needs to happen and I have no objection, along the lines of the Cleansing discussion, to people figuring out a way to achieve an effective RP of these events. What appeals to me is the idea of making those events more about us and less about the Books. For instance, our Perrin is actually a complete waste of space and bears no impact on the storyline of the PSW. We could do away with him completely. There's no reason why we can't do away with Calder/Mat being any more than Jarron's/the Dragon's boyhood friend and a very skilled commander of armies. We can take the whole Ta'veren thing back a notch effectively and reduce their overall role in our world. The DR can still be the ultimate focus of the Last Battle but I think it'd be nice if it was our PCs who achieved most of whatever needs to be achieved, in concert with each other. 

10 hours ago, Taymist said:

I like Mat's suggestion of directing the main timeline from on high, in the vein of "here's what's happening for the next 6 months for the whole PSW" and then moving things along regardless of activity. I think a post on The Welcome Inn each time with a general outline of events would work. Nothing to stop people continuing or retro-ing things after the 6 months but at least everyone knows that it's now past on a global level. If anyone wants to volunteer to do this, please do, unless you're Mat in which case...NO.

hehe.  This is one of my absolute favorite sites: http://www.stevenac.net/wot/wotchron.htm

It's too bad it stops at book 12!

here is an image that might help: 9AQXaK1.jpg

We used to have a summary of the books in pdf format here too.  But I can't find it.

11 hours ago, Taymist said:

As far as character count goes, I'm prepared to increase it from 3 to 6 characters per RP Group. I think double is more than sufficient for the time being. With the caveat that it doesn't apply to new members unless and until they've proven their ability/reliability.

Why limit it like that.  That's almost unlimited characters specially with Freelander Guilds...  there is a finite amount of time.  The limits were imposed so people didn't over extend themselves and back in the day.  Why not have a site wide limit?  A maximum of 24 active characters.  No limit on where.  If you think you'll end up top heavy I think that's okay.  Limit the 'ranks'   like you may only have one sitter, storm leader per each alliance or former div

Hmm site wide might work better actually. My main concern was not ending up with, for example, Kat and Chae getting hit with a huge workload at the WT. It's maybe not an immediate issue but if activity was to increase due to renewed interest, that could be nasty. Saying that, if it did increase to that extent, I guess there'd also be more options for extra staff so. Trying to think of everything makes my head hurt... but that sounds like a practical solution to me. Be interested to hear what everyone else thinks...

Another option is to train all current staff to approve all bios regardless of group.  And then they only have to be 100% with their leveling up process.  

You could also distribute the work load by week or by day.  Monday Kat checks bios, Tues, Cha,, Wed Kyn, Thur Cass, Fri etc....

You could also stream line the ranking process.

Say for example... 

General Ranks increase...

1 personal development RP 5 posts 200words each  per rank.

So for a Novice it's 1, an Accepted its 2

If it's an OP 'class' BT, WT and Kin (Seanchan too if they channel)

1 OP rp 5 posts 200 words each per rank... (same as the general rank)

For WS increase stick with the warders 1 weapon/training rp per WS increase   

it would take streamlining all the different groups but I don't think it'd be hard to do most already have 3 levels to gain full rank.

And then any staff member could approve anyone's rank increase.

Honestly, if we get that busy again, you just bring on more staff to balance the load. *nods* after all, most of you carry more than one title on the site. Sharing love is important to avoid burnout.

I have other thoughts on this, but I'm not sure how to articulate them yet...