DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Open Discussion for All Active RP Members

Taymist

51 minutes ago, Matalina said:

Another option is to train all current staff to approve all bios regardless of group.  And then they only have to be 100% with their leveling up process.  

Current staff can do this already when necessary, the bio submission is centralised so if any don't get picked up, whomever is available can approve and post. Although in practice, it's me that's covering because it's not an issue just now. 

51 minutes ago, Matalina said:

You could also stream line the ranking process.

Yeah, that's kind of where my head's been going having been looking through all the Freelanders stuff. Simplified and site wide would be much better. I've been waiting on Kat getting back from her LOA to deal with some of this as it needs a staff discussion. Another job on the list. :smile: 

Ok ... so let's agree on a site wide maximum then and I'll update the main info posts. 24 works for me. Unless there are objections, I'm going with that.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does this work for our main characters? I think it stays true to our existing PSW canon and frees us from extraneous people. How we choose to utilise the Main Three and Extras going forward... if at all... is then much more flexible.

Our Main Three (We have existing bios for them)

Jarron al'Tanin - The Dragon Reborn. The only Ta'veren. BT NSW.

Calder Berrick - In charge of the Band and the Legion of the Dragon. Not Ta'veren, simply an amazing Commander and Jarron's trusted friend/ally. Band NSW.

Nana al'Meara/Nynaeve - Jarron's other friend and ally. Strong in the OP. Helps him with the Cleansing. WT NSW.

Extras (We have existing bios for them)

Elnora Trakand/Elayne - Jarron's love interest. Queen of Andor. Strong in the OP. WT NSW.

Ruan Andradem Shoa Paendrag - DotNM. Calder's love interest. Empress of the Seanchan. FL NSW.

Incidental/No longer relevant (We have existing bios for them)

Eldwene al'Varin/Egwene - WT NSW. Strong in the OP. Friend to Jarron but they've grown distant since she joined the WT and focused herself on being Aes Sedai. No further role in the main timeline.

Mariana Damar/Moiraine and Logan Allianin/Lan - They found Jarron, Calder and the girls and got them where they needed to go. Job done.

Qulias/Loial - Back with the Ogier/his family. No further role to play other than as a mentioned friend.

Jasin al'Kar/The Prophet - Now dead. Our Talmanes equivalent is in charge of the man's forces/followers.

Don't exist

Perrin

Faile

Min

Aviendha

That cull is brutal but I actually love it. I always had a soft spot for Perrin but the rest of them I wouldn't have missed at all. 

I am really liking your proposals Tay. I'm only interested in main plot line in that the RPs could be fun to join in with, not because I'm desperate to play them out. I'm really happy just playing out my little story in this fictional world. If we wanted to come up with brand new big plots that work for us, I'd be all for it, I don't feel bound to the books (certainly not anymore, after so much time away), I'm just bound by the character I enjoy. Freedom to play with her makes me happiest and so I'm all for your suggestions.

If we get so overwhelmed and busy we don't know what to do, let's celebrate first, then I'm sure ideas for how to deal with it will be forthcoming to meet the particular need. I don't think we need to set out hypothetical plans for staff and their roles. Counting chickens something something. :)

Very nicely put, Lavinya, and exactly how I feel about it. I have a soft spot for Perrin being a wolfie at heart but, he's really not relevant to the Wolfkin.

And you're right about the staff things. It's easy to get blinkered and a bit tunnel vision when you're Staff (or have simply been immersed in something for a long time). Tend to get bogged down in detail. That's why I wanted to throw this open to all of the members rather than having a closed discussion in private. Sometimes the suggestions are so obvious once somebody else mentions them that it makes me facepalm at myself. :blink:

Just read through this all. I really like where these ideas are going. As a newbie, I'm obviously more focused on building up my character (2 characters if my Novice is approved) and getting to know you guys more. I've been having a blast thus far, so thank you everyone for being so welcoming.

That being said, I'd love to get more involved with 'main plot' RP's, but that won't happen till I get Merdyn up in the ranks. 3 - 6 month events sound fantastic, and as others have said, the events don't have to stick to the books. What if, for the next three months, one of the Forsaken is unloading tons and tons of Trollocs through the Waygates? Cities are being assaulted and the heroes (us) need to defend the cities and figure out where all of these Trollocs are coming from. That could even culminate to a battle with said Forsaken. We don't have to win, just like a 'mini-boss' encounter. The events can just be writting prompts that happen sitewide. How does the BT react? The WT? The Band? Etc. I think things like that would be nice, especially if we do not rush forward to the Last Battle. It would also be a nice way to encourage crossing groups for RP without having something too major happening.

We can also pick out a few major events from each book and put a calendar together for it, if people want to do big plots. Like for the month of October, *spoilers TGS* The Dragon is collared by Semirhage *end spoilers TGS* (just an example) and whoever is interested has until then to plan with the other players (what they want to do, how are they getting their characters there, etc.) and for that entire month (or less if we decide to conclude it sooner) to RP that one event.

In short, I am down with whatever you guys want to do. I'm just happy to RP in Randland.

Edited by Oddpositions
spoiler warning

What appeals to me is the idea of making those events more about us and less about the Books.

YES! This would be fantastic.. if WE made the major changes instead of the ta'veren :p

@Matalina That timeline is hilariously written. And a good visual. :)

Tay, I really love that list. Is that posted elsewhere?

Edited by Jagen Sedai

Yes, it's posted in the official "Start Here" thread on this board where everyone can read it. I literally just updated all the info in that thread over the last week. This one is my new adaptation of the existing list though. If everyone approves, I'll need to update the official post with this version. Then I intend to pin the bios for the active main characters on the Bios board.

I'm good with streamlining ranks, overall character cap, and the timeline stuff. *not much to add anymore* I caution only that it isn't made too streamline that each group loses its identity (as the WY did within the WT for many years). But i guess that falls upon the leader of each group to uphold the interest.

A valid concern. I wouldn't want to see that happen either. Streamlining is good but I also don't want to lock individual groups into things that don't work for them. One size fits all is rarely the case. We'll have to keep an eye on that as we go along.

• 1 month later...

I wish I read this post earlier. It seems like some decisions have been made, but I have thoughts...

I actually really like the idea of moving on from after the Last Battle. All of the groups are fully fledged and formed, and we really don't have to deal with main characters. We can create the Fourth Age in our own image.

Having been a couple of main characters, I can say that it was kind of a jumbled mess and usually I had little idea of what was going on most of the time. I like Mat's idea of giving time limits for each book. What about doing that from here on in until we reach the Last Battle, then we can take our characters wherever we want after that? It'd be nice to finally finish. 

Or alternatively, just skip ahead to the Last Battle, fight it, and move our characters on from that point. 

As far as character numbers, I feel like you should be able to write as many as you can or want to handle, with the exception being that newbies have to fully establish a first/primary character before they can start on others. 

That said, in the end, it doesn't really matter to me one way or another. The main reason for me being here is to be creative in a world that I've loved since the 8th grade... More years ago than I'd like to admit.

Never any harm in sharing further thoughts. It help me to know where everyone's at with preferences. :smile:

Couldn't agree more about the whole jumbled mess thing, it applied to the entire PSW in my opinion. Thankfully with the lovely Official Timeline that Myst worked up, and the work Jagen's done for the WT, it's not nearly as bad as it was.

22 hours ago, The Don said:

I like Mat's idea of giving time limits for each book. What about doing that from here on in until we reach the Last Battle, then we can take our characters wherever we want after that? It'd be nice to finally finish. 

This is what we decided to do going forward. 6 month chunks per book starting with Book 11 which is where we were up to. Just haven't had time yet to do the first write up. Happy for anyone who has time to take that job on to do so as I'm going to be swamped through to September now.

22 hours ago, The Don said:

As far as character numbers, I feel like you should be able to write as many as you can or want to handle, with the exception being that newbies have to fully establish a first/primary character before they can start on others.

I think the total decided on will be more than sufficient for the active members at present. Even those who write loads. If anyone actually hits that limit and wants more, I'll look at it again.

• 1 month later...
On 6/30/2018 at 6:47 AM, Taymist said:

This is what we decided to do going forward. 6 month chunks per book starting with Book 11 which is where we were up to. Just haven't had time yet to do the first write up. Happy for anyone who has time to take that job on to do so as I'm going to be swamped through to September now.

A write up containing what, exactly? I can probably do this. I'm running out of things to do, as I've finished gathering information on the Seanchan and everything I could find on the Atha'an Miere (which isn't much).

• 3 weeks later...

I guess the rough high points that are happening in the Book which applies for each 6 month period. Where people are in the world, what events are taking place. Anything specific that people want or need everyone else to be aware of that's effecting specific RP Groups... e.g. Cass might want everyone to know about a specific Band RP. I've forgotten most of what was discussed in the thread so I'd need to refresh it to remind myself where the idea was coming from. But essentially, it was intended as an overview direction of what was current and at the end of the 6 months, we'd move on to the next bit regardless of where individual RPs had got to. If that makes sense.

Yes, I like this! While gathering Ajah RPs,  I marked important ones and included them in the revised WT Timeline of events. Having an inter group one would be awesome. Since I've gathered lots of info from various groups already, this should be "fairly easy", heh. I still need to do a thread for the BT, which seems like the biggest challenge, but one I want to tackle soon, then the Aiel. I haven't touched BotRH,  but I think someone else should do that. In the least I'd need help with it, and I'd welcome BT help, too. I also don't have plans to touch upon Shadow related things. 

But anyway, yes, I'd love to do this task. 

Edited by Jagen Sedai

• 2 weeks later...

I don't mind you doing the same for any of the RP Groups but when it comes to the BT, Band and Wolfkin, clear it with Cass first, please, as she's the RGL for them. She has a long list of threads that are hidden from view at the moment but that she was already working on to update how she wanted everything to look following the reorganisation of the RP Sections. I wouldn't want anyone jumping in and messing up her plans. Same goes for the Warders, check it with Kynwric first. 

• 11 months later...

Maybe a own board for after last battle could be an ide, start it out with last battle and then shape it forward from there but keep the current boards for generic character development and retro (which is where many train also) and I think a lot of new members will want to start in the psw "retro" time where we all spend time and worked on raising our characters. If any don't want to they could always just make their bio to be post battle and stay on that board.

I'll naturally signal that fact as clearly as I can on our main pages but we were here first. Not sure there's much we can do without creating an entire new board which I have no wish to do. And to be fair, at various stages the RP has contained spoilers for those of us reading the Books too. We didn't change things every time someone was just starting to read the series. It's their responsibility if they join a long established forum, in my opinion. But we'll be flexible where we can and naturally listen if people have suggestions. :smile:

Also pssst....this thread is locked. :wink: It was a closed discussion, finished months ago and Lii resurrected it. My fault for not locking it sooner. Need to check for padlocks.