DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Brown Ajah Chocolate Week: Recipe Hub!

Cross

chocolate.jpg?fit=931,524&ssl=1

We all love food. We all hopefully love chocolate. And here we love COOKING with chocolate!

Welcome to the Chocolate Recipe Hub! 

And while we want to see all of your favorite chocolate centric recipes, we really want to see recipes using chocolate in a slightly different way.  Have a recipe for Mole? or a unique Hot Chocolate? Or there a recipe for chocolate in chili? Pork? Lets have em! 

Look em up, do a little exploring through the web's recipes. share what you'd like to do, what your favorite is, and what you may dare to try sometime!

Mmmmm chili with chocolate, yes.

i usually use a combo of diced beef and ground beef, and a little diced or ground pork, about 2-3 lbs total. Brown all with a minced onion,  a little gralic at the end. Add green chilies if you like very spicy, a couple chopped bell peppers, and fry in a small can of tomato paste. Add about a quart or more of any kind of tomatoes or rotel. Beer if you like it, beef base, Worcestershire, 3+ tablespoons chili powder, 1+ teaspoon cayenne, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1 + teaspoon oregano, 1/2 teaspoon thyme, 2-3 tablespoons cocoa or unsweetened chocolate, salt and pepper to taste, a nice shot of Tabasco.  No I don't measure any of it and I substitute freely because chili is a stew of leftovers usually.

cook that until all the meat is tender and it's reduced down.  People add beans, we don't but they're good.  Sometimes I'll add dried cherries, or craisins, and often whole kernel corn.

Optional - thicken with 1/4-1/2 cup cornmeal mixed in water, let tha cook another 15-30 minutes, correct seasonings and add fresh cilantro is you have any.

ryrin, that looks really good!   i've seen some with cayenne instead of cinnamon too.

oh my gosh Cindy, i need to try that! 

haha james i'd straight up just eat nutella out of the jar. 

did this one a while back. was really good. 

PULLED PORK WITH COCOA

2 cups salsa

2 tablespoons chili powder

2 tablespoons dried oregano

2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder

2 1/1 pounds boneless pork shoulder

In a 4-6 quart slow cooker, combine salsa, chili powder, oregano, cocoa and salt.

1. Add pork and turn to coat.

2. Cook covered on high 4-5 hours or low 7-8 hours.

3. Shred with 2 forks and stir into cooking liquid.

Ingredients
  • 2/3 cup ketchup
  • 1/4 cup tomato paste
  • 2 ounces chipotle peppers in adobo, with adobo sauce that clings to them, chopped fine
  • 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
  • 6 ounces ruffled kettle-style barbecue potato chips
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1 medium carrot, cut into 6 pieces
  • 1 Fresno chile, seeded
  • 1 medium onion, cut into 8 pieces
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon dried sage
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 pound ground chuck
  • 1 pound ground sirloin
  • 1 pound ground pork
  • 3 large eggs

Steps
  • Combine the ketchup, tomato paste, chipotle peppers and cocoa powder in a large mixing bowl. Remove 1/3 cup of the mixture and set aside.
  • Pulse the potato chips in the food processor until they are a coarse breadcrumb consistency, approximately 12 pulses. Transfer the potato chips to the bowl with the ketchup mixture.
  • Combine the garlic, carrots, chile and onions into the bowl of a food processor and process until finely chopped but not pureed, approximately 10 pulses.
  • Heat the olive oil in a 10-inch cast-iron pan set over medium heat. Once the oil shimmers, add the onion mixture, sage and salt and cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables soften and begin to brown slightly, approximately 5 minutes. Add the mixture to the mixing bowl with the potato chip mixture and stir to combine and cool the vegetables slightly. Add the ground chuck, sirloin, pork and eggs and use your hands to thoroughly combine. Shape into a loaf that is approximately 12- by 4- by 2-inch. Make sure to press the meat into a compact, uniform loaf. Wrap the loaf in heavy-duty aluminum foil. Set aside at room temperature for 1 hour.
  • Heat a smoker to 250 degrees F. Place 1 hardwood chunk in the smoker’s wood tray.
  • Flip over the meatloaf pouch and poke 12 to 15 holes in the aluminum foil package to allow the fat to drain off. Turn the pouch back over. Set the meatloaf in the smoker and place a drip pan on the rack immediately below the meatloaf. Cook for 45 minutes.
  • After 45 minutes, open the foil pack and fold down the sides of the foil to create a shallow “pan” around the meatloaf. Brush with the reserved glaze. Insert a probe thermometer into the meatloaf and cook until the internal temperature reaches 140 degrees F, approximately 40 minutes. Remove the meatloaf from the smoker and rest for 30 minutes before slicing and serving.
  •  

This is good in the smoker but it's also good in the oven, with or without liquid smoke.

a little hot for our tastes, so we leave out the Fresno chile. We skip the carrots if we don't have any. We don't skip the potato chips, those are a revelation. 

Edited by Mrs. Cindy Gill

Oooohhh, searching my copy me that app I found this cinnamon roasted chicken that I'd plumb forgot... got to try this

Ingredients
  • 1 whole roasting chicken
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 ⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar

Steps
  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  • Wash and dry chicken. Combine ingredients and rub over entire chicken. Place chicken in a roasting pan on a rack. Roast 10 minutes at 400 degrees, then reduce heat to 350 degrees and roast until chicken registers 165 degrees on a meat thermometer.
  • Let rest for 15 minutes before carving.

I found a recipe a while ago for Extra Thick Italian Hot Chocolate. I haven't tried it, but Barm & Frida (Raena) did, and they say it's delicious. I'm definitely trying it as soon as winter arrives here!

image.thumb.png.3300d8c91d16749909dc86d68b59d6db.png

Ingredients

• 4 oz. dark chocolate, shaved
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 3/4 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
  • whipped cream, optional

Preparation

1. Place shaved chocolate in a small saucepan over low heat and add 2 tablespoons milk and vanilla extract.
  2. Use a wooden spoon to stir chocolate as it begins to melt.
  3. Slowly add remaining milk and continuing stirring until completely smooth.
  4. Add in sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, and sea salt, and stir until everything is dissolved and combined.
  5. Once mixture boils, let it cook for another 1-2 minutes, or until thickened enough that it coats the back of your spoon.
  6. Pour into 2 mugs (top with whipped cream if desired) and serve immediately.

Easy Fudge!

INGREDIENTS
1-1/2 teaspoons plus 1 tablespoon butter, divided
2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
1 package (11-1/2 ounces) milk chocolate chips
1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS
Line a 9-in. square pan with foil; grease foil with 1-1/2 teaspoons butter.
In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate chips and remaining butter, stirring after 1 minute and every 30 seconds thereafter. Stir in milk and vanilla. Spread into prepared pan. Refrigerate until firm.
Using foil, lift fudge out of pan. Remove foil; cut fudge into 1-in. squares. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

3 hours ago, Rhea said:

Easy Fudge!

INGREDIENTS
1-1/2 teaspoons plus 1 tablespoon butter, divided
2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
1 package (11-1/2 ounces) milk chocolate chips
1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS
Line a 9-in. square pan with foil; grease foil with 1-1/2 teaspoons butter.
In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate chips and remaining butter, stirring after 1 minute and every 30 seconds thereafter. Stir in milk and vanilla. Spread into prepared pan. Refrigerate until firm.
Using foil, lift fudge out of pan. Remove foil; cut fudge into 1-in. squares. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

Rhea, anything with sweetened condensed milk is awesome. I’m going to try this. Can I throw nuts in?

Yes! I used walnuts once and pecans another time! You can also use saran wrap instead of foil and it works just as well. In fact it's a little easier to pull out of the pan and remove from the fudge, the foil rips sometimes. 

Edited by Rhea

I'm absolutely drooling!!! 

here is a classic in my family. Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies! I love these because I can put it in the freezer and make a few extra on a day to day basis if I want it fresh!

¾ cup brown sugar

½ cup sugar

½ cup margarine/butter softened

½ cup shortening

1 ½ tsp vanilla

1 egg

1 ¼ cup flour

1 cup quick rolled oats

1 tsp soda

½ tsp salt

1 cup chocolate chips

¼ cup nuts/sunflower seeds (optional)

Heat oven to 375 degrees,  In large bowl combine first 6 ingredients.  Blend well.  Stir in flour, soda, salt; blend well.  Stir in chocolate chips and oats.  Drop by rounded teaspoon 2” apart on ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake at 375 degrees for 10 – 12 minutes.  Immediately remove from sheet.

There's always this... you can make it gluten full by subbing all purpose flour

Gluten free chocolate cake

• 1-3/4 cups Ryze yellow bag (brown rice flour)
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 3/4 cup Cocoa
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup oil
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla 
  • 12 oz can soda (cherry coke or Dr Pepper are nice, any cola works and so does water)

• 1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease a 13x9 (or grease and flour 2 - 9 inch cake pans).
  •  
  • 2. Stir together dry ingredients, add wet ingredients and beat or whisk till well combined.
  •  
  • Bake in greased 13x9 until done at 350° F. This takes about an hour but I start checking at 45 minutes. Cake pans I'd check at 30 minutes or sooner.

Cool and frost

Edited by Mrs. Cindy Gill

9 hours ago, Arie said:

I'm absolutely drooling!!! 

here is a classic in my family. Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies! I love these because I can put it in the freezer and make a few extra on a day to day basis if I want it fresh!

¾ cup brown sugar

½ cup sugar

½ cup margarine/butter softened

½ cup shortening

1 ½ tsp vanilla

1 egg

1 ¼ cup flour

1 cup quick rolled oats

1 tsp soda

½ tsp salt

1 cup chocolate chips

¼ cup nuts/sunflower seeds (optional)

Heat oven to 375 degrees,  In large bowl combine first 6 ingredients.  Blend well.  Stir in flour, soda, salt; blend well.  Stir in chocolate chips and oats.  Drop by rounded teaspoon 2” apart on ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake at 375 degrees for 10 – 12 minutes.  Immediately remove from sheet.

Arie, I love oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. I’m going to try these, soon.