DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Wheel of Time real life time comparison

Guest Luthithor

Guest Luthithor

What time period from the real world could be compared to the world  depicted in the series? I'm in the middle of my first read through and I feel like understanding this may give me a better picture when clothing and architecture is described.

I have searched online for a comparison but haven't been able to find any information. Due to my lack of knowledge of historical architecture, technologies, etc, I cant come to a conclusion myself. I think I remember the alcoholic drink brandy being mentioned, which was not really discovered until the 15th century, but I feel like the world depicted would be older than that. Though this is a fantasy series though so different technologies might be shared through different time periods

Edited by Luthithor

You're not far off with 15th century. The general feel of the WOT world (at least the Wetland nations) is that of Renaissance.

The Seanchan were clearly inspired by China's Ming dynasty and its Treasure Fleet, which also puts it circa 15th century.

Welcome aboard!

But this is not the medieval period, not a fantasy with knights in shining armor. If you want to imagine what the period is, imagine it as the late 17th century without gunpowder. RJ

It is really mismatched, Jordan took a little bit from everything.

Min's clothing - I've been searching this pic for minutes before dinner without succes, but my wife came to my help (literally 8 seconds)

Whitebridge

There was a really gorgeus pic about Tremalking (not available anymore online, there is somewhere on the hdd)

just bing/google it: jeremy saliba aiel, wot wallpaper (andrea's wot wallpapers on pinterest)

check out the comic books etc.