DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

QONQR: World in Play

Andrej

QONQR is a phone app that I have been playing for nearly four years now. In a nutshell it’s a GPS-centric war game between three different factions. Using your phone’s location, you can battle for supremacy within your local area up to a radius of 30 miles, and up to 1000 miles with certain ordnances that are purchased through the game using “qredits”, which are the game’s concept of currency (and can be collected freely).

The actual play is more nuanced, but I won’t spoil it all here. There are offensive, defensive and supportive formations that can be used to wage war. Each has their advantages and disadvantages.

The story around QONQR is centered around a sentient technology that comes to Earth, which has fractured mankind into three sects with different ideologies of how to handle this new AI. The Legion (colored red) believe that QONQR will enslave humanity and will stop at nothing to destroy it. Swarm (colored green) believe it will usher mankind into an unprecedented golden age and wish to protect QONQR. The Faceless (colored purple) are militant hackers who wish to control QONQR for their own means.

The app should be available on nearly all newer phones and platforms. I personally play on iPhone but it is also available for Android. There is decently large community of players from across the globe, and the messaging apps GroupMe or Line are used to get in touch with other teammates for coordination, etc. The social aspect of the game allows for a lot of depth and fun.

So check the game out! If you decide to download and make an account, list 5thHorseman (that’s me) as your recruiter and you’ll get some free goodies to start out with. Also contact me through DM so that I can explain things a little more in depth. The game can be confusing to begin with but really isn’t hard to grasp with some guidance.

I hope to see some of you on the digital battlefield :wink:

QONQR on!

58 minutes ago, Nolder said:

Legion sounds about right.

Can I play on Kindle Fire? I don't have a phone.

I don’t think it would work on tablets, at least not the current version. You could maybe download and run the older version,  but it goes without a lot of the newer features.

• Community Administrator
4 hours ago, Andrej said:

No, mobile only.

Most tablets have GPS which use either wifi or 3g/4g. So there would be no reason you couldn't use one, unless it's like Pokemon Go where you need an active data connection, and you have to walk around your town.

Yeah, you’ll need either a data connection or WiFi to use it and the GPS to pinpoint your location. The newer version is centered on mobile phones, though. On the older version you could run it on iPods and other devices, but then you had people cheating and making multiple accounts to play with. It’s all a numbers game in essence, so the more people you had in your area the stronger you collectively are. Some people took it to the extreme and decided they’d make their own army versus recruiting and getting friends/family to play. We call it multi-scoping.

You can play on the go but you have a 25-30 mile radius for most of the formations so you can play mostly at home and cover the entire city. Or if there’s something a bit out of range, a quick drive to a store or gas station will let you do some work. It’s a pretty fun game. I like that you’re fighting over actual neighborhoods and such. It’s not like Ingress though where you have to be at the physical location to battle for it.

Edited by Andrej

I signed up and used your codename. I don't have time to fiddle with it right now, but I'll look into it later tonight. I don't want to do like I did with Pokemon and choose a faction that is powerless in my area, so can I see some sort of map before choosing? I want to know that I will have adequate support at home and at work, where I will be playing. I have no desire to be one of seven purple dudes in a town with seven thousand red and six thousand green. If it's close, I'll just pick the faction I like best, but if one of the three is quite dominant, why get my ass kicked? I'll join the rampaging mob...

49 minutes ago, Gentled Ben said:

I signed up and used your codename. I don't have time to fiddle with it right now, but I'll look into it later tonight. I don't want to do like I did with Pokemon and choose a faction that is powerless in my area, so can I see some sort of map before choosing? I want to know that I will have adequate support at home and at work, where I will be playing. I have no desire to be one of seven purple dudes in a town with seven thousand red and six thousand green. If it's close, I'll just pick the faction I like best, but if one of the three is quite dominant, why get my ass kicked? I'll join the rampaging mob...

In that case you wanna go Swarm then. The game isn’t nearly that active though, with thousands of players in the big cities. The green in greater Denver is pretty strong, from what I’ve heard, though. Pun intended :tongue: 

8A4E063C-951B-4CCB-8056-DDE0F238CD06.thumb.png.70534e3d5f8582a8417e235c4f4bf1ef.png

Keep in mind that you’ll have until lvl 100 to switch to any team without penalty - just in case you change your mind.

Edited by Andrej

1 hour ago, Gentled Ben said:

Swarm it is, then! According to that map, there is green all over my neighborhood. 

Should be easy to get yourself set up then. Once you’re in game, I’d look at the zone leaderboards nearby and find some of the locals that are still active and reach out. They’ll take care of you I’m sure.

I held off on joining because it was trying to force me into the Legion. That was the only enlistment option that I can find. It came as a "transmission," and I can't get past that screen to see if a different faction might offer to take me in. You are certain I can switch after joining, right?

You should be able to get past those screens and pick whichever you’d like. Also you don’t have to choose the automated name they offer. I don’t know why they throw all those screens at new players first versus just letting them enter their own info. It’s confusing I’m sure.

but yeah, I’m positive. You’ll need to get onto the Portal to do it. I can walk you through whenever.

A new month is upon us, and with that in the QONQRverse comes the raising of Atlantis. For several days each faction will be able to build their respective zones as high as possible and then wage an all out war on each other. On the first day of each month (UTC time) Atlantis will appear in some body of water around the globe. It must first be found by each faction before they can begin to launch into it. The Atlantis zones can be reached by anyone at any time while they are active, so this is literally a global conflict. Each event varies in length but typically there are 2-3 days of stacking (building zones) followed by 2-3 days of battle in which the factions slug it out in order to secure as many Atlantis zones as possible. The objective is easy: whoever holds the most turf at the end wins that month. The prize for winning is double harvesting capacity for the last week of the month leading into another Atlantis event.

933D715B-294F-4212-85FA-F047EAFBDDD9.thumb.png.5038f302ce524c8e1ef338133b46fdad.png

Here’s how the map looks. Each faction starts with six zones to build up as much as they can. Each one has particular rules that I won’t go too deeply into here. Just know - since this pertains to new players - that the bottom left one for each group, named “Grunt”, is for players level 100 and below only. This gives them an opportunity to fight others on an even playing field without getting smashed by more advanced players like me :) The middle zone, Atlantis Prime, is the tiebreaker in essence. It counts for two.

Legion has won the past few in a row, to include last month where this screenshot came from. Think you can stop us? :myrddraal: