DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Bennaman

Does Rand get more 'screentime'?

I am currently a little more than halfway though The Shadow Rising (Chapter 40). I'm getting frustrated with all the meaningless fov chapters Mat and Egwene are getting, when Rand could've actually influenced the plot with those chapters or pages. I like Perrin and Mat and Min and Nynaeve, etc, but why is Rand getting no development. I mean he's the protagonist. He finally stopped sulking 24/7 at the end of book 2, so I am wondering whether Rand gets some more FOV chapters further down the line. I have this weird thing where I emotionally attach to the protagonist so I'm in desperate need of more development for Rand. 

If you're looking for the Rand that was in the first two books, that Rand is gone. That Rand was an innocent shepherd boy who struggled to accept who he was. From Book 4 onwards, Rand has fully accepted who he was, and has embarked on his journey to save the world.

In a way, TDR would've been the conclusion of any typical fantasy trilogy, where the Young Hero grows up and defeats the Big Bad.

Rand's characterization shifts dramatically pre- and post-TDR. You can still see traces of the boy Rand from time to time, but the new Rand is a man. A man who can channel, with all the implications that go with it.

If you're looking for character development, some of Rand's most critical development comes from non-Rand povs.

Let me simplify the question somewhat... Is Rand going to start featuring more from book 4 onwards? He isn't getting a lot of focus. I like where his character is going, though. I just like his POV's the most

1 hour ago, Bennaman said:

Let me simplify the question somewhat... Is Rand going to start featuring more from book 4 onwards? He isn't getting a lot of focus. I like where his character is going, though. I just like his POV's the most

That depends on what you mean by "more". The WOT is a series that features a lot of secondary character POVs in addition to the fact that it has not one, but three main protagonists.

Book 4 features quite a bit of Rand, especially compared to book 3. If you're asking this question after getting to chapter 40 in book 4, then I suspect you are asking if we'll ever get back to as much Rand-focus as the first two books. IIRC, the first two books are the most Rand-focused books in the series. Latter books all follow book 4's model, more or less.

There was a topic a while ago that displays character pov as a graphic, linked below

Tldr Rand pov decreases following ~Lord of Chaos, but there are povs from a number of characters around him

Rand is protagonist in the name only, unfortunately, so you are heading towards dark waters.

Without spoiling anything, you will get a glimmer of hope in the next book, this glimmer will appear again in LOC, after that...

you are heading towards dark waters.

It's hard, I know.

/It was fun to read the wrong,. misunderstood replies./