DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
    • I can only speak for myself, but when people refuse to attempt to communicate with people outside of fully fluent conversational English, they're simply being jerks.   Though, the country (not a majority, of course), elected someone as Presidents whose platform was essentially "I'll get a jerk for you." How 'jerks' are appealing, at any level, always baffels me.
    • Now your just back-peddling.

A) Many of the stuff highlighted in the article took place between 1917 and the 1960s. So Not all of it was over a hundred years ago. WW2 was 79 years ago dude. L2Math B) Read the article. Most of it targeted Germans, not the Japanese, and that fueled growing xenophobia to target any non-English language. So much so as to criminalize any language spoken verbally in public that wasn't English in certain jurisdictions.

So again, you said I was making a slippery slope argument. I wasn't. This shit already happened, even with languages of peoples we weren't at war with!   Other countries are also not America. Australia isn't America, Canada isn't America, Britain isn't America. Which is why any argument that mentions well it worked in X country falls apart.  Those countries aren't America. They don't have the same demographics, size, bureaucracy, etc.   If you have an official language, it sets precedent in the sense that we have already ESTABLISHED/ENSHRINED in the LAW that X language is the language of the land. Which makes justifying the criminalization of any non-official language so much easier.   If you try to criminalize speaking a language, you cannot currently justify it based on any Law that states English is the official language.    What you failed to see is that we have done it in the past.  By making it a FEDERAL LAW, it makes it easier for FEDERAL LAW to CRIMINALIZE it, not just local jurisdictions that relied heavily upon xenophobia of the time to make it pass. Criminalizing it right now isn't going to happen. But making a Federal Law making English the official language (And it's not going to stop there, it's going to go down Nolder territory of all official documents, no translations, nothing) allows for congress to pass criminalization laws in the future, without having to heavily rely on xenophobia. They can merely argue "But it's the official language!"

Side Thought:
      If you want to make it so no federal agencies have to translate documents to foreign languages, cause F those guys. You don't need a Federal Law making English the Official language to do that. I'm pretty sure a Presidential Directive will accomplish that. Infact, I'm pretty sure most of what you guys want with it, can be accomplished through Presidential directives without wasting time in Congress on something so trivially stupid.
    • SI__ING / EGG / NOG   No A, T, D, R