Nikon

Unread Content on Private Boards

Is anyone else having this issue?

I cam see unread content in the unread content area but posts on private boards (not publicly viewable, meaning within the BT or Band's internal member boards) does not display on that list.

For it I still have to check the forums list and look for a BOLD title meaning I have something unread with it or one of it's sub-boards.

If this is an issue for others as well, has anyone found a solution or work around other than manually checking.

18 hours ago, Nikon said:

Is anyone else having this issue?

I cam see unread content in the unread content area but posts on private boards (not publicly viewable, meaning within the BT or Band's internal member boards) does not display on that list.

For it I still have to check the forums list and look for a BOLD title meaning I have something unread with it or one of it's sub-boards.

If this is an issue for others as well, has anyone found a solution or work around other than manually checking.

I don't quite understand what you mean?

If you click on the  'show me unread items ' button it will only show you unread items on the free access main and sub boards. Any unread items on group members only sub boards is not displayed. 

It's like its not got access to search and display those boards even if the person searching has permission to view those boards.

For example I wouldn't get unread items listed in the Blue Boards. Only stuff from the main White Tower board, Tar Valon and the Warders board.

46 minutes ago, Ithillian Turambar said:

If you click on the  'show me unread items ' button it will only show you unread items on the free access main and sub boards. Any unread items on group members only sub boards is not displayed. 

It's like its not got access to search and display those boards even if the person searching has permission to view those boards.

For example I wouldn't get unread items listed in the Blue Boards. Only stuff from the main White Tower board, Tar Valon and the Warders board.

Exactly!

Aaah ok ... I gave up on the "unread content" button. I just go by the notifications button.

Yup but you can't follow something unless you find it first as it's not as easy to see what's new if the new button doesn't show all the new stuff lol

17 hours ago, Ithillian Turambar said:

Yup but you can't follow something unless you find it first as it's not as easy to see what's new if the new button doesn't show all the new stuff lol

Absolutely! I eventually managed to set it to give me notifications of all the boards I follow, but it was far from easy and it notifies me of every post, not just once since I last read the thread.

But what if there was something interesting somewhere else. I miss the proper unread content button. I hope it can somehow be linked the the profile and the permissions of the person pressing it.

21 hours ago, Ithillian Turambar said:

But what if there was something interesting somewhere else. I miss the proper unread content button. I hope it can somehow be linked the the profile and the permissions of the person pressing it.

Yeah I agree with you very much. And once you've clicked on the notification button, it shows everything as read, so I haven't a clue what I HAVE read and what I haven't.

Could this be a possible solution?

Start a new "Stream" under the Home tab at the top of the page, then under the "My Activity Streams" button.  When I went in there, I was able to select specific boards that I wanted to view new content from (and it included all my secret boards).  It may seem like overkill, but you can select each and every board.  That way, when you click on the "My Activity Streams" and click on your custom link, every new thread should pop up.

You can specify "Content I haven't read" so only new stuff will show up.  As well as "Since my Last Visit" so it will only show the latest posts. 

I just tried this and it still wouldn't bring up any content from members only boards. Did it actually work for you. I mean I even asked for it to include stuff I'd already read and it only listed the open board stuff.

Yes, when I clicked on the custom stream I got a link to something in the White Ajah's private board.  But I had selected it under the "topics" option and selected all the secret boards.  But if you click on "topics" and then the settings wheel, you get this "Narrow by Forum" option.

image.png

image.png

Did you try it this way, Ithi? Click on each of the boards?

That is way too complicated for me. I'm not forum dumb. That's just... 

I tried it, and I can't even imagine doing that for one board. 

Theres no no way to have notifications just work like they used to? I follow a board, click, follow this, done? Cause I can't design my own web page like this. 

4 hours ago, Ithillian Turambar said:

Yup I clicked on the topics and the wheel and selected all the sub forums :(

Sorry, Ithi!  The only other thing to do is bring it to Jason's attention and he can ask the web designer.  I'm sure there's a way around it, or a plug-in that will make it work.  I'm noticing that a lot of the issues members have aren't applying to my admin status.  That's frustrating.

5 hours ago, Mrs. Cindy Gill said:

I follow a board, click, follow this, done?

Cindy, if you want to follow boards, that's simple.  There's a "follow" button at the top of every forum and subforum.  If you click on it, you can receive notifications if a new post is added.

image.png

And following individual threads is the exact same.

image.png

Yes we're having issues with Ajah Heads permissions on the TV board, and now it seems at the Cookie Mines too. I also don't have the proper Mod permissions I should have. I reported this but have not received any reply.

The notification system only gives the last few posts / threads, btw - if there have over a certain amount, you simply don't see the oldest.

I also can't get the damn thing to just give me 1 notification per thread, not a notification for each post.

While I'm at it, the search function demands that one enter a word to search, no longer just the name of the author. That makes it virtually impossible for us to check up on membership activity, which is something required in our reports.

Thank you all for being patient, at least! Though it may seem frustrating now, I think we’ll be much happier with New DM once we iron out the wrinkles.

Elgee, I PMed you about WT permissions.  I can fix that.

Also, when I tested the notifications yesterday using a regular member account, I was getting notifications from three years ago!  If you click on the “load more threads” at the bottom of the stream content, you’ll get many more new posts.  Have you seen that option, Elgee?

I just tried again and made a 'check the white tower's stream with all these things checked

But I only got stuff from the open boards. It's definitely not recognising my access on the search thing.

Also you really can't just search for a person's content with a key word. That's impossible lol. The Mafia players must be going insane. 

White tower   

Showing topics in The White Tower & Warders (Social Group), Warders Guild, Tar Valon, The Hall of the Tower, Aes Sedai & der'Manshima, Blue Ajah, Spies & Secrets, Brown Ajah, Gray Ajah, Green Ajah, Red Ajah, White Ajah, Yellow Ajah, Aspirant Common Room, The Lecture Hall, Dormitories, The Req Room (Novices & Accepted) and The Req Room (Algai & Manshima) and blog entries posted in for the last 3 days.

@Elgee Have you tried resetting your notifications in the "Manage Followed Content" section?  You can access it from the drop down list when you click on your name in the top right corner.  From there, you can set your preferences to receive only one email a day for your notifications of single threads, or complete forums.  Again, it looks like it works for me, but I'm having trouble testing it from a member's perspective.

image.png