DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

If you wanna RP with the BT and you know it, sign up here!

Cass

On 1/21/2018 at 10:46 PM, 706Somtaaw said:

To answer your earlier question Cass, the "Koras Lap" is a legacy of one of our older Asha'men who went AWOL just as I joined

(this was pre-Dalinar, I think the BT leader at the time was Niamh Zephan). Anyways, Koras was a real hardass, and the original Koras Lap was running around the outer edge of 'the Farm', before we eventually built the stone walls and started building the Black Tower. And it wasn't simply just running one lap around the entire Farm, it was running

three laps which made up one Koras Lap. Additionally, I can't remember but I believe it was also loosely timed, based on a jog, so Soldiers and even Dedicated couldn't simply walk a Koras Lap out and make the timer. Or not without receiving some form of punishment for slacking anyways.

It was a gruelling marathon run, almost specially intended to exhaust everybody before they even got started on other PT exercises, keeping everyone in a walking daze. Which had the added perk of making it considerably easier to write in how a fellow (NPC) soldier loses control of Saidin and dies nearby, which held true to the books that the Black Tower was brutal about training.

Anyways, so Koras made a big impression on several of us that went through his PT classes before he vanished into the nether, and so Covai and myself (a few others as well) once we hit Dedicated, started using the Koras Lap as teaching tools in our own classes. We taught Arath and several others, who themselves went on to use the Koras Lap when they were teaching.

It became almost a rite of passage, to get promotions you had to run at least one Koras Lap in a class, and it also became almost a pre-breakfast warmup run for full Asha'men to jog out a Koras Lap before sitting down at the Inn for a hot meal to start the day off right. 

Nice. This sounds fun... *G* I think I like this Koras dude

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/22/2018 at 1:08 AM, Matalina said:

I might be interested.... new character but I'm still not sure.  I already have a small rp group that goes up and down, not sure I can do another at the moment

22 hours ago, Taymist said:

Glad to have you any time you feel like it, Mat.

(N.B. I did put this on the Staff board but it was a while back so just to be on the record, Mat has a standing free pass from me to start from full rank in any RP Group and therefore bypass requirements completely unless she chooses to do them.)

I remember Arath and Covai mentioning about the Koras Lap, Somtaaw. I wasn't aware of the history behind it though as I've never RP'd as a BT'er. Interesting!

Also, if she ever reappears Cass, LadyGreyFist was the one active BT member before the board upgrade. She was RP'ing with a brand new character and due to the lack of activity, she also had 3 free requirement passes of her choice.

Noted, thanks Tay.

We'd love to have you if you have time Mat, pretty sure you're one of the few names I remember/still see around from my very first early days here (/Warders circa '98/'99 ) :) . *Insertoldschoolyearninghere*

That's WAY back when... yes.  98/99 I didn't lead the warders was second in command and running the warders website.... DAMN that was a long time ago.

I'm still debating.... I'm thinking on a bio but we'll see

21 hours ago, Matalina said:

That's WAY back when... yes.  98/99 I didn't lead the warders was second in command and running the warders website.... DAMN that was a long time ago.

I'm still debating.... I'm thinking on a bio but we'll see

It was!! 

I suddenly feel all those years, lol.

Was it Alin who ran Warders then?

I haven't RP'd or focused much on BT characters before now, but with the Alliance here I think they'd prove valuable in the RP ideas coming together to move the main storyline forward (saving Ruon/Tuon, defeating Seanchan). Let us know when you decide!

2 hours ago, dicetosser1 said:

dice just sighs. looks like theres no getting out of it now....

but someones gonna have to walk me thru this

Eeeeeee!!!!!

*Takes one arm*

I'll walk with you! Will send you a PM !!

God No... in 98/99 Alin wasn't even around and if he was he was just a trainee.  One of my first!

98/99 Ben T Gaidin ran the Warders.

Then I took over.

Alin didn't take over until the split happened. 2000 ish cause 

I agree!  I have some very fond memories of the warders and DM from those times.  But I'm trying my best to stay away from where I'll feel obligated to help and only here to write!

I'm slowly working my bio... for a full Asha'man that's alot more work than just a little newb lol.  And I have to stay true to the character so hopefully I'll get it all worked out soon and have a submission in eventually

5 hours ago, Matalina said:

God No... in 98/99 Alin wasn't even around and if he was he was just a trainee.  One of my first!

98/99 Ben T Gaidin ran the Warders.

Then I took over.

Alin didn't take over until the split happened. 2000 ish cause 

I remember Ben T... pretty sure he was my Warder's instructor for the 2 classes I'd needed to get out of trainee status.

Crap.... I'll be right back, getting us all walkers and canes. We apparently need them *laughs*

16 hours ago, Matalina said:

I'm trying my best to stay away from where I'll feel obligated to help and only here to write!

How about if I promise to gag you, handcuff you and lock you in my dungeon if I see you so much as hint at helping anyone do anything? :laugh:

• Taymist pinned and pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

I plan on submitting a Black Tower bio shortly. My only thing is, he's gonna be Sea Folk, and I don't quite see him leaving his ship unless he's a wilder... would that be allowed? (I do have a block in mind, if so).

Otherwise, I'd need an Asha'man to find him, and maybe test him in a round about way. :|

Edited by Jagen Sedai

Sorry, Jagen. Sea Folk aren't accepted by the BT. Probably because they're such a small community in comparison to others and are likely to have a specific method for culling any male channelers they find/identify... drowning maybe? It's never spelled out in the Books but seems plausible. Along the lines of the Aiel sending men to fight trollocs in the Blight until they die. Added to that there's the fact that they were trying to avoid drawing the notice of the White Tower which means they'd definitely be wanting to deal with any such aberrations.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey you! :laugh: Welcome back. Don't talk to me about snow, it's meant to be spring. Can't believe we still have white stuff falling from the skies.

We're pretty quiet around here in terms of Wolfies. I haven't really known what to do with Rhya since Eth left. Cass is in charge of The Alliance section which includes the WK RP Group. Unless she wants something specific, I can't think that you need to do anything other than start to RP. Nothing's happened or changed since you were last here that would impact your bio or the general WK situation. I'll make sure you're in the usergroup.

Hi Andular! *Dodges snowballs*

I'd be happy to have you jump back in with John and encourage the others to get into things again too!

Whatever you'd like to do is fine, maybe after assignments are done I'll join you all! :D

Cass