DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Cross

Brown Ajah January Discussion: Dwelling in Fiction

music totally does that, reading not a ton. of course the vast majority of my time at that age was spent in my own head, making my own stories. reading had no real appeal. 

i did enjoy the required reading in high school though. i'm still trying to collect all the books i read then. just never took to it outside of school. different priorities i suppose. 

i've yet to hit a book that snaps me back to a specific time like music does though. 

I think you might have missed the window of opportunity on it. I can't work up the kind of brand new intensity of emotion for things as an adult as I could then. I used to only sleep every other night from grade three through eight and read the other nights away. I still remember my first walk through middle earth. It completely immersed me. It might have been when I started seriously rereading stuff just to inhabit the worlds again. I would devour books, completely consume them and let them consume me. I love it when I find that in myself now. 

I did live  in my own make believe a lot as well but it was nowhere near as good as the worlds founded on books.

Edited by Mrs. Cindy Gill
Words

19 hours ago, Mrs. Cindy Gill said:

I think you might have missed the window of opportunity on it. I can't work up the kind of brand new intensity of emotion for things as an adult as I could then. I used to only sleep every other night from grade three through eight and read the other nights away. I still remember my first walk through middle earth. It completely immersed me. It might have been when I started seriously rereading stuff just to inhabit the worlds again. I would devour books, completely consume them and let them consume me. I love it when I find that in myself now. 

I did live  in my own make believe a lot as well but it was nowhere near as good as the worlds founded on books.

you know, I don't books reminding of specific times as much now as an adult but it still happens!

Cross, do you relate more closely to your own stories than works of others?

it can still happen. it just needs to arrest the imagination. 

ummm good question blank. depends on what you mean by relate to? identify with? think on more? 

I almost always get invested in whatever I read.  I'm one of those people who, if I watch a soap opera I get invested.  I hate it.  But there is a big difference when i get invested in a "cheap" story and a very well written one.  Like War and Peace or A Tale of Two Cities, I get sucked in completely.  When the the story structure, characters, everything is written well and truly comes together, it's something else amazing.

It took me a while but I did and do really get into tale of two cities when I reread it. I think it also falls into the category of things I want to fix, people I want to help.

you sound like my sister oscar. once she starts watching something or reading it she has to finish. not so much soap's but still 

you guys think theres a certain kind of magic that's involved when a good story is woven together?

If a story is well-written and engaging, then it is so easily to loose oneself in it.

When I was a kid, I would often go into my own world when I was on the bus, or preparing for something. I've always been a fan of fantasy, so instead of riding on the bus, I was a merchant guard, having to keep an eye out for attackers, if I was preparing for a test, I was a squire preparing to be knighted. My life seemed so mundane to the stories, and so I often would try to "make believe" my life was more spectacular.

I am very aware of reality, but I can still find myself, at least briefly, placing myself within the world in which a story is taking place. Right now I am about finished with Book Six. I do not see myself as any particular character, but I could see myself setting out to become Aes Sedai, (I am so happy to be on DM.)

Currently I am trying to work on a story. It's a challenge for me since I have dealt with so much chaos and emotional issues over the last year. Slowly, the world is forming. I have managed to write a few paragraphs. The world I am writing about is gradually taking shape and I hope it becomes something much larger, and perhaps others can loose themselves in it someday.

14 hours ago, Dar'Jen Ab Owain said:

If a story is well-written and engaging, then it is so easily to loose oneself in it.

When I was a kid, I would often go into my own world when I was on the bus, or preparing for something. I've always been a fan of fantasy, so instead of riding on the bus, I was a merchant guard, having to keep an eye out for attackers, if I was preparing for a test, I was a squire preparing to be knighted. My life seemed so mundane to the stories, and so I often would try to "make believe" my life was more spectacular.

I am very aware of reality, but I can still find myself, at least briefly, placing myself within the world in which a story is taking place. Right now I am about finished with Book Six. I do not see myself as any particular character, but I could see myself setting out to become Aes Sedai, (I am so happy to be on DM.)

Currently I am trying to work on a story. It's a challenge for me since I have dealt with so much chaos and emotional issues over the last year. Slowly, the world is forming. I have managed to write a few paragraphs. The world I am writing about is gradually taking shape and I hope it becomes something much larger, and perhaps others can loose themselves in it someday.

I do / did exactly the same, DJ!

Hopefully I'll follow suit with the writing too :)

Really looking forward to reading your stuff.

I have a week left to get in on this...

Clearly I've emersed myself in the world of WoT, probably more than any other. I started reading in highschool (mid 90s) and spent about 5 years developing (first building, then coding) WoT based on-line role playing games (MUDs, as they were known). That was full immersion, when I was "building" i wrote descriptions of buildings in cities and towns, hotels along roads, fields of grass, and the like, and developed in-word NPCs (non-player characters...arg, we had another name for them, and it wasn't bots...whatever, I forget). When I started coding I re-wrote the combat system (CircleMUD based (D&D2core)) into a WoT based one with channeling, weapon mastery, area effects, and the like. The original WoT companion had just come out so we had a good deal of info to go on, but things like the age-to-character-strength master charts hadn't come out yet (those would have been amazing).

That's just the WoT.

In general, and this is true really of anything I read - I read to escape reality. I freely admit it. It's probably why I so easily dipped into other reality altering activities in my younger years (books are ... better? different? lets not get into that here...).

Other worlds I've loved are the Ender's Game world (spefically the later stuff on Lusitania), though I frequently imagined myself in battle school instead of high school.  I've always loved the Tolkien worlds.

I only recently read PERN (strange as that may sound; I bought a kindle a few years ago and thought to myself 'what's a "fanatasy trash" world from my childhood i wish i had read?' PERN!). Reading that as an adult - when it's apparently a YA story is ... interesting ... firstly it's a pretty ... advanced ... YA story, but I liked it.

ya know you kind of touched on it but this isnt exclusive to just books. 

what worlds outside of books have you guys lost yourselves in? tv shows? movies? video games?

On 12/01/2018 at 7:08 PM, Cross said:

so basically worlds in which there's space left for you to ask questions, to wonder? 

yes, exactly

On 14/01/2018 at 3:09 AM, Cross said:

anything else take you out of the reading experience? what kinds of things

for me it is usually unclear descriptions of who is speaking or who is present. I can't  get into it if I'm not even sure who is there. 

On 28/01/2018 at 2:28 AM, Cross said:

what worlds outside of books have you guys lost yourselves in? tv shows? movies? video games?

to be honest I don't think there is any I've felt as immersed in as books. Sure there are movies I love and tv shows that I watch as soon as I can, but not really like books.

I'm not sure why. Maybe they don't have that 'incomplete' feeling that gets my imagination going. Or maybe there is so many more people talking about it that I don't really feel there is room for my own thoughts to sprout and grow?

hmmmm.... maybe there is one show. it's a kids show really so maybe isn't as..... rounded? as others?

but still doesn't compare.

20 hours ago, Elaevia said:

yes, exactly

for me it is usually unclear descriptions of who is speaking or who is present. I can't  get into it if I'm not even sure who is there. 

This is so true! I hate having to page back and reread to try and figure out something as basic as who's saying or doing what. The same goes for change of PoV.

Years ago I read nothing but non-fiction. I would have told you I hated any fiction but historical fiction. I joined a book club and most of the books dwelt on serious topics when one member suggested EotW. I just tumbled in there and now love fiction. I find myself reading futuristic things.

I don't get immersed into anything like I do with books.  Video games I see as a challenge and tend to minmax and master whatever skill might be involved.  Movies and TV shows I merely look to for entertainment and leave it at that.  I think the only exception is Star Wars but honestly my deep immersion in it didn't happen until I started to read the books and comics.  I suppose the only other way I ever immerse is with role playing table top games.  Although with I can go both ways, minmax or immersive RP.

I get very immersed in books, if it is something I like.