Sign in to follow this  
Mashiara Sedai

DM News:Rafe Judkins May Be Starting Wheel of Time Script

Rafe Judkins, the writer and showrunner for a potential Wheel of Time television series sent out a tweet earlier this week showing off his worn copies of the first three novels.  Many have speculated that this means Judkins is starting to work on a script for the show.

rafejudkins.jpg

Adam Whitehead  sums up the current rights and details of the show on his website, stating :

Although Sony have committed to producing the Wheel of Time TV show, they have not yet found a network production partner. According to strong rumours, they were close to a deal with Amazon TV which was then relegated by Amazon's decision to develop a Lord of the Rings prequel project instead. Although it's not impossible that Amazon would develop a second very expensive epic fantasy series (they can afford it), it would seem to make the project less likely.

Other possible partners mostly seem to be sewn up with their own fantasy projects: Netflix with The Witcher, Showtime with The Kingkiller Chronicle prequel series, Starz with American Gods (and Outlander), SyFy with The Magicians and Paramount with Shannara. That leaves some possibilities, such as CBS All Access (who need more content beyond Star Trek: Discovery, stat), AMC (although they are unlikely to be able to afford it) or FX.

FX is an interesting possibility, both for their own productions (including the high-budget, well-regarded Fargo), the fact they aired the "Winter Dragon" pilot/advert thing from three years ago and they are now owned by Disney, who may be interested in a big epic fantasy project, either for FX, Hulu or their new, adult-oriented streaming channel they are currently developing (which will have both a Star Wars live-action show and a Marvel Cinematic Universe series for its launch in 2019 or 2020).

We are all very anxious to see the show find a home, and having a fan at the helm definitely gives me hope!  If you want to keep up to date with all the latest information, you can follow Judkins on Twitter.

View full news item

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Because the aiel are standing around in loose formation with weapons that are poor at countering cavalry. 
    • Thanks everyone! And welcome Lessa--I'll consider it.
    • It should also be noted that unlike the investments by the Soviet Union in the Third World the Chinese have not particularly engaged or seen a need to supply military arms to friendly governments or entered into military alliances. The Chinese involvement is almost exclusively economic. It should also be noted that while the Chinese have in fact invested billions in the Third World much of their investments are at best problematic. They have essentially have had to write off 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 billion of investments in Cuba. Their deal with Venezuela for Oil is at best economicly doubtful.   Since 2008 China has also invested between 5 and 10 billion dollars in the Nickel, tin and copper industries of the Andes countries. At this time has actual production not gone up  but capacity has also remained rather stagnant. And let's not even mention the investment black hole that is Brazil, where the only thing that disappears quicker then international investments is accountable politicians.   Now I hope (for the sake of the people in Latin America) that the current wave of Chinese investments actually raise economic production and living standards but from the prior experiences of the British, French, Germans, Americans and Canadians I think that Chinese investments are even less likely to work out either for the Chinese investors or the people of the of the effected Latin American countries. I say this because nothing that the Chinese are doing or the other nations have done has changed the fundamental business culture in those countries. It's not so much that the economies in those countries work on crony capitalism but that their economic system actually resembles more a crony type of fuedalism with a dash of fascism thrown in. Until that fact changes the likelihood that conditions in those countries will substantially improve is in my opinion doubtful at best.
    • Actually the amounts they have spent have all been on a reciprical bases. They are getting deals on natural resources in return for their investments. Also your historical knowledge of the amounts invested in the Third World by the West is faulty at best. The amount of loans to the Third World and other investments by The World Bank and private lenders that have had to be written off simply dwarfs the investments that the Chinese have and are making. I also see nothing terribly wrong with such investments. The Third World is getting capital which it is for once using to actually grow their economic production and the Chinese are getting raw resources.