DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

California Burning

Ryrin

I'm not near the fires but there is a significant wind and we are advised to stay in our homes due to the smoke/bad air quality. A friend of a friend lost her home.

4Q24Qog.jpg?1

tV5M7mb.jpg?1

5kkL906.jpg?1

o1vWPBL.jpg?1

We lost a Jewish summer camp that has been around for 70 years.

r7u9cjc.png?1

VxSr5y0.png?1

Edited by Ryrin

Wildfire season has been so crazy this year. Stay safe!

I'm from Portland, OR and my family still lives there. They had a wildfire that was blowing straight towards the city, people on the outskirts started getting evacuated. Luckily the wind changed directions. Hopefully the wind and weather will assist with calming things down soon.

yeah i have one friend that had to evac and doesnt know if she still has a home, another that is under evac advisory and is trying to find places to safely store her things just in case. 

we had the smoke and ash from the Anaheim hills fire on monday but thankfully not since. that one they hope to have put out by the weekend. up north though, its just insane

That is my home town. My best fried has been evacuated and has no idea what has happened to her home yet. My cousin in Sonoma lost her home already. I have two other friends that lost their homes. My Sister-in-law is still without power and may need to be evacuated soon. Mu husband's childhood home and all the surrounding vineyards are gone. So far my childhood home is still ok. I feel helpless as everyone I love most in the world is there and I can't do anything!

That is my home town. My best fried has been evacuated and has no idea what has happened to her home yet. My cousin in Sonoma lost her home already. I have two other friends that lost their homes. My Sister-in-law is still without power and may need to be evacuated soon. Mu husband's childhood home and all the surrounding vineyards are gone. So far my childhood home is still ok. I feel helpless as everyone I love most in the world is there and I can't do anything!

We just lost power for a bit. Sky is very hazy. I feel so badly for the people in the immediate area. 

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/13/us/california-fires-updates/index.html

Human ashes and bones have been found.

"We're not even close to being out of this emergency," Mark Ghilarducci, the director of California's Office of Emergency Services, said Thursday afternoon.
The biggest fires in Northern California were far from contained.
The 43,000-plus acre Atlas fire in Napa and Solano counties was 7% contained, and the 34,000-acre Tubbs fire in Napa and Sonoma counties was 10% under control. The 34,000-acre Redwood and Potter fires in Mendocino County were 10% contained.

It sounds like it is going to get worse this weekend with high winds expected to roll back in. 

Yes. My sister lives right near Reno and they are getting our smoke. I am very close to Bakersfield. I am from Sacramento and my friends are getting hit hard with the smoke and ash.

636434337701711556-101217-CA-fires-onlin

Edited by Ryrin

where abouts near bakersfield? i have family in visalia, they havent mentioned anything but been wondering if any effects traveled that far.

I live in Visalia. There has been haze. I'm an asthmatic so it hits me harder than most. You can see it.

Climate change exists and has for millennia.   It's not man-made. Man didn't usher out the ice age, after all. 

Granted, we need to do what we can to not make things worse via pollution but I don't buy into all the hype by climate scientists who get research dollars to say it's ALL man-made.

We must be responsible stewards but let's not fall into the Chicken Little trap, either.

I haven't been able to follow the news much lately. How many fires are still burning?