The Way of Kings

Leyrann

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm actually rereading Stormlight Archive right now, currently like 35% through Oathbringer. After that, my intention is to reread all of Mistborn, as the last book in the Second Era comes out sometime early (?) next year and it's also been pretty long ago since I read it, and I've become much, much, much more Cosmere-aware since.

After that I'll probably move on to Brandon's non-Cosmere works.

Also, move Discworld to the top of your reading list. Brandon Sanderson is really the only author you should allow above Terry Pratchett.

I have heard so many good things about Pratchett and have read some excerpts. Definitely will try to get that up higher. Don't have any if his books at this point though which is the problem. Have a lot of other books I've been collecting over the years but never got around to reading.

I always meticulously scan through the book sections of thrift stores. There's a chain bargain book store a couple of hours away (which is where I got the majority of my hardcover WoT books for like $80 total) so I might try to make it down there and check.

Anyone have recommendations on which Discworld novels to prioritize? I know there are a tooon of them, and I don't believe they have to be read in order IIRC.

I've heard a lot about Hogfather and Guards so those two I'd definitely like to read, but don't know a whole lot about the individual books otherwise.

I feel like that should almost be a different thread, but at the same time this thread has shifted topics a lot already so I figure it's fine lol.

14 hours ago, Talmanes said:

Anyone have recommendations on which Discworld novels to prioritize? I know there are a tooon of them, and I don't believe they have to be read in order IIRC.

I've heard a lot about Hogfather and Guards so those two I'd definitely like to read, but don't know a whole lot about the individual books otherwise.

I feel like that should almost be a different thread, but at the same time this thread has shifted topics a lot already so I figure it's fine lol.

In my opinion, it's best to just read them in chronological order, but the first few books are a bit worse than the others as Pratchett was still figuring out the world in those. You can read them in another order, but you need to make sure that you do read the books that are part of a subseries (the Watch books, the books about Death, etc) in order, as that just makes much more sense.

Guards! Guards! (the first book on the Watch) is a good one to start if you don't want to start with the first one, and so is The Truth, which is mostly a seperate storyline, but does feature some Watch characters. I'd say Hogfather isn't a good one to start with, as there's several books before that about the same characters. You can read it, but you'll miss stuff.

Edited by Leyrann

I don't think the order matters much at all. There are some bunches I like more than others, personally. The witches, death, etc are a,omg my favorites, the guards a,omg my least favorites, so I read more of the ones I prefer. There is some chronological development in the series' but it's usually summarized well enough in each book that it doesn't matter to the read.

id say try one from each group, find what you like, branch out from there.

That makes sense! I've done that where I will buy just random books in the Fantasy genre at thrift stores (who can pass up 25 cents a piece) or garage sales and see if I like them. I've found some really good ones by just randomly buying it because either it's TOR or the guy who did the WoT covers, or just generally looks like a Fantasy book (don't always have the time to look extensively at thrift stores so I have a system lol).

The problem is I still haven't read most of the books I have, because my to read list is usually so long, and I prioritize BS or other books in series I like. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2018 at 8:56 PM, Talmanes said:

That makes sense! I've done that where I will buy just random books in the Fantasy genre at thrift stores (who can pass up 25 cents a piece) or garage sales and see if I like them. I've found some really good ones by just randomly buying it because either it's TOR or the guy who did the WoT covers, or just generally looks like a Fantasy book (don't always have the time to look extensively at thrift stores so I have a system lol).

The problem is I still haven't read most of the books I have, because my to read list is usually so long, and I prioritize BS or other books in series I like. 

My MO: Get recommendations for new series to start, look around, buy series on Kindle -> reread Mistborn again -> wonder why I went through step 1 in the first place

On 11-5-2018 at 12:09 PM, Ironeyes said:

My MO: Get recommendations for new series to start, look around, buy series on Kindle -> reread Mistborn again -> wonder why I went through step 1 in the first place

Doesn't really happen here...

Then again, I get my recommendations from having "Brandon Sanderson" on the cover.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2018 at 12:57 AM, Leyrann said:

Doesn't really happen here...

Then again, I get my recommendations from having "Brandon Sanderson" on the cover.

That's how I respond to anyone asking me for recommendations. Just tell them to look for all things Sanderson 

On 5/14/2018 at 2:51 AM, Basel Gill said:

Is this an SFF novel? I looked on Amazon and just found a bunch of nonfiction. 

It was fully non-fiction but kinda interesting. At least fulfills my goal of reading non fiction.

I personally recommend Small Gods by Terry Pratchett if someone just wants to get a flavour of Discworld without worrying about timelines and characters and stuff. But I would second reading in chronological order if reading the whole series. Its just easier to read it that way and might be a good way to realize why Watch books are great. This reminds me I should read the rest of the books starting from Wee Fee Men

• 3 weeks later...

I just finished Path of Daggers, so getting close to the end of WoT.

Did buy several Discworld novels when I went totally the discount book store (they didn't have many, so I bought a couple at B&N too) so I should be set once I finish my WoT reread.

Lol, yeah I'm not looking forward to the slowdown, but thankfully I read pretty fast

One thing I didn't recall being so slow was Rand taking over Illian. For a couple of books he kept talking and talking about it, moving soldiers, all to just Travel down there anyway. Such a long buildup, and not a great climax.

At least I'll get Mat POVs in Winter's Heart. I miss him and the Band.

46 minutes ago, Talmanes said:

So I'm remembering why Winter's Heart is one of my least favorites...over 200 pages in and have only heard from Perrin/Faile and Elayne for the most part. 

Plus this is the first one with a really excessively long prologue.

It's also the one where the Cleansing happens though.

Yeah that's what keeps me going, the is a fantastic scene! 

I k ow I'm well into the slowdown, but I guess I was thinking I'd have some Mat POV. I know a lot of his stuff is in Knife of Dreams though.

I do like Perrin's hammer scene, that's a good one too.

Obviously I love the series overall, just noticed I've slowed down in my reading once I got to WH lol.