• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Illian Tear said:

Yes and after that I will start Mistborn or finish the Death Gate cycle 

I finished Oathbringer (for the second time, because I didn't re-read the first two books before it came out and I decided i wanted to start from the beginning because I am insane)... then i started back re-reading Mistborn, because I hadn't read The Bands of Mourning yet, or Arcanum Unbounded, and I was feeling hazy on a lot of details of the series.

I'm about 2/3 of the way through The Bands of Mourning now.  This has been quite a Sanderson Binge.

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm late to this but BS is my new favorite author at this point, I read pretty much everything he writes.

I reread the first two before Oathbringer and did them each in a couple of days, kind of felt like I was gonna die. Spent the entire day reading Oathbringer on the day before Thanksgiving and it was amazing. It definitely helps to read Mistborn first trilogy and Secret History to have more idea what's going on for the big picture stuff.

It definitely seems like SA where be where all the books come together. We've already seen several other book characters make appearances and it seems like that will continue. 

I hate having to wait so long for the next SA book, but can't help but read them as soon as they come out.

I've lurked over on the 17th shard but never posted, there's so much in the cosmere to keep straight but even without looking into everything, SA is still fantastic. The end of Oathbringer and all the things you find out about Voidbringers was amazing, reminded me of the impact when the Airline found out about the Way of the Leaf in WoT.

Anyway I'm rambling.

5 hours ago, Talmanes said:

It definitely seems like SA where be where all the books come together. We've already seen several other book characters make appearances and it seems like that will continue. 

(Mistborn and Oathbringer related)

I was excited to see Sazed make a few appearances at the start of some of the Oathbringer chapters.

So I'm almost through a memory of light. I was a little hesitant starting the last 3 books in the WOT, mostly because I've never read any Sanderson before.  I was afraid he would be a terrible  writer. I.e. read the Dune series, excellent, except for the ones not written by Frank Herbert. His son really can't write. Are other works by Sanderson good? Is there one series better than others that any would recommend? Thanks!

So far, Stormlight Archive looks to be his best, but I would start with Mistborn because it's less ambitious, and if you like it and move on to Stormlight (which isn't finished yet by a long ways), you will recognize some references to the "gods" of the Mistborn world and perhaps even spot one of the characters in a couple of chapter introduction paragraphs.

I thought that Sanderson did some things really well in WoT, like picking up the pace, writing some intense actions scenes (I loved the part in ToM where he bounced between Perrin, Egwene, and Gawyn as they each fought desperate battles against formidable opponents), and making Faile more tolerable while taking Perrin to what I felt were new character heights. I think he did some other things poorly, like writing Mat as if he were still the scamp in book one, ignoring all of the character development he had undergone, and making Cadsuane a two-dimensional strawman to be toppled repeatedly. His misinterpretation of Cadsuane in particular bothers me, because at least at one point in the story, Mat did act more or less the way Sanderson portrays him, but I am tempted to offer him a doll at his next signing and seeing if he can point to precisely where it was on the doll that Cadsuane so grievously wounded him.

His own writings are fine. The early works, like Warbringer and Elantris are crude, particularly in dialogue, but at this point in his career, he is a mighty fine author, and his newer books are great. If he were to write the final three WoT books now, he would do a far better job, but I think that overall, he did alright. It is much better than just getting a synopsis would have been, even though he really upset me at several points.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6-2-2018 at 2:59 AM, failemandarb said:

So I'm almost through a memory of light. I was a little hesitant starting the last 3 books in the WOT, mostly because I've never read any Sanderson before.  I was afraid he would be a terrible  writer. I.e. read the Dune series, excellent, except for the ones not written by Frank Herbert. His son really can't write. Are other works by Sanderson good? Is there one series better than others that any would recommend? Thanks!

His own works, in my opinion, are much better than his Wheel of Time books (even though the last three WoT books are still my favorite!) because he gets to write in his own world, with the characters he designed.

You're probably best off starting with Mistborn, or maybe Elantris. Stormlight Archive is his best work, but has a very high bar of entry (first five chapters have 5 different point of view characters, the whole world has a different ecology and climate from earth, etc) so may not be the best starting point. Start on Stormlight Archive when you think "I want to read more of this guy!", but once you think that do it as soon as possible to not miss out on greatness.

Ooh boy so many books to choose from, I think it will be stormlight archives than! Any one know what is the difference between "the world of Robert Jordan's wheel of Time" compared to the companion? From what I understand one book has some artwork and the other seems to be a dictionary? (Only going by reviews). I guess what I'm really wondering is, is there a difference as far as content? Is it worth getting both? Do you need to have both? Or is one a more complete version? 

12 hours ago, Talmanes said:

I'm still rereading WoT, just getting into TDR. 

Though I don't think BS has anything coming out for a while, but hopefully something by the time I'm done lol

He's got Legion and Skyward that are finished but don't have a release date yet (and they're still going through stuff like beta reading), and currently he's working on a secret project, which will be followed by a Skyward sequel. After that (autumn) he's going to write The Lost Metal, the last book in the Wax and Wayne (Mistborn Era 2) series. So there won't be any Cosmere-related stuff until 2019. And I may have a problem, as I knew that by heart.

Also, I'm rereading Words of Radiance right now.

7 hours ago, failemandarb said:

Ooh boy so many books to choose from, I think it will be stormlight archives than! Any one know what is the difference between "the world of Robert Jordan's wheel of Time" compared to the companion? From what I understand one book has some artwork and the other seems to be a dictionary? (Only going by reviews). I guess what I'm really wondering is, is there a difference as far as content? Is it worth getting both? Do you need to have both? Or is one a more complete version? 

I'm afraid I can't help you with that, I don't know the companion.

On 2/26/2018 at 8:39 PM, failemandarb said:

So the companion is an encyclopedia that has entries on pretty much everything and everyone.

The Wheel of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time (BWB aka Big White Book) has a lot of info that was previously nowhere else but a lot probably is in the encyclopedia. This one is not actually entirely accurate, as it is supposed to be if someone from the WoT world wrote it and they didn't know everything necessarily and so there are some 'guesses'. RJ intentionally wouldn't answer all of the authors questions.

That said, I have both, have read the BWB cover to cover, and mostly use the encyclopedia for reference or to read up on things I have a particular interest. I haven't compared the two, but I'd say the BWB is interesting even for a more casual reader, whereas the Companion is more so for hardcore fans. 

The Companion does include power levels of all Aes Sedai, dictionary of Old Tongue, and a ton of info. BWB digs a bit deeper into it's topics and does have a lot of cool art and maps.