DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Your favorite scene(s) in WoT (spoilers)

Mat's Dinner

Hi all,

I just finished reading the Wheel of Time for the first time. I started in 1992, got through the first 11 books as they came out, but then decided I needed to start over before reading the final three. I didn't get a chance to do that until this year. My wife got pregnant and I decided it was now or never! I finished AMoL a few weeks after my daughter was born. Pretty special. Really happy with how the series turned out in the end and how well BS did in completing it (I understand there are different opinions but to each their own).

I'm new to the site. I figured there was a thriving online community surrounding the series but had deliberately avoided it to avoid spoilers. Now I'm down the rabbit hole reading fan theories and picking up some things I've missed. Lots of fun.

Anyway I did a quick search and didn't immediately see this topic, so figured I'd start it. What is your favorite single scene in the series? And if you can't narrow it down to just one, what are some of your favorites?

For me it's Rand's revelation on Dragonmount in TGS (including the events that immediately preceded it; his confrontation with Tam and then going to Ebou Dar and seeing how happy everyone was). I loved how it was built up for so long over the previous books as he got more and more withdrawn; it felt like a huge release just as the pressure got too unbearable. It also happened early enough that we had the next two books to enjoy zen Rand.

1a might be the battle in the sky at Falme. That absolutely enthralled me when I read it the first time at age 12, and I felt the same emotions again this time around. So epic.

There are obviously a lot of others but just wanted to see if there are a few scenes that a lot of people really enjoyed.

"on a day of fire and blood,a tattered banner waved above dumai's wells,

bearing the ancient symbol of aes sedai,

on a day of fire and blood and the one power,

as prophecy had suggested,the unstained tower,broken, bent knee to the forgotten sign,

the first nine aes sedai swore fealty to the dragon reborn

and the world was changed forever."

dumai's wells,is hands down the best scene in the entire wheel of time cannon.

Edited by jack of shadows

I don´t know if I can choose but here are some that comes to mind right now.

"Kneel before the Lord Dragon, or you will be knelt." (Taim at Dumai´s Wells) Very powerful. I liked Dumai´s Wells over all, with everything happening at the same time. And it´s the start of Rand going mad and dark. 

"Suddenly, Olver felt a deep warmth. He had lost so many people, but one of them ... one ... had come back for him." (Olver getting rescued by Noal) Makes me cry every time I read it.

Rand on Dragonmount.

Nynaeve letting go when she is about to die on the boat. 

Like others, there are many. Here are some of my favorites:

ToM when Rand shows up at Maradon and saves the day... seeing this through Min's eyes and hearing the other Ashaman there being in awe of his power and number of weaves he's handling.

The "I have won again, Lews Therin" sequence in TGS stands out too.

Perrin rescuing the TR captives from the White Cloaks in TSR

Mat riding into the battle of Cairhien.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

nynaeve tugs on her braid is your favotite scene?that's about half of the wheel of time series lol.

That must be why I love the series so much!  :wink:

Holy shit, there's a Berelain emoji!  :berelain:  :berelain:  :berelain: That's now my new favourite part of this forum! Love me some Berelain.

Seriously though - there's so many scenes in the books. It's hard to even begin considering what's my favourite. If I have to pick one, it's gotta be the lead up to and battle of Dumai's Wells. I wish I could be more original, but everyone so many people love those passages for a reason.

Dumai's Wells is the one that immediately came to my mind. The power of Rand and Taim making the Aes Sedai swear fealty at the end was just amazing. The Asha'man becoming a thing was great.

Honorable mentions though...

- The scene where Rand blows up Graendal's palace.

- The Chapter " The Far Shows in Fires of Heaven where Aviendha finally surrenders to her love for Rand after rediscovering travelling.

- The scene where Semirhage chokes Min and finally causes Rand to crack.

- Both the testing chapters for Nynaeve and Egwend to be raised to Accepted.

- The rescue of Moiraine in the tower and then her proposal to Thom.

Edited by Clipsahoy

It’s dumai’s well and the events leading up to it for me. I probably read that chapter 3 times in a row.

Second would probably be when Perrin and Slayer were fighting in tel'aran'rhiod. Perrin was pretty bad ass once he got a good grasp of the place. Even going as far as dismissing balefire as ‘just a weave’.

You are correct, i had forgotten about the exact means under which Min was choked, but that makes the scene even more powerful. I believe that's also when he told Cadsuane he would obliterate her if he saw her again, which just makes it more of an awesome scene.

• 2 months later...

Just one single favourite scene? No way! :)

Mat turning up at the Stone, Mat with Snakes and Foxes, Rand in the pillars, Perrin forging his hammer, and those scenes in the border tower: "we hold until we are relieved". I have them all bookmarked for quick reference :)