DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

NFL Discussion

RandA lThor

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was reading that the #4 pick would be worth (using the draft value chart thingy) exactly the #12 and #22 picks that the Buffalo Bills currently possess. those could be two valuable players.  Buffalo trades up to 4 to take one of the Big QBs? 

Free agent QBs going to new homes. do these moves make it less likely these teams prioritize QB in the 1st round?

Bridgewater to JETS

Cousins to VIKINGS

Keenum to BRONCOS

Bradford to CARDINALS

Brees resigns w/ SAINTS

Taylor to BROWNS

Who is now seriously in the market for a QB? 

Browns?? I don't think they should use either #1 or #4. maybe trade down and get L. Jackson? would be interesting.

Giants. Definitely need to think about it.

Bills. Yes. also heard rumour they looking to trade shady to NYG for #2.  I don't think that makes sense form NYG POV but who knows.

Cards? Yes. 

There are some maybes out there and of course if a team is CONVINCED that a particular guy is a certified "franchise QB" then they take them anyway. 

Current QBs

Seattle: R. Wilson

SF: J. Garrapolo??

LA:  J. Goff

ARI: S. Bradford

Detroit:  M. Stafford 

GB:  Rodgers

Chicago: Tribusky?

Minn: K. Cousins

Dallas: D. Prescott

Philly: C. Wentz (and N. Foles)

Wash: A. Smith

NYG: E. Manning

Carolina: C. Newton

Atl: M. Ryan

NO: D. Brees

TB: J. Winston?

LVR: D. Carr

LAC: P. Rivers

KC: P. Mahomes

Den: C. Keenum

Cle: T. Taylor

Cin: A. Dalton

Pit: B. Rothlisberger

Bal: J. Flacco

NYJ: McCown ( T. Bridgewater)

NE: T. Brady

Miami: Tannehill?

Buffalo: ???

Houston: D. Watson

Tenn: M. Marriota

Ind: A. Luck

Jax: B. Bortles

I would think it makes it less of a priority for teams like the Broncos who will now have 4 QBs on the roster after signing Keenum.

I’d think maybe the Jets are happy with Bridgewater as well for now since they resigned McCown for insurance.

I think the Bills aiming to trade up into the top 3-4 is definitely a thing. The Colts probably don’t want a QB and sliding back to get more picks in the first might be the better option. They’ve got a lot of spots to fill.

I still think Cleveland takes a QB to learn behind Taylor this year and then take over in 2019.

The interesting part comes from which teams with aging QBs maybe pull the trigger this year to grab their replacement guy? Namely the Pats, Cards (Bradford isn’t the long term solution), Chargers and Saints.

With several of the top 10 teams getting their QBs it makes me wonder what’ll be left at 19 when my Cowboys pick. I was hoping there’d be a spree of QBs coming off the board early and maybe some talented defenders would slide but that seems less likely now.

You never know. NFL people do stupid things on draft day. Especially when QBs are involved. I was kinda thinking that some of these QBs might drop a ways and then get picked by people not expected to take them just due to being value at the point. 

TBH I don't have a great handle on who the stud defensive players are in this draft. I've only been really hearing about Chubb and Fitzpatrick who are looking like top 5-10 picks. 

Joe Thomas retired yesterday. Do you think that puts pressure on Cleveland to rethink #4 and look at an OL. I haven't heard about any star LT in the draft so it might just not be an option. The guy from ND is a guard I think. 

Buffalo signed McCarron to a two year deal yesterday so that maybe puts QB as a ~lower priority or he’s play the bridge guy for the next one or two years similar to Taylor in Cleveland. If someone wants to trade up, the Bills have the capital.

Fitzpatrick and Chubb and the CB Ward from Ohio State are the consensus top defenders from everything I’ve heard or read. There’s a few other guys with high first round grades at LB, DT and S. All of those are needs for Dallas so I am keeping my fingers crossed someone falls.

Cleveland could take Nelson at #4 if the Giants don’t grab him first. He’s a beast and apparently could slide outside if really needed. I think Orlando Bloom from OU was the consensus top tackle going into the combine before he blew it, so now I don’t think there’s really any for sure franchise OT like most years. Cleveland has the #33 pick so they might wait to grab a guy in the second when the value is better.

I must be getting more British cause I just can't stop supporting these underdog Browns. They gonna become my AFC team.  Lions are my NFC team. 

they strengthened their QB, RB, and WR positions. I didn't know but they also had signed to tackles just before Thomas retired so that isn't as bad as it could be. I think they might actually be best seeing what they can get for the #1 pick (especially if they think they can get Barkley at #4) . The draft value thing says that #1 is worth 3000 points. if someone  (say Buffalo cause it works by the maths) wanted the number one overall it would add up to...

#12 - 1200

#22 -  780

# 53 - 370 

#56 -  340

#65 - 265

total: 2955

maybe they swap some lower picks to make it work or throw in a "future considerations" or a player of modest value to make it totally square. That makes a lot of potential in this draft to upgrade/reinforce a lot of positions. they would have 9 picks in the top 65. biggest problem might be too many too young players.  Browns round 1-3 draft board would look something like this:

#4: Barkley/Chubb?/ QB?/Nelson

#12: OT/ DB?

#22: Would Jackson still be there? I think he might. I think I like him better than most tho.

#33: Best Player Available

#35: BPA

#53: BPA

#56: BPA

#65: BPA

Bottom line is I think they are making a mistake if they are locking themselves into picking a QB at #1. Especially if they don't LOVE one of the big4 (Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield).

Note: I don't think that Buffalo makes that move unless they are totally sold on one of these guys. but the numbers add up cleaner for them than anyone else as it gives more picks in this draft as opposed to future picks. It is time for the Browns to get some players. not more future picks. 

just some random thoughts... 

Where do Suh and Mathieu land?

Will Kaep get a job this year?

Which rookie QB plays right away and who has the best year?

Rosen is the most NFL ready imo. It all depends on what teams they go to and what sort of supporting cast/coaching they get, etc etc but just arm talent and experience wise I think Rosen is the most prepared.

Suh will get a League minimum contract somewhere I’m sure. Kaep is finished. Eric Reid (as in Ed Reid’s lil bro) can’t even get a job after taking a knee with Kaep and he’s a way better football player.

Jets trade up to #3. Colts get the following:

This year picks

First round #3

Second round #37

Second round #49

2019 second round

This is a big win for colts. Three additional second round picks to move down 3 spots and possibly be able to pick same player. Jets will certainly pick the wrong QB. But Bridgewater will save them, LOL.

Bills willing to go to #1 or #2?

The Jets have got to be thinking franchise QB with that move but man, they’re giving up the farm to do it. Hope it works out lol

I figured the Colts would be the team to trade back. Maybe the Browns might sell their #4 to the Bills for their three (?) firsts.

On 3/16/2018 at 6:36 AM, Turin Turambar said:

I must be getting more British cause I just can't stop supporting these underdog Browns. They gonna become my AFC team.  Lions are my NFC team. 

So wait, you're gonna abandon the Raiders?

I guess if I had to pick an AFC team, it’d be the Chargers?

I've lived in San Diego since 2009 and while the team was still here, watching the games in a packed Charger bar was always a good time. I also have tremendous respect for Rivers.

23 hours ago, Andrej said:

You think the Bills are gonna trade up? I had a thought that perhaps the Jets pulled the trigger so soon to get a leg up on a division rival.

I keep waiting for them to make a big draft move; McCarron will make a good caretaker QB but isn't a long-term answer.  Overall, I'm finding their offseason approach a little baffling. They're coming off a season with their first playoff trip this century. Rather than building on that success, they've dumped a coordinator and the starting QB (after the best season of his career), and are working on dismantling the team that achieved all this.

8 hours ago, Basel Gill said:

I keep waiting for them to make a big draft move; McCarron will make a good caretaker QB but isn't a long-term answer.  Overall, I'm finding their offseason approach a little baffling. They're coming off a season with their first playoff trip this century. Rather than building on that success, they've dumped a coordinator and the starting QB (after the best season of his career), and are working on dismantling the team that achieved all this.

I thought maybe trading for those extra picks was to move up but perhaps they are just stock piling to draft kids McDermott wants in his system? 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Turin Turambar said:

Pats deal B. Cooks and a 4th rounder to Rams for first(#23) and 6th round picks.

Pats win this one I think. 

Yeah. They got their investment back from last year. Now they’ve got two late 1Rs - the perfect spot to grab some new starting OTs.

How bout them Rams tho

• 2 weeks later...

The team didn’t get better talent wise by cutting him, but maybe the locker room improved?

Dez has been on the decline for the last 3 seasons. Whether that’s him, Romo no longer being the QB, or a combo of both is yet to be seen. He’ll play for someone this year, that much is for sure.

I've been seeing a lot of media types speculating that Dez would be a perfect fit in Buffalo. All I can say is please no. He's declining as a player, and he's too much of a locker room cancer and a showboat. We went through this once before with Terrell Owens and I don't have any desire to repeat it.

Edited by Basel Gill

2 hours ago, Basel Gill said:

I've been seeing a lot of media types speculating that Dez would be a perfect fit in Buffalo. All I can say is please no. He's declining as a player, and he's too much of a locker room cancer and a showboat. We went through this once before with Terrell Owens and I don't have any desire to repeat it.

Funny enough, so did Dallas.

I’d think the Ravens could be a potential team. Dez and Crabtree as their new WRs would be a huge upgrade to anything they’ve had in a while.