DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Age of Legends Theory (Spoilers within, natch!)

Maedelin

Ok, so get this:

I've been thinking a lot about the Aiel and their purpose during the Age of Legends.  A group of people who have bound themselves and all (ostensibly) successive generations of their progeny to non-violence and service of the Aes Sedai.  In fact, when the Bore was made and the hole in the Dark One's prison were created, Rand's ancestor said specifically that they failed.  I had always found that odd; what had they failed to do?  How?  Beyond just keeping the Aes Sedai cautious, which you can tell people to be careful as much as you'd like, but I can't imagine that the Aes Sedai would always listen.

A few days ago, I finally read River of Souls. (My opinion on that can be saved for another day.) Within Bao (Demandred) describes how he was trained to assumed The Oneness.  Within this description, it was reported that Barid Bel Medar learned to get The Oneness being dragged on a sled in snow, and with a coal pressed to his skin.  Regardless of the quality of healing in that time, neither of these practices sound like the practices of an advanced society.  That revelation, combined with the Aiel, and the last few books that kept discussing how Lews Therin was so arrogant led me to an interesting conclusion.

So!  My theory is this: The Age of Legends wasn't as utopian as it is described.  It was actually a society built on overbearing pride, status-driven social climbers, and a callous regard of their society as a whole.  In fact, it mirrors a little what the Dark One had in mind for the world.  Remember what people did to Charn on the eve of the end of the War of Power?  All they feared was the Ogier coming after them.

Perhaps the Dark One was influencing society more subtly than anyone would have imagined, enticed Mierin Eronaile (Lanfear/Cyndane) and Beidomon to unwittingly drilled a hole into the prison of the Dark One.  Due to this dystopian society that had a utopian sheen to it, the Aiel were indeed the only people who held to a true path on the Light.

What do you all think of this?  I'd love to hear points and counter-points!

The aiel failed to keep to the way of the lead, and they failed to get all the objects of power to safety iirc?

During Rand's time in the ter'angreal at Rhuidean the Dai'shain Aiel were following the Way of the Leaf the entire time.  When the Collam Daan was destroyed as Mierin and Beidomon bore a hole into the Dark One's prison, his ancestor was on the street, and not in attendance of his Aes Sedai.  All he said in the moment was that [the Aiel] failed.  He didn't explain it any other way.  And considering another of his ancestors saying farewell to his Aes Sedai, it was written that she smoothed his hair like she would to a child.

Looking at all that information, it seems that the Dai'shain Aiel were considered the moral core for the Aes Sedai during the Age of Legends.  Almost like so'jihn, they were hereditary servants, but due to their following of the Way of the Leaf, the Aes Sedai 'protected' them from violence.  In return the Aiel served them.  And again, I think they were the voice of reason and morality for the Aes Sedai, who felt that they could do nearly anything they wanted as they were adept in using the power.  That leads to some strong arrogance, which perhaps was the need for the Aiel at that time.

Mrs. Cindy gill is right,some time after the breaking of the world,the da'shain aiel were ordered by the aes sedai to carry objects of power to safety,(rand's seventh flashback at rhuidean),during the incredibly long journey to the three fold land,the da'shain aiel disintegrated from one people into three,i.e.the tuatha'an who remained nonviolent but failed in their duty to the aes sedai,the aiel,who broke the nonviolence covenant and renounced the way of the leaf for the way of the spear,and the jenn aiel,who remained true to their covenant and duty but dwindled and died at rhuidean.

Edited by jack of shadows

So a few things... first though, this is a great thread topic.

1) One of the things that Rand discovered during his battle with the Dark One at the bore is that killing the Dark One would be just as bad as the Dark One winning in that people would be empty, robotic,and not quite have free will. So while the Age of Legends was very ideal from a perspective of conveniences, technology, health, weather, hunger, etc..., and very advanced in terms of OP use there were still problems. Human problems from ambition, jealousy, arrogance, failure, etc... still happened. Further evidence of this is the original purpose of the oath rods. They were used to "fix" certain behaviors.

2) The War of Power really started about 80-100 years after the bore. The effects of the Dark One's touch wasn't immediate. Remember that earliest passage of Rand's time in the ter'angreal. A man bumped into Rand's ancestor and was a jerk, but then immediately apologized once he became aware that he was Aeil. So, people were still people... there wasn't an avenue for pure evil like there was once the Dark One could touch the world.

3) I always interpreted the Aiel's failure as a few things. First their "mission" from the Aes Sedai was to take the ter'angreal and Avendesora somewhere once the breaking started. It's unclear if this was a specific location or not. Second would be that outside of the Jenn, that the Aeil stopped following the Way of the Leaf... but to me that's more of a cultural thing than "failing the Aes Seda". 

The aiel failed to keep to the way of the lead, and they failed to get all the objects of power to safety iirc?

During Rand's time in the ter'angreal at Rhuidean the Dai'shain Aiel were following the Way of the Leaf the entire time.  When the Collam Daan was destroyed as Mierin and Beidomon bore a hole into the Dark One's prison, his ancestor was on the street, and not in attendance of his Aes Sedai.  All he said in the moment was that [the Aiel] failed.  He didn't explain it any other way.  And considering another of his ancestors saying farewell to his Aes Sedai, it was written that she smoothed his hair like she would to a child.

Looking at all that information, it seems that the Dai'shain Aiel were considered the moral core for the Aes Sedai during the Age of Legends.  Almost like so'jihn, they were hereditary servants, but due to their following of the Way of the Leaf, the Aes Sedai 'protected' them from violence.  In return the Aiel served them.  And again, I think they were the voice of reason and morality for the Aes Sedai, who felt that they could do nearly anything they wanted as they were adept in using the power.  That leads to some strong arrogance, which perhaps was the need for the Aiel at that time.

I think that's an interesting train of thought, and there may be some truth to it... the author may have had some of it in somewhere mind? But it takes some leaps of logic through the text, and relies on facts not in direct evidence. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I just don't see it in the story.

I also don't think RJ had too much of an issue with arrogance as a character trait among the very powerful, except in the forsaken. Well, maybe the kings and queens and aes sedai got a bit heavy handed but for the most part that behavior and attitude seems to be excused by or at least inherent in their positions. And being arrogant I doubt the aiel's duty would be to keep them morally centered. Imo the failure is explained in the flashbacks in rhuidean for the most part

@dexterryu,

"it's unclear if this was a specific location or not".

I urge you to re-read rand's entire sequence of flashbacks at rhuidean,it is obvious that solinda sedai didn't have a specific location in mind"keep moving, always moving,until you find a place of safety where no one can harm you".

"But to me that's more of a cultural thing than failing the aes sedai".

The da'shain aiel's covenant i.e.serving aes sedai and following the way of the leaf was not a cultural thing,it was their raison d'etre,the covenant was everything "keep the covenant,jonai.if the da'shain aiel lose everything else,see they keep the way of the leaf.promise me.of course, aes sedai,he said shocked.the covenant was the aiel,and the aiel were the covenant".

I think that's an interesting train of thought, and there may be some truth to it... the author may have had some of it in somewhere mind? But it takes some leaps of logic through the text, and relies on facts not in direct evidence. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I just don't see it in the story.

I also don't think RJ had too much of an issue with arrogance as a character trait among the very powerful, except in the forsaken. Well, maybe the kings and queens and aes sedai got a bit heavy handed but for the most part that behavior and attitude seems to be excused by or at least inherent in their positions. And being arrogant I doubt the aiel's duty would be to keep them morally centered. Imo the failure is explained in the flashbacks in rhuidean for the most part

One thing that I've noted is that RJ seemed to be OK with arrogance as long as it came with a moral compass. One of the things with the Forsaken was that they were both arrogan, craved power, and would do anything to get it, whereas LTT was arrogant yet was a moral man (as evidenced by being with Ilyena vs Mierin).

One thing that I've noted is that RJ seemed to be OK with arrogance as long as it came with a moral compass. One of the things with the Forsaken was that they were both arrogan, craved power, and would do anything to get it, whereas LTT was arrogant yet was a moral man (as evidenced by being with Ilyena vs Mierin).

I agree that this is an unconventional theory, but I think that's partly why I got so excited and wanted to share it. :)  Looking at the motivations of the people of the Age of Legends, I found strange disparities in the societal roles of the Aes Sedai, the Aiel, and the general population.  If it was a peaceful society, then why was the Way of the Leaf/The Covenant of the Aiel so highly respected and emulated?  Is it because there is a darker core to this perfect society?  That's the thought process that led me down the path of speculation and its conclusion I had to share with everyone. :)

You are correct that they did not get all of the objects of power to safety, but that was after the War of Power, during the Breaking.  Solinda Sedai glossed over the need to keep the objects of power safe, and focusing instead on reminding Jonai that he must uphold the Covenant above all else.  Jonai agreed to do as such, though his focus was more on the objects of power and the chora cuttings.  I think, ultimately, the objects of power were just used to get the Aiel out of the cities and get them moving.  As Deindre Sedai Foretold at that time, Callandor was needed at a certain point.  I would think that Callandor would have been packed away with the rest of the objects of power that were given to the Aiel for safekeeping if it wasn't for that.  Diendre Sedai knew what would become of the Aiel, and if she shared all of it, Solinda Sedai did her best to try and protect the Aiel the only way she felt she could

I agree that RJ was alright with arrogance, provided it was rooted in good intentions.  But then again, the road to hell is paved with such.  And based on my random musings, if we take that the AoL society was arrogant, look at where it led them.  I do not think the Aiel's failure is well explained at all, which is another reason I went down this path of speculation.  The failure was first referenced when the Collam Daan was destroyed.  I never felt that it was adequately explained.

I'm not so sure LTT was all that moral, thinking of how he was exposed in flashbacks and in his mad maunderings within Rand's mind.  He seemed a grade-A jerk to me, overall.

So a few things... first though, this is a great thread topic.

1) One of the things that Rand discovered during his battle with the Dark One at the bore is that killing the Dark One would be just as bad as the Dark One winning in that people would be empty, robotic,and not quite have free will. So while the Age of Legends was very ideal from a perspective of conveniences, technology, health, weather, hunger, etc..., and very advanced in terms of OP use there were still problems. Human problems from ambition, jealousy, arrogance, failure, etc... still happened. Further evidence of this is the original purpose of the oath rods. They were used to "fix" certain behaviors.

2) The War of Power really started about 80-100 years after the bore. The effects of the Dark One's touch wasn't immediate. Remember that earliest passage of Rand's time in the ter'angreal. A man bumped into Rand's ancestor and was a jerk, but then immediately apologized once he became aware that he was Aeil. So, people were still people... there wasn't an avenue for pure evil like there was once the Dark One could touch the world.

3) I always interpreted the Aiel's failure as a few things. First their "mission" from the Aes Sedai was to take the ter'angreal and Avendesora somewhere once the breaking started. It's unclear if this was a specific location or not. Second would be that outside of the Jenn, that the Aeil stopped following the Way of the Leaf... but to me that's more of a cultural thing than "failing the Aes Seda". 

Thank you for the compliment, I was very excited when I stumbled on this train of thought and couldn't wait to share it with others!  As soon as I started talking to friends about it, I got quite a few blank stares, which did make me feel a bit frustrated.

I think your first point coupled with your second is a strong one; ultimately, I believe in free will, and my biggest argument that I have with myself over that theory is that I cannot believe all human behavior comes from the Dark One in the books, and from outside sources IRL. (But that second bit is a looooong conversation that doesn't have to do with this LoL)  I firmly believe there cannot be good without evil, else you have something completely undefined.  I guess, putting it simply, every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

In regards to your final point, I just think that the Aes Sedai were only interested in preserving what of the Aiel they could, especially after 100,000 (Give or take a 0) saved a great number of people by singing to a mad male Aes Sedai member, buying time for those who fled the city.  After such a wholesale slaughter, I think the Aes Sedai were committed to save those who were in their care.  They never specified a location, and thanks to the dreams of Rand's ancestors' wives, they learned they needed to go forth and multiply in the Waste.

Yes, because the Aiel discontinued their following of the Way of the Leaf, they broke their covenant and were no longer Dai'shan (An oath of dedication to their very bones, I think Moirraine once said in Book 4 when she travels to Rhuidean).  Their failure to the Aes Sedai occurred before they ever set foot on a road to find a safe place according to the memories of Rand during his final vision in the ter'angreal at Rhuidean.

Mrs. Cindy gill is right,some time after the breaking of the world,the da'shain aiel were ordered by the aes sedai to carry objects of power to safety,(rand's seventh flashback at rhuidean),during the incredibly long journey to the three fold land,the da'shain aiel disintegrated from one people into three,i.e.the tuatha'an who remained nonviolent but failed in their duty to the aes sedai,the aiel,who broke the nonviolence covenant and renounced the way of the leaf for the way of the spear,and the jenn aiel,who remained true to their covenant and duty but dwindled and died at rhuidean.

Ms. Cindy was right, and that final breaking of the Covenant destroyed the Aiel until only the Jenn remained, and they too, died off.

@dexterryu,

"it's unclear if this was a specific location or not".

I urge you to re-read rand's entire sequence of flashbacks at rhuidean,it is obvious that solinda sedai didn't have a specific location in mind"keep moving, always moving,until you find a place of safety where no one can harm you".

"But to me that's more of a cultural thing than failing the aes sedai".

The da'shain aiel's covenant i.e.serving aes sedai and following the way of the leaf was not a cultural thing,it was their raison d'etre,the covenant was everything "keep the covenant,jonai.if the da'shain aiel lose everything else,see they keep the way of the leaf.promise me.of course, aes sedai,he said shocked.the covenant was the aiel,and the aiel were the covenant".

I agree with you, Jack.  Thank you for the direct quotes!

@maedelin,

"...callandor would have been packed away with the rest of the objects that were

given to the aiel...'

no,regardless of solinda sedai true intentions concerning the mission,callandor was

simply too important for the future,the aes sedai built an entire fort to protect it.

"he seemed a grade-A jerk to me,overall."

oh come on,we don't have enough information to define lews therin,the only person

who knew lews therin intimately before the bore,before the taint,before he murdered

his own family and was still alive 3000 years later is mierin,and she said:" i can

remember when you were too soft hearted to use anyone.devious in battle,hard as

stone and arrogant as the mountains,but open and softhearted as a girl!"

"i believe in free will"

there's no free will in randland,the pattern is controlling all the decisions.

by the way,10000 da'shain aiel died at tzora,not 100000(give or take a 0).

That's not at all what we see when Jonai is tasked with the safekeeping of the items of power by Solinda Sedai though, and that's really the only interaction between AoL Aes Sedai and Aiel that we have. In Charn, we only have his thoughts about Mierin and how she has granted his release from her service so that he can marry his girlfriend and join her in service to her own Aes Sedai, but when we see an actual interaction, Jonai just does as he's told. Sure, he suggests that the Aiel might stay and do some good, but he is not acting as a moral compass to Solinda or any other Aes Sedai who is there, and this is despite the fact that he sees the dragon banner and thinks it should be destroyed. That indicates a moral decision on his part, and he keeps silent on it. He also doesn't try to be the "voice of reason" and press home his argument that the Aiel should stay in Paaran Disen and confront, however peacefully, the male Aes Sedai who are on their way to destroy it; he just accepts her argument that the items are more important, and the Aiel would only die in Paaran Disen the same way that they died in Tsora. She even twists her fingers into his hair until it becomes painful to him. That does not look anything like a so'jihn's relationship to an empress; it looks like the Aiel are just loyal and obedient servants.

Some other points of discussion when it comes to the AoL Aeil:

1) Prior to the bore being drilled, there pretty much was one world government. "War" was a long forgotten word, right? If so then at that time what were the rule of the way of the leaf? Did that just mean that Aiel were vegan? I only say this because in an age of non-violence that I'd be surprised if the Way was only about being non-violent.

2) I think the Aiel's purpose in the AoL was more than just serving the Aes Sedai. It seemed like they were the only people that sang the song of growing. It would seem to me that in addition to being of service to Aes Sedai that they had similar roles of service to society.

Some other points of discussion when it comes to the AoL Aeil:

1) Prior to the bore being drilled, there pretty much was one world government. "War" was a long forgotten word, right? If so then at that time what were the rule of the way of the leaf? Did that just mean that Aiel were vegan? I only say this because in an age of non-violence that I'd be surprised if the Way was only about being non-violent.

2) I think the Aiel's purpose in the AoL was more than just serving the Aes Sedai. It seemed like they were the only people that sang the song of growing. It would seem to me that in addition to being of service to Aes Sedai that they had similar roles of service to society.

I'm not sure about the one world government. Lews Therin summoned the Nine Rods of Dominion, and I'm pretty sure that those were rulers of some sort. Whether they were all regional representatives of the same government or separate, sovereign rulers of distinct nations, I don't think we can know for certain.

I read an interesting theory on here years ago about how the Aiel might have been non-channeling allies of the first channelers during the collapse of the Age before the AoL, or perhaps even earlier. The appearance (or reappearance, as the Wheel turned) of channeling almost surely precipitated the end of an age, and likely a violent one as folks with newly discovered super powers began to assert themselves and the non-channeling population resisted. This theory-monger from long ago posited that the Aiel were those who helped the channelers achieve dominance, and in the aftermath of the wreckage, both the channelers and the Aiel felt remorse at the death and destruction they had just emerged from, the channelers vowing to use their gifts for the good of humankind, becoming servants of all, and Aiel forswearing violence. 

I'm not sure if I believe it or not, but out of all the threads and theories I have read here, that is one from the distant past that has stuck with me. I think it is plausible, but it's impossible to be certain.

"I am lews therin telamon,the dragon. I ruled these lands,unified,during the age of legends.i was the leader of all the armies of light,i wore the ring of tamyrlin.i stood first among the servants,

Highest of the aes sedai,and i could summon the nine rods of dominion.i held the loyalty and fealty of all seventeen generals of dawn gates".

Interesting choice of words,like gentled ben said,i'm not sure about the one world goverment,it sounds more like a complex hierarchical structure.

• 2 weeks later...

I see the Aiel in the Age of Legends how Mccay was to Superman in Kingdom Come when he spoke to him.

They were to remind the Aes Sedai of their humanity and not let their powers control them. Not just following the Way of the Leaf. It was something they failed to do at the end when the Bore was drilled. The very instant they failed in the purpose.

• 1 month later...

"I am lews therin telamon,the dragon. I ruled these lands,unified,during the age of legends.i was the leader of all the armies of light,i wore the ring of tamyrlin.i stood first among the servants,

Highest of the aes sedai,and i could summon the nine rods of dominion.i held the loyalty and fealty of all seventeen generals of dawn gates".

Jack, for the love of Rand, do not pollute DM with Sanderson's pathetic prose. :madmyrddraal:  Please.

So he wrote things like this... :flamingsword: But even this little passage really shows that Sanderson does not understand anything about the world of WOT. He just does not get its societal structures, the characters, nothing. This is not even fan fiction quality. I even question that he was a fan after reading these sentences, because he is not aware of basic things at all. :mad:

• 4 weeks later...

szilard didn't read the last three books,and according to him(and not just him),

the real ending of the wheel of time series is lord of chaos,to be honest,i can

see where he is coming from,i am not a big fan of books 7-11 and even less of the

last three,i had my own reasons(one reason precisely) why i finished this series,

and even after four years i haven't changed my mind,i am glad that i finished this

series,but the wheel of time is full of problems and far from perfect.

• 9 months later...

These are thoughts that coalece after reading this entire thread.  All very good thoughts which led me to this:

Aes Sedai - The people in the government/intelligentsia. Not necessarily a "One Governsment" but they ran all culture and governments. (Rods of Dominion, etc).  "Servants of All" might have started out as the ideal (helping Travel and Healing) but later turned into more of our current politicians who, in turn, fall back on the turn "representatives"  when in truth they just lean towards selfish gain more often as not.  NOT ALL clearly, but note the Foresaken and hundreds of Dreadlords or other arrogant Aes Sedai without redeeming qualities.

LTT - Leader of these governments (Emperor of many different lands)

Aiel - Employees of the Aes Sedai to help the government run (harvests, Tree Singing, examples of servitude for the public). Since they are seen as "People of the Dragon", they might be loaned out by LTT or the station of Dragon like indentured servants to Aes Sedai as helpers; but protected and esteemed for The Way of the Leaf.  Not unlike lords in the Middle Ages. TWotL in turn is a way to condition a portion of the population as well as maintain the trust of the citizens.

Citizens - In the last few memories of Rand, they come across as not really more than people living their lives. No celebrity, historical notes, nor impact. Almost by-products or unsuccessful offspring that don't have the OP?

Just thoughts I wanted to shove out into the Randiverse. Sleep well and wake.

The Utopian aspect of the Age of Legends is that it was a society free of basic wants. Food and energy were both plentiful, and people worked to improve themselves or contribute to society rather than for survival.

When the Dark One was freed, we have descriptions of Sho-wings falling from the sky. My suspicion is that the release of the Dark One disrupted some vital aspect of the AOL technology, causing widespread chaos and panic. This led to a renewed need for survival struggles, which led to people with dark ambitions becoming prominent again.

The Aiel would have been a critical part of this utopia, essential in agricultural production with their "Voice". While they may not have been the only people capable of the growing songs, (recall that LTT asked Ishamael if he had the Voice) they were certainly the most organized, and likely represented the majority of those with the Voice.