DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

BT Bonded Mafia [Game thread]

BFG

Ben it's refreshing to see how excited you are about mafia in the qt with lee. Hold on to that. Once you get the hang of it you'll make a hell of a player imo. Please keep playing

This is what I thought too. You looked very good in your observations there.

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way Shad, I'm kinda curious what parts of my play you considered so bad in the mafia thread. Would love to know so I can take another look at it.

I mean I was writing from a scum POV so I was looking for things I considered exploitable.  You solved the game and won so I can hardly call it ineffective.

Mostly you expressed a level of confidence in your conclusions that I thought might strike people as exaggeration and thus an act, so I tried to get you to argue with me a bit in the hopes that it would rub off as w/w distancing/bussing.

That would be wonderful, and I will definitely feel like it. This seems like it could be a really fun game. It looks like Darthe demoted me from Focus Group to Potential Candidate, so I will look for some other sign up threads and see if there is a game that wants me.

Edited by Gentled Ben

That would be wonderful, and I will definitely feel like it. This seems like it could be a really fun game. It looks like Darthe demoted me from Focus Group to Potential Candidate, so I will look for some other sign up threads and see if there is a game that wants me.

Maybe he misunderstood and thought you were signing up to be a sub?

I said /in, and I'm pretty sure he had me as Focus Group until he misunderstood a joke I was making yesterday, which had nothing to do with wanting to play, so maybe he decided I was a poor personality fit or something. He  said something about not getting what you want if you don't ask for it, and I said something about the opposite, about often getting things I dont' want and didn't ask for, and he said it's just a game, and then bam, I'm /out.

Edited by Gentled Ben

I said /in, and I'm pretty sure he had me as Focus Group until he misunderstood a joke I was making yesterday, which had nothing to do with wanting to play, so maybe he decided I was a poor personality fit or something. He  said something about not getting what you want if you don't ask for it, and I said something about the opposite, about often getting things I dont' want and didn't ask for, and he said it's just a game, and then bam, I'm /out.

lol

Thanks! I bet that happens almost every game. It almost has to. 

It depends very much on the player. Some people are known for doing it, some actually don't.

Just like, in this game, Shad and Nego were defending one another. Meanwhile, if I'm scum, I try to read the thread without keeping anyone's alignment in mind, and base my reads on that. If a teammate is on top, I go for him/her, but if he isn't, I won't. The exception is this game, where I was not scared of using QT information to make up my read, because everyone knew about the lover pairs.

Actually, nevermind, it was mostly Nego defending Shad.

I never defended him though. You still don't get that.

All I did was state that I didn't want him lynched on D1 because 1) he had just subbed in and 2) I've goated as town with him and wanted to see if that was possible this time around too. On D2 I said he was a wolf.

I'd say the same thing if I was a villager.

Thanks! I bet that happens almost every game. It almost has to. 

It depends very much on the player. Some people are known for doing it, some actually don't.

Just like, in this game, Shad and Nego were defending one another. Meanwhile, if I'm scum, I try to read the thread without keeping anyone's alignment in mind, and base my reads on that. If a teammate is on top, I go for him/her, but if he isn't, I won't. The exception is this game, where I was not scared of using QT information to make up my read, because everyone knew about the lover pairs.

By "on top" and "Go for him/her," you mean your partner has become lead wagon and you pile on with the others and lynch them since they're going to die anyway, and fetching the rope for them looks villagery?

Well, there's a big difference between predicting that your partner's fate is inevitable and trying to be early on the ball taking them down, and gunning for them out of nowhere.  You'll hear different terms tossed around without any precise definition distinguishing them: distancing, bussing, hard bussing.  Think of it as a matter of degrees.

Like I would hardly say I bussed Nego in this game.  I accurately predicted that I was going to be lynched early enough to push him sooner than people necessarily expected me to if w/w, but I wouldn't have done it if say, the top suspect coming into D2 had been Ley.

You'll meet some people who target their team mates out of nowhere and drive them into the dirt.  It's not very effective and that's why most players don't do it, but it can work once in a while.

Well, there's a big difference between predicting that your partner's fate is inevitable and trying to be early on the ball taking them down, and gunning for them out of nowhere.  You'll hear different terms tossed around without any precise definition distinguishing them: distancing, bussing, hard bussing.  Think of it as a matter of degrees.

Like I would hardly say I bussed Nego in this game.  I accurately predicted that I was going to be lynched early enough to push him sooner than people necessarily expected me to if w/w, but I wouldn't have done it if say, the top suspect coming into D2 had been Ley.

You'll meet some people who target their team mates out of nowhere and drive them into the dirt.  It's not very effective and that's why most players don't do it, but it can work once in a while.

Ah, ok. I wasn't thinking in terms of actually attacking a teammate like that, just what I guess you would call a soft bus, like I wouldn't exclude them if I was thinking out loud in the thread, working out my mechanics in front of everyone while deciding how to vote (even though I already know how I'm going to vote, because I'm not really trying to find a wolf), and I was assuming that all wolves would do that. Taking down another wolf when they're in good shape is probably a bad idea since the wolves are a minority to begin with, but I would turn on a lame duck in a heartbeat if it made me look more like a villager. I mean, if they're going down anyway, might as well be in the popular clique. 

In random other news this is actually the second Mafia game I have on record for you in the database.  You apparently played one in 2006.  I wouldn't be surprised if you don't even remember it.  Wouldn't be the first time.

I vaguely remembered playing before and getting killed right out of the starting gate without understanding what was going on (worse than this time), and not having an interest in it beyond that. This is still my first game for all intents and purposes. Or I signed up and didn't post, or I signed up and it moved way too fast for me to play. This site was way more active in 2006, and there were some places, like the Green Ajah in the White Tower Org, where I just never went unless someone drug me there, because if I posted a comment in the morning and came back in the afternoon, there were 12 pages after my comment and the conversation was about something else entirely. I pretty much just posted only in the White Ajah and the WoT discussion boards until I got annoyed with some of the book discussion folks and just sat in the Ajah for the last several years. I also disappear for long periods of time. These past four or five months are the most active I've been since probably 2010, and this is the most I've moved around the forums since I was a novice and they made me post in other places as part of my...noviceness. 

tl;dr I don't  really remember except sort of. :tongue: