DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Okay, this is actually some super awesome music

Leyrann

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love it. I knew their first album a bit, and it was kinda average. Not bad, but nothing special either. Then my brother told me that their second and third albums (third one isn't even on YT yet, came out last month) are much better... Well, I'm convinced.

I can't really engage this topic fairly.  I'm a hater and I can't help it: traditional prog metal appeals to me about on par with pop country.  But I do think there are some elements that might overlap with what I listen to, though the mood is quite different.  I don't want to rudely deflect from the topic at hand for too long, but give this track a spin from around the 5 minute mark and let me know if your mind is not blown by 7:30.

I love Moonsorrow. :o

I don't see much of an overlap? but I listen to a heck of a lot of music on this end of the metal spectrum, so I might be pretty fine tuned to distinctions.

It both does well as background music. Constant sound, no vocals that are done in such a way you might end up singing along instead, etc. I can hear it's a different genre, but I really felt like it would also be good music to put up when needing to concentrate. Normally I use Moonsorrow for that.

If you like heavier songs maybe you should give The Edge of the World from DragonForce a try. Sadly there's no YT video of a studio version (album only came out a month ago) so you'll have to do with the live version.

For me, it's the song that brought them back to being one of my favorite bands from being too much of the same.

Note: I have no idea if the audio quality is good.

Yikes yeah I wouldn't say I like "heavy" music in the sense that this song uses it.  I like intensity where it's used to generate an emotional state in the listener.  I like artsy stuff, I guess.  When I hear standard "progressive" metal I pick up on a whole bunch of physical skill with, to me at least, very little aesthetic backbone.  When it starts hedging into power metal there are exceptions that I really love, like Blind Guardian and Turisas (though Turisas is as much folk as prog/power), and plenty that I don't personally seek out but certainly respect, like Iced Earth.  But when you get into Dragonforce and Dream Theater and that company, my ears just hear mindless noodlin' and couldn't care less how quickly John Petrucci can recite his scales.  That's not to say there's no heart to it, I just don't personally pick up on it.

Moonsorrow and Krallice definitely both function well as background music.  I like a song that can set me in a trance passively but can really wow me any time I stop and focus in on it.

I can never fully wrap my head around Moonsorrow.  Their folk has an otherworldly element to it--feels more fantasy than earthy--and I accustom that to lighter sounds, but they're quite grim more often than not.  I can't say I can regurgitate the melodies to any of their songs off the top of my head.  I have a hard time directly engaging them, but I must enjoy the background vibe decently because last.fm says I've listened to them 400+ times and their songs aren't exactly brief.

I can hum you every Krallice song on their first three albums from start to finish.  It's a very human sound from my pov.  They're one of the marquee bands of the post-black metal movement, which is a "genre" you could define any number of ways but generally attracts artists that want to explore emotional extremities.  If traditional black metal presents a stagnant state of darkness in perpetuity, post-black metal is all about the fleeting moment.  It's as much an evolution of post-rock as it is metal.

I've had a few drinks and this is all going to read absolutely ridiculous to me in the morning.  lulz

It's funny that you mention both Blind Guardian and Turisas, as they are far and away my two favorite bands, at least when they don't release pure feces like Turisas2013. Do you know any other bands that you kinda like in the same vein?

Also, the same holds true for Moonsorrow for me - I've listened it a lot, and when I'm listening to their songs I know exactly what's coming up in a few seconds, but to say I know their songs? The only of their songs that I really know is Tulimyrsky. Which, by the way, is one of my favorite songs.

It was a fascinating evolution in the history of music to me.  I sort of predicted it was coming and got to watch it all unfold afterwards and it was glorious.  Black metal was so caught up in this faux-tough guy mentality when it really needed to just let itself be emo as hell.  You got hints of that with Ulver and a few others, but it took until the mid-2000s for bands to really start to let go and not try to be so macho.  Alcest was the first band to really let it all go.  Neige took a classic black metal venue and chucked a faded, barely tangible, angelic sort of vocal track in the background, completely reenvisioned the focus of the sound.  The bleak, unyielding exterior ceases to be the point and rather comes to emphasizes the fleeting beauty buried beneath it:

The shame of that song is that so many bm fans were unprepared for it that it got horribly misguided/misunderstood reviews.  He eventually concluded that it was a failure and rerecorded it in a much more positive atmosphere that completely undermines the whole point of the thing.

It's funny that you mention both Blind Guardian and Turisas, as they are far and away my two favorite bands, at least when they don't release pure feces like Turisas2013. Do you know any other bands that you kinda like in the same vein?

Also, the same holds true for Moonsorrow for me - I've listened it a lot, and when I'm listening to their songs I know exactly what's coming up in a few seconds, but to say I know their songs? The only of their songs that I really know is Tulimyrsky. Which, by the way, is one of my favorite songs.

There's no band quite like Blind Guardian.  I guess Demons & Wizards, but they sound like exactly what they are: 50% BG 50% Iced Earth.  Turisas are somewhat unique in their ability to give their sound a high gloss and a lot of progressive elements and still come off fundamentally folky, but I can give you an endless barrage of folk metal bands if you don't mind grittier production.  I'll think on it in the morning.