DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Movie Sequels

wheeloftime13

We love a movie series, but depending on the franchise, how many is too many sequels? Which series have yet to reach too many and which sequel became an unnecessary one? Favorite series? What should they stop at eventually or should have in the first place.

One twilight was probably one too many.

Speed 2 was abysmal.

The Hobbit probably should have only been 2 films. The Lord of the Rings could have been 4-5 (especially if they had done a little more prologue). I might be biased tho because I would love to see some of the eldar days.

At least the film makers did address some of what was left out of LoTR.

I've been thinking that they got a little carried away with the Pirates of the Caribbean sequels since the third one. I haven't seen the new one so hopefully it's better than the fourth

I agree that The Hobbit should have been two movies instead of three.

I usually don't like sequels, unless they are part of planned series. Disney sequels are often a lot worse than the first movie. There are some exceptions though. I wasn't fond of Lion King 2 but number 3 was fun. The same with Ice Age 2 and 3.

Edited by Niniel

I enjoyed the fifth Pirates, but it wasn't really anything new either. 

I feel like I was the only person who actually liked all 3 Hobbit movies. Sure, it was unnecessary, but the Battle of the Five Armies was practically just summarized in the book and I liked getting to see all the details.

The fact that there's going to be a Toy Story 4 seems unnecessary. Toy Story 3 was the perfect ending, come on. 

Disney sequels are often a lot worse than the first movie. There are some exceptions though. I wasn't fond of Lion King 2 but number 3 was fun.

That's because for 3 they didn't take themselves seriously.

Well, it's a shame the Matrix never had any sequels...

:laugh:

Too true.

And don't you dare imply otherwise!

I couldn’t even make it through the first Hobbit movie, even though I enjoyed LotR.

I keep hoping that Downey will finish off the Sherlock Holmes trilogy... someday. Not holding my breath.

The Alien movies really should have stopped at two. Although AVP Requiem might make for a good MST3K episode.

Trek movies have been hit or miss. After Nemesis, I thought sure there would never be another Star Trek film after that. But every stinker gets followed by a better movie.

... and the less said about Quantum of Solace the better

Disney sequels are often a lot worse than the first movie. There are some exceptions though. I wasn't fond of Lion King 2 but number 3 was fun.

That's because for 3 they didn't take themselves seriously.

Well, it's a shame the Matrix never had any sequels...

Too true.

And don't you dare imply otherwise!

I know, and that´s what made it fun. :)

I could definitely see another Matrix movie if they make a good one. 

What do you all feel about the trend of splitting the last movie into two? I think it worked out well for Harry Potter, since it would have been hard to fit everything into one movie. But I think most splits are just about money. 

Harry Potter is actually the only split I know of... Well apart from the Wheel of Time books. And that one was split into... What, six?

Mockingjay (Hunger Games book 3) was split into two movies.

What else... Twilight?

5th Pirates of the Caribbean was awesome in my opinion! Much better than the 4th. The credit scene has me curious as to where they could take the series, but I think the 4th one had no point even if it contributed to some of the 5th. Uggg, twilight. Hobbit was good, I do think that the split of Harry Potter 7 was good mostly. I got sick of all the Hunger Games fans after the 1st movie because I had just been over it. I'd been wearing my hair in a braid and people were like Katniss!! And I was like "Nynaeve!"