DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

BlueRenCon 2017: Fandom Panel (a discussion)

Cross

I'm gonna start off and say I know this isn't everywhere and everyone...

Gaming. I play MMORPGs and for some reason the males refuse to accept that females enjoy gaming. Especially if a female happens to be better than them at something. If you reveal you're female or talk in a group chat, they call you a pre pubescent boy, or call you a liar/fake. I don't get into it with people anymore, I don't care what gender they think I am, but I definitely still see it all the time.

Not just on MMOs either, I see it in playing D&D and board games and reading comics, and basically being a nerd in general. For some reason the nerd=male stigma is still going very strong. I haven't seen it on DM ever though so that is really nice.

I hear you! It used to happen a lot to me when I was gearing for raiding on WoW. Given it wasn't my guild but it still happened. I've just disabled the group chat when I'm on. The SWTOR gamers aren't as bad though; typically they have random discussions about bacon.

Otherwise I haven't experienced it myself but I have seen it in fandom's I'm not a part of.

I did forget one fandom I loved: MERLIN!!!!!!

Aside from that, the other thing that springs to mind is from the book series/Starz adaptation for Outlander. There's a significant portion of the fandom that thinks the two main stars' on-screen chemistry is so great that they insist on shipping the actors off-screen, and some have gone overboard with it.

As I recall there was a bit of a controversy over it last year, and William Shatner got involved.

https://www.themarysue.com/william-shatner-outlander-fandom/

That is crazy!

I've been a fan of the books for years and I'm actually watching season 1 of Outlander just now. I mean the characters do have good chemistry but that's so creepy. Such a violation for the actors and for the fanbase to start doxxing each other over "shipping"? That's definitely went too far.

Ladies, this makes me sad.  On behalf of the male gamers, I apologize profusely. If I had a son and ever found out he did this... :mad: .  I've had so many females in our D&D groups it amazes me that anyone would treat someone like that.  If my daughter ever got into online gaming and this is what the environment is like I'd either not let her or at least not let her reveal she's a girl.  This seriously pisses me off.  The more I think about it the more angry I get.

It used to really frustrate me, but honestly, I think it's kind of flattering now lol. I love when someone is being rude and then they find out they got beat by a girl! For some reason this bothers them *angelface*

It used to really frustrate me, but honestly, I think it's kind of flattering now lol. I love when someone is being rude and then they find out they got beat by a girl! For some reason this bothers them *angelface*

This would be good.

thats always been my approach to things like that. annoyance and frustration is oddly satisfying. 

it does spread outside of the gaming fandoms though. i've read and heard stories from people in the comic world who've experienced the same thing. what do you think is the cause? personally it seems to be in what was traditionally male dominated areas, that when women really step into them the guys feel threatened? 

eh its just speculation and observation on any count. 

but in the spirit of con-titude, course change it is. 

there are several outlets in expressing fandom. do you have a favorite? collecting? cosplay? art? conventions? geeking out?

So true. It was a really random discussion that happened on the Republic Fleet one day. If I recall correctly it was pretty even between players in terms of female/male. Otherwise it's never mentioned that I see.

I know when I'm in comic stores with _wolfbrother_ I typically get stared at by people there but staff are always nice. It's the same when I go by myself even. I think it might depend on the area you're in. We have 4 comic stores in town and I refuse to go into 1 of them because the owner is quite sexist and very rude about it. He's one of the 2 that sells diced for Shadowrun and D&D and he loses a lot of business because of it. 

I know at the Calgary Expo, the people running it have come down hard on people in the last few years for harassment of others. It's mainly for cosplay and saying "Cosplay isn't consent" but if anyone feels like they are being harassed for whatever reason they can go the staff with what's happening.

• Elgee locked this topic