DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
thehumantrashcan

A Fandom Conundrum

In relation to this month's roll call, I was thinking, what fandom would you choose if you couldn't be anyone "special." Say you were a mere peasant in Randland, or just a kid on a backwards planet in Star Wars but no affinity to the force.  That sort of thing.  Conversely, what if you lived in your least favorite, popular fandom but would being someone "special" redeem that fandom?

Interesting question, because I was thinking that a bit myself.  I chose Middle Earth with the specific idea in mind that I could be part of the "special" lot.  My thought was the hero class there had it best.  I wondered a bit where I would go if I was just some Joe, but what came to mind wasn't an option.

I'd take the Suikoden universe.

It's a risk, I know.  Peasants have it rough no matter what universe they belong to.  Part of Suikoden's charm though is that anyone willing to pick up and follow the series' equivalent of ta'veren inherits the potential to become "special".  You don't have to be born into it or get lucky.  In Suikoden, you can seek it out.

The second question is a lot less exciting to me.  It means I'd be stuck in Star Wars but be the most powerful Jedi ever, basically.  Maybe I could invent a cool sport like Ewok tossing?

I'd want to be an elf and live in Rivendell.

I'd be a muggle in Hogwarts and get in trouble with a certain potion's master. :happy:

as for least favorite : member of the Cullen family in Twilight. Ugh to the sparkle, but yum to the daddy!

I had this discussion a lot in an earlier life.

"Man!" a friend would say, "Wouldn't it be cool to live in Middle Earth? I'd travel around and meet all those cool people."

"Why don't you travel around this Earth and meet cool people?" I'd ask.

"Uh, because I have to go to work. I can't afford to travel."

"What makes you think you won't have to work in Middle Earth? What would you live on?"

"Um, I guess I'd be a traveling minstrel so that I can earn money wherever I go," he'd say.

"Well, I've heard you sing. You'd be dead by starvation in a week. And how many traveling minstrels do you know about in Middle Earth?" I asked.

"You're no fun, you know that?"

"True. But my point is, if you lived in Middle Earth, you'd probably be a peasant farmer, a grunt soldier cum cannon fodder, or a slave."

Cool question!

I guess if I had to pick I'd still go with Wizarding world of Harry Potter. Even though I'm squib I could still go to diagon alley and have butterbeer and watch quidditch on the weekends. It would be excellent. Also it means I wouldn't have to be a farmer. I think if I picked one of the other popular worlds I'd be of farming stock  :laugh:

I think my least favourite worlds would be scifi ones. So I'd either be a really powerful jedi or the captain of a spaceship. Seems like either way I have a high chance of being killed by lasery things  :laugh:  :laugh:

I'm very much like Blank lol. 

I'd totally end up being like a jedi or something. 

Definitely Harry Potter, in that case. I'd love to be just a random Slytherin, honestly. I don't think having magic is considered "special" in that world. 

If, on the other hand, you won't let me have magic, I'll go with Middle-Earth and live in the Shire.

I'd be happy with Narnia as an average Joe, simply because being human, you can't help but be special in Narnia, even if I was a 'traditional' creature, it'd still be awesome to be surrounded by talking animals, nymphs, centaurs, etc.  I'd hate to be in any Warhammer world where war is constant.  I'm sure I'd be dead in no time.

as for least favorite : member of the Cullen family in Twilight. Ugh to the sparkle, but yum to the daddy!

That's what I thought as soon as I read the question...*shivers* In my opinion, nothing can fix that.

I don't know where I'd want to be. On one hand I'd be ok with being in Rivendell just sewing my days away or I could be muggleborn at Hogwarts with my nose stuck in a book

Definitely Harry Potter, in that case. I'd love to be just a random Slytherin, honestly. I don't think having magic is considered "special" in that world. 

^i'd love that too

Or a random human in the Mass Effect universe. I'd love to meet all those alien races :biggrin:

Edited by Chaelca

With Harry Potter I always just assumed I would be a random student, I never expected to try to defeat a dark wizard or something. I would likely be so much like Hermione that it's embarrassing. What muggle born would be freaking psyched to suddenly be magical and get to take all the cool magic classes?! I totally get her enthusiasm.

Honestly, if I had to choose a fandom, it would probably be Pern again. Just getting to SEE dragons would be so cool! Maybe I could work in the kitchen at one of the.... What do they call the place where the dragon riders live again? Wow I need to reread.

Staw Wars, because there you don't have to be a force user to do heroic things, any one can if they choose to.

It does sort of raise another interesting question if you think about it, though. We assume we would want to be a part of these universes based on the two fantasies of 1) fantastic powers and/or 2) fantastic elements (technology, creatures, etc.); but in addition to the possibility of being a moisture farmer in the Galaxy Far Far Away or a muggle in the Potterverse, there's also the unintended consequence that whatever elements we "outsiders" take as fantastic in our universe would be considered common and mundane in their universe. Does it diminish the wonder if you were just a nameless grunt in the Rohirrim, even if there were orcs and elves and wizards? Are dragons just seen as the most effective defense whenever the Red Star passes overhead?

Elves, though, are kinda special.

And then that gets into the whole "when" question; rivendell wasn't even a thing until the majority of the caliquendi had already left middle earth...

I'd be perfectly fine being a background Ravenclaw at Hogwarts, a random being in Narnia, or a background elf or hobbit or such in Lord of the Rings.

Nothing can redeem twilight. I don't really know what my "least favorite" fandom is beyond that.... 

Hmm... I could be good anywhere, I think. I could run a tavern or be a lesser noble in Randland. Could be a teacher at Hogwarts. Could be a Hobbit. 

I sort of am the invisible in my favorite genre (Urban Fantasy). So... I have lots of practice? lol

I'd want to be an elf and live in Lothlorien, but yeah, same idea. I don't care if I'm like a janitor elf or a prince; I would still make the same choice.

Edited by Gentled Ben

Tough choice.

I would have to say that the major topic points hold little interest for me. Star Wars, meh. LotR, meh. Harry Potter, meh.

Anyone know R.A Salvatore? Drizzit? That's the universe I wanna live in. Actual flesh and blood dieties, magic and martial prowess are fairly evened out. Sneaky dark elves and headstrong dwarves. Count me in. Even if I'm still roofing in that world too.

Or, best case scenario, evil, moustach twirling super villain in Steampunk Land.

Tough choice.

I would have to say that the major topic points hold little interest for me. Star Wars, meh. LotR, meh. Harry Potter, meh.

Anyone know R.A Salvatore? Drizzit? That's the universe I wanna live in. Actual flesh and blood dieties, magic and martial prowess are fairly evened out. Sneaky dark elves and headstrong dwarves. Count me in. Even if I'm still roofing in that world too.

Or, best case scenario, evil, moustach twirling super villain in Steampunk Land.

I love that universe too. It would be fun to live there.

So long as I'm not in the Underdark, of course. Dark Elves are awesome and all but I wouldn't want to live with them. Wouldn't mind living in Icewind Dale, though, since I love snow.

Sweet, a fellow Forgotten Realmer.

Have you read the Cleric Quintet?

Same universe, different characters. And I love how RA Salvatore mashed em together later in the series