DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

how to get friends and family into reading tWoT?

I've been very successful with this--what you do is that you dont let on that there are 11 books. You give them Eye of the World, and pretend thats it. Then pretty much just let the book do the work. They'll read on.

Your friend or family member has to already love reading as a prerequisite. They also have to love fantasy. Then you have to tell them to read tEotW without telling them anything but that it's part of the series. You tell them that you just want them to try it out and see whether they like it. After they read it is when you break the news to them that tEotW was book one out of twelve, and that the twelfth hasn't come out yet.

If you've already talked to them about it, then you're screwed. Unless you have a friend or family member who's really bored all the time and you can just say, "What else do you have to do, dude?"

I left my copy of EotW in the magazine rack in the bathroom for a couple of month's, not on purpose mind you, just forgot it in there and never took it out. About six weeks later my mom asked me for book 2 and soon after that my brother was asking me for book 2.

What I've learned since then is that people will look for anything to read while sitting on the pot. That's how my family got drawn into the series.

I got one of my friends to start the series, and he LOVED the first book. He just bought the second, and he'll probably read the whole series. I guess it's because he likes good fantasy books.

It's really interesting how he learned about the series, tho. One day he saw me reading WoT Now? (the webcomic at shadowburn.com)and he asked me what it was. SO i told him it was about the Wheel of Time, and I guess that was enough.

I have a problem though! One of my close friends has read books 1-10 and refuses to read any further, because CoT sucked. HOW CAN I GET HIM TO START READING AGAIN?

Guest Barmacral

Send him here, to DM. Seriously, if your friend won't read further because he didn't like one book out of 10, then he should seriously hear from more than just you that book 11 is good.

I managed tog et my family to read it but not all of them want to go past the first book. Like my mom she perfers having a book you know exactly what the heros goal is.

Im thinking of giving her new spring so that she can get a little more of the back story.

Yeah' date=' that's what got me into them. If I'd known that the later books were all intrigue and no Shadowspawn, I might have reconsidered. :x[/quote']

QFT

Give them EoTW. Its the first high. The intrigue that follows is just enough to keep you reading. You'll never get the same high again.

I left my copy of EotW in the magazine rack in the bathroom for a couple of month's' date=' not on purpose mind you, just forgot it in there and never took it out. About six weeks later my mom asked me for book 2 and soon after that my brother was asking me for book 2.

What I've learned since then is that people will look for anything to read while sitting on the pot. That's how my family got drawn into the series.[/quote']

when I read the title of this post the bathroom wsa the first thought in my mind. People will read anything if they are sitting there for a while

It helps if your family/friends like reading to begin with, I've found. My sister actually got me into reading the WoT books, so it does work from time to time. She brought book one over on one of her visits, and left it with us, so I picked it up to read.

I left my copy of EotW in the magazine rack in the bathroom for a couple of month's' date=' not on purpose mind you, just forgot it in there and never took it out. About six weeks later my mom asked me for book 2 and soon after that my brother was asking me for book 2.

[/quote']

Man i hope they did read it and did'nt use it for something else... :lol:

I've been very successful with this--what you do is that you dont let on that there are 11 books. You give them Eye of the World' date=' and pretend thats it. Then pretty much just let the book do the work. They'll read on.[/quote']

Haha! Slightly underhanded, too. That's a brilliant idea. Hopefully they make it to the second half of TEOTW first, though.

I found recently it's not good to trumpet the series too much. It's obvious, maybe, but I got kinda excited about the possibility of getting someone to talk to about WoT who wouldn't look at me cross-eyed. Expectations can kill anything. And WoT isn't a perfect read; several people I know abhor it. *sob*

My sons got me to start the series by lying and telling me KoD was the last book. They had been trying to get me to read them for years, but I was so turned off on "series" because of Jean M. Auel, that I wouldn't. One comment my younger son made, "It's like Lord of the Rings that never ends." almost got me, but I was gonna wait for the final book. We got my husband to read them by sticking TEoTW in his carry on when he had a five hour flight and a week staying in a hotel room for work.He asked for the second book within half an hour of getting home.

Archived