DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Ryrin

Hobby Horsing. What do you think?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/hobby-horsing-craze-in-finland-manifestation-of-girl-power/2017/04/30/e1cf6944-2d80-11e7-a335-fa0ae1940305_story.html?utm_term=.75b27ebf9753

“I think hobby-horsing has a feministic agenda,” Aarniomaki said, after having judged competitions at the national championships. “No boys are coming and saying what we need to do, or bossing around. So I think there is some sort of a (feministic) point.”

"Like a real horse and its rider, the hobbyhorse and its master form a team and become attached to each other."

“It gives a chance to those children and teens who don’t own horses to interact with them also outside stables and riding schools.”

ROTFL

I guess if that's what people want to do with their time, that's what they want to do, though my opinion is one from the article: "hobby-horsing [is a] childlike past-time not suitable for anyone aged over 10." If it was for a ceremony, i.e. using a hobby horse to represent a real horse, I would get it, but don't really get it as a supposed sport or pasttime for young adults/adults. They probably don't see boys competing because, if you can get past how ridiculous it looks, most boys probably don't want to be hitting their balls repeatedly with a broomstick anyways.

Doesn't seem any sillier than most other sports things to me. They seem to be having fun, getting some exercise. lol I could never have done any of that stuff without the hobby horse let alone with it.

Doesn't seem any sillier than most other sports things to me. They seem to be having fun, getting some exercise. lol I could never have done any of that stuff without the hobby horse let alone with it.

I agree with this!!!

I think it's stupid and even sillier to say it has a "feministic agenda" but she speaks English really well.

I've seen stupider things?

Pretty much this.

Doesn't seem any sillier than most other sports things to me.

But not so much this.

Because the toy horse doesn't appear to contribute much if anything to the actual physical performance.

It would be the equivalent of NFL linebackers all wearing chicken suits just because, no?

it differs from passing a baton somehow? or wearing kilts and throwing logs? or renting shoes worm by thousands of others and rolling a ball down a wooden board to knock down some pins? or wearing inflatable sumo suits and wrestling? or using a cheese grater or folding chair to wrestle? or kicking barefoot in a football game cause that's a thing? or using an apple picking device to scoop a ball out of flight and fling it like a projectile at each other's heads? or hitting a ball with a stick on the ground or in the air or through hoops or at nets or at other people? or running from one piece of dust to another because someone else hit a ball with a piece of wood and it flew to one part of a field and not any other? or throwing a ball as hard as you can at your classmate' because they don't let you punch them but they force you to play dodgeball?

um. no. except maybe racing and boxing all sports have silly rituals and nonsense attached to them, and if the girls want to run and jump with a stick between their legs what the heck. go sports!

Edited by Mrs. Cindy Gill

actually my favorite is hockey where the men skate like fairy princesses and then beat the teeth out of each other's heads just because.

an then the guy in the chicken suit comes out and prances on the ice while the zamboni polishes up the bloody ring.

it differs from passing a baton somehow? or wearing kilts and throwing logs? or renting shoes worm by thousands of others and rolling a ball down a wooden board to knock down some pins? or wearing inflatable sumo suits and wrestling? or using a cheese grater or folding chair to wrestle? or kicking barefoot in a football game cause that's a thing? or using an apple picking device to scoop a ball out of flight and fling it like a projectile at each other's heads? or hitting a ball with a stick on the ground or in the air or through hoops or at nets or at other people? or running from one piece of dust to another because someone else hit a ball with a piece of wood and it flew to one part of a field and not any other? or throwing a ball as hard as you can at your classmate' because they don't let you punch them but they force you to play dodgeball?

um. no. except maybe racing and boxing all sports have silly rituals and nonsense attached to them, and if the girls want to run and jump with a stick between their legs what the heck. go sports!

Some of those cited just incidentally have items that are non-essential to the sport, and aren't built around the non-essentiallity like "hobby-horsing." I.e. you don't technically need bowling shoes to bowl, that's just a rule in some bowling venues, and you don't need a kilt to toss a caber (that is essential to the Gaelic tradition, though, if that's where it's set, and I would hardly call that "nonsense"). Far as something like hurling goes, the premise is pretty straightforward even if someone would call it an unnecessary embellishment - hit a ball around with a stick (and these could technically be used as weapons, so there is some practical point to it). Hobby-horsing though relies on treating a stick (and yourself) like an imaginary horse - which is on an entirely different level, better or worse, than other sports (though it would be on the same level as sumo wrestling in inflatable suits, I would agree). 

LOL, Cindy.

My sons played hockey and hockey is nothing like figure skating. Checking is pretty brutal and one son played goalie and the protective equipment is amazing and he still got bruised.

The zamboni is named after the guy who originally made it. They manufacture them in Paramount, CA. Trivia for the day.

http://zamboni.com

I've hone to hockey games in person and I actually do enjoy them and the men do skate just like in the ice cap added and suddenly break into brutal beatings and it is fun and funny and horrifying.

I have a feeling we're just not in on the joke here. these girls aren't idiots, they know they're being silly, and again, they're having fun. good for them.

I was thinking about that..... you have been to hockey games. Lucky!

isn't this how cavalry trains in the band of the red hand ?

>>

<<

otherwise i'll just follow what Myra said lol :biggrin:

Edited by Chaelca

Well, I'll go against the trend here, I think it looks really cool.

Not something I'd be into certainly but it's hurdles and basic gymnastics and the girls look like they're having a great time. And I like the horses, they're kind of like their uniform except they can choose what it looks like and customise it and I think it's very creative. 

Also, I don't think it's inherently feminist but I sort of get where she's coming from. Here me out  :laugh:

So I recently got into a new hobby. It's called "planning". So basically you have a planner/diary/filofax etc and you decorate it. Sounds silly but having all my plans covered in stickers and fun coloured washi tap and little sparkly gems really cheers me up! There's a maaassive following for it. The vast majority of people that I've interacted with have been women. It's not because men are excluded at all, maybe they're not as into planning, maybe they're not as into stickers and sparkly things, maybe they're just not as into talking about it on the internet  :laugh:  :laugh: Who knows, the point is it's a woman based community.

I have been part of majority female spaces on the internet before but they were feminist groups etc and it was always a place to be serious and share information. 

This is different and it has completely surprised me by how nice it is. The woman on my fb group don't just share planning tips but also ask for advice on their love lives, and childcare tips and some 18+ type advice and they come together to send care packages if people's loved ones die etc. They are extremely caring and it's constantly like having a drunken heart to heart with a girlfriend. 

So planning, like hobby horsing, doesn't have a "feministic agenda" and men would never ever be excluded but sometimes it's surprisingly nice to be in an all female space. 

I dunno if any of this made sense, I'm very sleep deprived  :tongue:

It made a lot of sense. And I don't think they even care what we think of them, they're in their own space doing their own thing, they all get it, they all enjoy it, and la if anyone doesn't.

I literally never had fun at that age, not once, and I always cared what people thought even if I acted the opposite. So yay them, and yay for being strong and young and confident enough to do what they like without interference.

I might need a hobby horse.

So I recently got into a new hobby. It's called "planning". So basically you have a planner/diary/filofax etc and you decorate it. Sounds silly but having all my plans covered in stickers and fun coloured washi tap and little sparkly gems really cheers me up! There's a maaassive following for it. The vast majority of people that I've interacted with have been women. It's not because men are excluded at all, maybe they're not as into planning, maybe they're not as into stickers and sparkly things, maybe they're just not as into talking about it on the internet  :laugh:  :laugh: Who knows, the point is it's a woman based community.

Not to get off-topic here, but if you ever want to geek out about this, hit me up.  Most of my subscribed YouTube channels are planner channels right now, lol  :laugh:

I want to make fun of it, but considering I've played Quidditch, I really can't. It looks kinda fun. I'd do it, but I wouldn't take it super seriously.

The feminist thing and the fact that they "form a bond" with the hobby horse is weird, though. 

Not to get off-topic here, but if you ever want to geek out about this, hit me up.  Most of my subscribed YouTube channels are planner channels right now, lol   :laugh:

yeeees, they're so good...I'm trying to stop myself buying a silhouette 

(no more off topicness, I promise  :laugh:)

Edited by blank