DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

If an AS ties off a weave and then dies, does the tied off weave dissipate?

Matt Wolf

I apologize in advance if this is the wrong place to ask this question or if it's already been asked. I searched the forums for it, but found nothing.

I'm writing a piece of fanfic that I plan to adapt to a short film, and I'd like to remain true to the WoT laws of physics.

If an AS ties off a weave and then dies (while the weave is tied off), does the tied off weave dissipate? Or does it stay around until another AS comes and unties it?

the weave will dissipate with time,depending on the weaver's strength.

after the battle between rand and asmodean at rhuidean,lanfear tied an

incomplete shield around asmodean,it allowed a trickle of saidin through,

but it wasn't permanent,she told rand that the shield will dissipate after a while.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the only situation where the One Power dissapears instantly on death is when the person is actively weaving it at the time, since they always talk about the hundreds of wards that are constantly around the White Tower to protect it from various things. Couldnt see them having to keep a monitor on those wards so that sisters can recast them as soon as teh sister that cast them 300 years ago dies of old age.

SPOILERS

Pretty sure that a tied off weave will remain even if the weaver dies... otherwise the weaves around Callandor, Tar Avalon, and the Eye of the World wouldn't remain. Lanfear's shield on Asmodean doesn't in fact dissipate - Rand thinks it a cruel joke on him to give him hope that he will be able to channel again at full strength. Often channellers deliberately weave shields to dissipate after a length of time, such as after Semirhage's 'daughter of the 9 moons' attack.

Perhaps that's one of the properties of the weave itself. By default, weaves naturally erode, but the weaver can construct the weave such that it will be permanent.

Isn't that how our world works? An architect can design a manufactured house that will be essentially be rubbish in a few decades, or he can design a cathedral that stands for more than a millennium.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think the only situation where the One Power dissapears instantly on death is when the person is actively weaving it at the time, since they always talk about the hundreds of wards that are constantly around the White Tower to protect it from various things. Couldnt see them having to keep a monitor on those wards so that sisters can recast them as soon as teh sister that cast them 300 years ago dies of old age.

Like if someone is holding a shield or actively maintaining a weave.

the weave will dissipate with time,depending on the weaver's strength.

after the battle between rand and asmodean at rhuidean,lanfear tied an

incomplete shield around asmodean,it allowed a trickle of saidin through,

but it wasn't permanent,she told rand that the shield will dissipate after a while.

Yes and no.  That shield was designed to dissipate so that as he taught Rand, over time he could gain trust and channel stronger weaves.  The plan was for him to teach Rand all that he knew over the next few years, not to kill him.  That was Graendal on a whim we are told.  

But there are exceptions.  True, most weaves will dissipate, some much quicker than others as in gateways seem to close slowly even when weaves are used to hold them open, but we see one weave in particular that has lasted 3000 years, that being the wards on Callandor and those that hold the sword in the air turning it.  Objects imbued with the power seem to last, like weapons and Ter'angreal, Angreal, and so forth.  I also suspect the weaves Rand used in Rhuidean to make the fountains flow will run forever.  The only way that a weave like those would fail is like during the cleansing, if all of Saidin or Saidar were massively channeled exceeding the flow that replenishes it.  We see that you can store some of the power outside of the source like in wells and with the Eye.