DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

No Longer Worried

Hunter328

The first time I started read The Wheel of Time I had read up through book 10, Crossroads of Twilight, reading each one after it was released. However I delayed picking up Knife of Dreams (partly because of what I thought of Crossroads) and still hadn't when I learned of Robert Jordan's death. Then, in early 2016, I decided I'd finally complete them. However it had been so long since Id originally read them that I'd forgotten most of the details so I decided that I'd start from the beginning.

The entire time I was reading though I was worried that I'd commit so much time to reading the series only to get to the point where Brandon Sanderson took over and discover I didn't enjoy his writing. I'd started on of his books before and hadn't cared for it. However, now almost a year later and nearing the end of the first of Sanderson's three WoT books I can happily say that my worries were unnecessary.

I've never read a series that had been finished or continued by another author but I think Sanderson has done an excellent job. In fact I've been enjoying The Gathering Storm as much if not more than the earlier Jordan books. I'm sure part of that is due to the fact events are coming to a close and the action is thus more dramatic but I also think Sanderson's writing is greatly responsible. After 11 books I had grown weary of Jordan's overly descriptive style to the point I'd found myself often just skimming past entire paragraphs at a time. Plus, toward the end of his run, I'd found that much of what Jordan focused on writing about was largely unnecessary to the overall story, particularly with Crossroads of Twilight. I'm sure there were some crucial tidbits in that one that aren't coming to mind right now but both times after finishing that particular book I found myself thinking that the story hadn't really progressed at all from where any of the storylines had been at the end of book nine. That said, Jordan did pick up the pace quite a bit with Knife of Dreams and I thought that that was one of the best of his WoT books.

Now, almost finished with book 12, thanks to both writers I'm as into the series as I've been at any point, often reluctantly turning out the lights and going to bed hours later than I should have. I both can't wait to see how it all ends and am reluctant to finish and have to say goodbye to characters who've kept me company for so long and through so much.

Any thoughts are welcome but please remember I've yet to finish book 12 or even start 13 and 14, so please do not spoil even the tiniest detail of what I've yet to read.

Thanks!

I agree with you. I too thought RJ's writing was getting stale towards the end. About 7 books in the middle could be compressed into three and it would make no difference. I did love the original books though.

I've seen a lot of hate towards BS for how he wrote the books. I personally really enjoyed the last three books, more than RJ's last 9. He delivered on everything we could have asked for and it was a nice change of pace seeing things happen instead of drawing then out...

I've shifted some posts into a new Jordan/Sanderson catch all thread, please continue that discussion there as the author for this thread hasn't finished the series yet

Archived