DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Dr. Strange lives in Randland

Kesiera_Sedai

Just finished watching Dr. Strange, and I loved it, but for all the wrong reasons....Is it just me, or is the whole magic system simply a ripoff of The One Power with different terminology? I mean, they showed the "weaves", making gateways, ter'angreals (they called them relics but the explanation was the same), the Chinese guy was Brown Ajah, and Dr. Strange even had to face the Dark One. I mean, of course there are only so many ways to show magic being used, but really? I mean they even had an Amrylin (I'm sorry, they called her the Ancient One). How can they get away with that?

dr strange,the comics character was born in 1963,years before the wheel of time.

not to mention how many ideas robert jordan borrowed from tolkien.

Yeah, I know, but for some reason the comics didn't remind me of TWoT. The presentation of the movie is too similar. Has anyone else seen it?

This is true...I was just hoping for something more original. It seems the scriptwriters these days just take novels and comics and create a mishmash, hoping that none of the viewers are old enough or knowledgeable enough to realize that the Salisbury steak and potatoes is really just a hamburger and fries, remixed

I loved it too. There were a few nods, but that was it. More likely the director may have been a fan of the books. I have seen plenty of nods to TWOT, including having the books on a shelf. Until the show comes to fruition, I am happy seeing the nods to the series however they do it. I mean, the Shannara Chronicles show even has a male Min!! That got me excited. Dr Strange is to me, not a Randland inhabitant, not with the interdimensional magic that was being shown, still less the time manipulation. More like the magic that Merlin would do is what Dr Strange was doing. But the Ancient One I agree is a big nod to TWOT, especially how great she was in the film. Moiraine was well respected here.

Archived