2 table spoons good quality cooking oil (olive, or olive mix, or grape-pit)
2 medium sized onions, peeled and finely chopped
500g (1.1 pound) carrots, cleaned and roughly chopped
500g(1.1 pound) raw potatoes, cleaned, peeled, and quartered (depending on the size - mustn't be cubed, that would be too small)
1 cup (250ml / 0.528 pints) boiling water (metric cup is more than what you guys consider to be a cup)
1/2 teaspoon good quality salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper (I used my normal mixed pepper)
1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg (freshly grated is best - gives unbelievable flavour. be careful, though and taste before adding more)
2 table spoons butter
375ml (0.79 pints) boiling milk
1) Fry the onion and carrots in the oil in a heavy based saucepan (medium heat) till they become almost golden brown.
2) Add the potatoes, salt, pepper, nutmeg and water. Cover with a lid and allow to simmer till the veggies are soft.
3) Add the butter and boiling milk, stir through.
4) Crush lightly, so that pieces of vegetable are still identifiable.
5) Stir through and taste, Add more salt, pepper, nutmeg if necessary.
Enjoy with Frikkadelle (South African meatballs - will post recipe next).