DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Westworld S01 [No Spoilers]

Nolder

How is there not a thread for Westworld here yet?

With Game of Thrones wrapping up in a few seasons this is slated to be HBO's next big thing.

If you haven't seen it yet the basic premise is sometime in the near future people built a huge "Western" theme park and filled it with lifelike robots.

So you can experience gun slinging, treasure hunting, whoring, saloon poker games and knife fights, etc, etc. If you can pay the price ($40,000/d).

Anthony Hopkins stars as the CEO and creator of the technology that made the robots possible and is playing his usual amazing Machiavellian bad guy.

Since we're on episode 7 and no one is talking about it yet I'm going to declare this a spoiler free thread so if you want to talk spoilers please use the spoiler tags until the season is over, then it's free game.

Here's a trailer for the first season:

Nol, have you seen the original movie from the '70s? Cindy and I watched it last week and thought it was good. I'd never seen it before, although she had.

One story aspect that has been left out of the show was that the amusement park has other settings besides the Old West. I'm wondering if the show intends to work them in someday.

Nol, have you seen the original movie from the '70s? Cindy and I watched it last week and thought it was good. I'd never seen it before, although she had.

One story aspect that has been left out of the show was that the amusement park has other settings besides the Old West. I'm wondering if the show intends to work them in someday.

I was aware of it but I have not watched it so I could be totally surprised and come into the show with no expectations.

It's been awhile since I've been able to do that so I'm enjoying the experience.

• 4 weeks later...

2 eps in; it's not at all what I expected, but I like it.

More violent and graphic than I generally like in sci-fi (but it's HBO, so, whatever), the themes are interesting, and I question the logic of some scenes/characters, but, in general, I'm enjoying it.

Future seasons?

2 eps in; it's not at all what I expected, but I like it.

More violent and graphic than I generally like in sci-fi (but it's HBO, so, whatever), the themes are interesting, and I question the logic of some scenes/characters, but, in general, I'm enjoying it.

Finished.

I liked the search for conciousness; this isn't the first sci-fi to do it - GotS and even TNG hit on it, though it was definetly the most violent. Really my only objection, in the end, is to the use of violence to trigger grief to trigger conciousness, or maybe I'm missing something.

I did really like the Man In Black/William backstory, that was cool.

Who is/was Arnold, how is/was he modifing code post-mortum?

Did Dr. Ford know that he was going to die? Was this the plan the whole time?

What will the second season tackle? How the hosts are recieved in the post-modern world? That would be cool, but a bit of a rehash of the "vampires amoung us" theme of True Blood (ie, how does human society react when we learn that we aren't alone).

Edited by Tyzack

I could have done without

Dolores turning out to be Wyatt. We had Bernard really be Arnold, William really be the Man in Black, do we really need another "X was really Y all along" twist? One is a good surprise, two is still interesting, three is beating the trope into the ground.

Dolores turning out to be Wyatt. We had Bernard really be Arnold, William really be the Man in Black, do we really need another "X was really Y all along" twist? One is a good surprise, two is still interesting, three is beating the trope into the ground.

Yeah I feel you on that. The Bernard = Arnold thing threw me off massively though and him being a host was an awesome twist.

Yeah I feel you on that. The Bernard = Arnold thing threw me off massively though and him being a host was an awesome twist.

I could've done without William/Man In Black; I didn't really understand his point in the story other than to be the target of "the maze was never for you!"

If that three (6) way interaction was the "A" story line of the series, the conclusion of which being the hosts gaining sentience, what was the point of the "B" story line? Maev trying to escape, then only going back?

What will the second season tackle? How the hosts are recieved in the post-modern world? That would be cool, but a bit of a rehash of the "vampires amoung us" theme of True Blood (ie, how does human society react when we learn that we aren't alone).

I think his whole thing was to make the robots hate humans so much that they could never identify with them or have sympathy for them once they realized what was going on.

I suspect we're not going to see the "real world" much if at all in this show and probably not for 3 or 4 seasons anyway.

I'm ok with this as long as it doesn't continue. The whole season was about

flashbacks and timelines and all that so now that we're all caught up that sort of thing shouldn't continue.

Edited by Nolder

I think his whole thing was to make the robots hate humans so much that they could never identify with them or have sympathy for them once they realized what was going on.

I suspect we're not going to see the "real world" much if at all in this show and probably not for 3 or 4 seasons anyway.

I'm ok with this as long as it doesn't continue. The whole season was about

flashbacks and timelines and all that so now that we're all caught up that sort of thing shouldn't continue.

Well, they could do more flashbacks to the pre-opening of the park.

Also, I think they kinda have to move off-park; what's the point of giving the hosts sentience of only to keep them in the park? If you make it an equal-oppertunity killing field the humans will stop coming...no, I'm pretty sure they have to leave.

It could be that way, we don't know. Based off the entry/exit we've seen i've kinda assumed that it's like an air-port type on the front-world facing side, so they don't really control who leaves...

Edited by Tyzack

Surprised that no one mentioned that GRRM gave Westworld permission to have a Westeros world if they wanted it. I don’t think they are going to go in that direction, but thought it might be a fun way of bringing back Ned Stark, Robb Stark and other characters that have been offed in the prior 6 season.

Also, I’m not buying that the maze was just a children’s toy. Granted it might have been just a red herring, but it seems like it still have a larger significance than just a children’s toy.

By the way: Can we lose the spoiler tags now? Everyone here seems to have seen the movie/tv show and wants to talk about it anyways. If anyone comes here to read the thread there’s nothing to ready anyways because everything is wrapped in spoiler tags. It just makes reading everything cumbersome.

Edited by Occams whiskey bottle

Surprised that no one mentioned that GRRM gave Westworld permission to have a Westeros world if they wanted it. I don’t think they are going to go in that direction, but thought it might be a fun way of bringing back Ned Stark, Robb Stark and other characters that have been offed in the prior 6 season.

Also, I’m not buying that the maze was just a children’s toy. Granted it might have been just a red herring, but it seems like it still have a larger significance than just a children’s toy.

Wait am I missing something? The maze is supposed to represent a journey of consciousness. "Not a journey upwards, but a journey inward." Like a maze. It was supposed to be a narrative that would help them learn about their true selves.

That's cruel, they'd just find a way to kill him again.

By the way: Can we lose the spoiler tags now? Everyone here seems to have seen the movie/tv show and wants to talk about it anyways. If anyone comes here to read the thread there’s nothing to ready anyways because everything is wrapped in spoiler tags. It just makes reading everything cumbersome.

I dunno, I would guess it's safe to lose them now. I think this forum could use some kind of consistent rule like spoiler tags must be used for the first month and episode/movie airs and then it's open season or something.

That's cruel, they'd just find a way to kill him again.

I actually re-watched the whole series last year and decided that I never liked him, or his mother, or his lady...so, in hindsight, or maybe it's because I now know where things are going, I kind of enjoyed the red wedding; if nothing else it set up Arya's last scene in s6e10.

Wait am I missing something? The maze is supposed to represent a journey of consciousness. "Not a journey upwards, but a journey inward." Like a maze. It was supposed to be a narrative that would help them learn about their true selves.

I’m sure that is part of it, but it has to be more than that. Remember the Man in Black (MiB) scalped an android and the map was on the inside of his scalp,  and after he massacred the lady and her daughter she picked up her daughter and died in the field where the maze revealed itself again. Either the writers didn’t know what the maze was when they wrote those parts in the show, or the maze has a larger more important meaning.