DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Brandon Sanderson's COSMERE universe optioned for insane amounts of money, 2 movies already in planning

Werthead

Chinese production company DMG has picked up the rights to all of Brandon Sanderson's Cosmere universe books - past and present - for colossal sums of money.

The company has earmarked $270 million as 50% of the production budget for three films. They will be looking for international partners to pick up the rest of the budget, which given who they've worked with in the past (they've co-produced everything from Iron Man 3 to Looper) probably won't be hard.

The first two movies will be The Way of Kings and Mistborn: The Final Empire. Exactly how they're going to boil those books (especially Way of Kings) down into a single movie remains to be seen. They've already appointed writer-producers to Way of Kings and are prioritising the project on a fast-track to the screen.

After being somewhat dismissive of his work - ToM/TGS were ... painful? - I picked up the Mistborn series when I read that all his works were set in the same universe, and am currently blowing through them, so I'll check out the stormlight ones next.

It will be interesting, to say the least.

• 2 months later...

The Mistborn movie now has a writer, whilst the first draft of the first Stormlight movie is apparently complete.

Never read stormlight, but I did enjoy mistborn. 

It has a very marketable plot and character structure. 

Not to mention the visual appeal of the magic. Steelpushes and Ironpulls make for some epic fight scenes. 

• 4 weeks later...

Ty:

STormlight Epic Fantasy meant to be a 10 book series with a cast larger then WOT or Game of Thrones, set in a Planet with different physics and biology then earth. First two books were damn good but it will be interesting to see if the energy and character development in the other 8 books will be able to be maintained.

Mistborn seems like a natural for adaptation to the big screen, the books and number of characters are manageable in size and not beyond today,s CGI's ability. 

Ty:

STormlight Epic Fantasy meant to be a 10 book series with a cast larger then WOT or Game of Thrones, set in a Planet with different physics and biology then earth. First two books were damn good but it will be interesting to see if the energy and character development in the other 8 books will be able to be maintained.

Mistborn seems like a natural for adaptation to the big screen, the books and number of characters are manageable in size and not beyond today,s CGI's ability. 

Cuba:

Stop being nice.

We're enemies.

As I said I'm making my way through mistborn as my "trash" series for the year; i'll look at stormlight next, but I have an adversion to reading series which aren't complete...I wonder why...

Ty:

Cuba:

Stop being nice.

We're enemies.

As I said I'm making my way through mistborn as my "trash" series for the year; i'll look at stormlight next, but I have an adversion to reading series which aren't complete...I wonder why...

Awww, look at you two having a agreeable discussion.  This should happen more often.

• 2 months later...