DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Wheel of Time Will Be Adapted as a TV Series

szilard

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People in this thread don't seem to realise that GRRM is a top-notch editor and screenplay artist. You don't need to enjoy his books, writing or abilities to appreciate the experience he has in adapting fantasy books for the TV screen...

He's probably the best in the world at that today. 

Also, a WoT TV series might have more in common with a Napoleonic series than a LoTR or GoT series...

Edited by MichaelOfTheWhite

People in this thread don't seem to realise that GRRM is a top-notch editor and screenplay artist. You don't need to enjoy his books, writing or abilities to appreciate the experience he has in adapting fantasy books for the TV screen...

Also, a WoT TV series might have more in common with a Napoleonic series than a LoTR or GoT series...

Where has he done this outside of aSoIaF?

• Community Administrator

Beauty and the Beast 1989-1990, Twilight Zone, Outer Limits.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0552333/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1#writer

Read his.. forward? or whatever it was in the first book, he mentions doing his time in Hollywood. :wink:

This. TV is a different medium than books, so writing style doesn't have a lot to do with the end result.

That said, I'd not mind if they skipped him when it comes to WoT. He already has too many things on his plate and I'd like to see the series finished someday, even though my enjoyment of it has waned significantly since the first book.

I think WoT has quite the potential to be a good series, but its success will owe to more than one element in the whole process :)

Edited by DrRoxxo

See above; also mentioned in the link is that he's been writing for TV since 1984. 

This. TV is a different medium than books, so writing style doesn't have a lot to do with the end result.

That said, I'd not mind if they skipped him when it comes to WoT. He already has too many things on his plate and I'd like to see the series finished someday, even though my enjoyment of it has waned significantly since the first book.

I think WoT has quite the potential to be a good series, but its success will owe to more than one element in the whole process :)

Agreed. 

He would definitely do it properly, though. :p

Am I the only one that's going crazy? :D I mean, when are we supposed to hear more news? I'm checking for news several times a day! Anyone have any thoughts on how long these things take, I felt that it wouldn't take thaaat long before we heard some more about this!

I'm waiting more or less impatiently too, but I expect they won't go public until they have something else to go public with as well. Such as someone who's been cast, or something like that. So it could probably take a while. They might be in negotiations with how many episodes there'll be, what the budget will be in exact terms, and similar. That's what I would guess, but I know very little of such a process. I don't know about standard procedures for such things, and if you don't know about that, then it's probably unlikely you can guess what to expect.

Just to reiterate, GRRM will not in a million years be working on this in any way, shape or form. Finishing ASoIaF is the only project he'll be working on for at least the next 5 years and maybe more.

The studio will announce it when they've worked a couple of things out, probably how many episodes, if it's going to be a straight series order or going through an initial pilot stage, and maybe a writer or showrunner announcement. That may be what they're locking down now.

They'll formally announce it a long, long time before casting. And from announcement until you see it on screen, will probably be between two and three years.

What do you mean by "if it's going to be a straight series order or going through an initial pilot stage"?

2-3 years was my initial feeling as well, so I'm glad to see it confirmed by someone with more experience. That also means whoever is cast as the main characters can't already be in their 20s today, otherwise they'll end up being too old, so it can't be anyone we already know. Too bad for fan casting ;)

Am I the only one that's going crazy? :D I mean, when are we supposed to hear more news? I'm checking for news several times a day! Anyone have any thoughts on how long these things take, I felt that it wouldn't take thaaat long before we heard some more about this!

NO!

Something suspicious going on; and, you know, contracts/scripts are tricky :) (http://deadline.com/2015/09/westworld-extras-must-agree-to-genital-to-genital-touching-1201560056/)

All we need is a short message: #tWOT is coming next Fall on @...

Or a longer one: 5 seasons, 75 episodes, Peter Jackson (producer)

I don't think they usually say how many seasons they'll make. I think they renew one season at a time. If they don't make a profit during the first 1 or 2 seasons, they'll probably cancel it. Or close to a profit, at least. They might reckon they'll sell enough DVDs and blue-rays in the long run if they just miss the revenues required for a profit. Or maybe they'll cancel it anyway if the reviews aren't great, so they can concentrate on introducing a new series. They seem to cancel a whole lot of shows nowadays after just 1 or 2 season. They are probably looking for the next big hit series, and cancel many way too soon because of that. Too bad.

I'm not sure Peter Jackson would be available. He seems to make movies with very big budgets. I don't know what the budget could be per season for WoT. Maybe something like 50-100 million dollars? Just a guess, so I could be way off...

It would be interesting to know how they select actors for different roles. I would guess some of the villains would require great acting skills, so there might be some more or less known names there. The major good guys would have a lot of spotlight too, so maybe they want good actors there too, but they'd be young, so maybe the pay-checks would be less (per working hour at least). Less known names among the young ones, I would guess. If there are known names, then it seems to me they usually pick actors that have had similar roles before. A former villain plays villain again, and so on.

I'm just so curious to know which studio is involved. It would mean a lot. So I hope we get more news soon! Just to feel that we are a bit closer to an actual series or something else to happen.

And I'm also very curious about actors! But I guess that's a while before we hear anything about. But it's a lot on my mind too! It is often it's young, unknown actors used in these types of roles I guess? I do hope so, always exciting with new, young actors - if they do a good job of course!

What do you mean by "if it's going to be a straight series order or going through an initial pilot stage"?

Depending on the network, they may ask for a proof-of-concept pilot episode, one episode to show what the series is going to look like, or they may just order the full first season immediately.

I'm not sure Peter Jackson would be available. He seems to make movies with very big budgets. I don't know what the budget could be per season for WoT. Maybe something like 50-100 million dollars? Just a guess, so I could be way off...

Jackson's next project is the second and third Tintin movies with Spielberg and the Temeraire TV series he is producing. No interest from him at all in WoT.

It would be interesting to know how they select actors for different roles. I would guess some of the villains would require great acting skills, so there might be some more or less known names there. The major good guys would have a lot of spotlight too, so maybe they want good actors there too, but they'd be young, so maybe the pay-checks would be less (per working hour at least). Less known names among the young ones, I would guess. If there are known names, then it seems to me they usually pick actors that have had similar roles before. A former villain plays villain again, and so on.

"Big Name Directors" rarely go from screen to TV, same with actors; even now, it's still seen as minor leagues, to some extent.

I think that their best chance for success would be having a verteran production crew team with new/young blood actors and directors.

"Big Name Directors" rarely go from screen to TV, same with actors; even now, it's still seen as minor leagues, to some extent.

I think that their best chance for success would be having a verteran production crew team with new/young blood actors and directors.

True Detective, and Things like Netflix are removing the stigma that tv is minor leagues. (Helps that the richest actors, have had tv shows, over movies.)

True Detective, Fargo and other shows are getting movie stars, writers and directors to sign on to television because they're one-season anthology shows that shift location, cast and timezone every year. WoT wouldn't be able to do that, of course.

Spielberg comes to mind, a few others but not many.

PJ is a millionaire, and he's 'jobless' right now.  He has Weta (Hercules :wink: , Xena :wink: ), NZ is still beautiful etc. He has connections, he could be very strict (see the awful D9), and let's be honest: he's 54, and after so many failed projects he could use a big success + the movie industry is basically dead.

There will be max. 5 seasons (or just one season), therefore they cannot adapt - I can't see such a brilliant screenwriter/team - the whole series (11 books) (in)to TV, so we get the live version of the first six book.

This could be amazing: they could plan everything in advance, there will be no missteps ...

Just give him/them MONEY.

Guest Rae Ann McCardell

Sony are the most likely candidates: they were in deep discussions with Red Eagle and with Harriet just before the whole legal battle thing blew up. Hollywood being Hollywood, they probably just said "Go sort this out, call us when you've done a deal and we'll move on from there." If it isn't Sony, then someone like Amazon or Netflix may have gotten involved.

Sony don't air shows themselves, so would have to work with a production partner and AMC is the likeliest candidate based on their previous relationships. However, AMC have a reputation for being quite frugal which WoT definitely will not need.

There is zero chance it's HBO. HBO only do one show in one genre at a time and WoT does not have the adult content they prefer, at least in the quantities they want.

As long as Red Eagle are not involved it is good news, the people at REE should be hung from their toes and beaten for their last monstrosity Winter Dragon...

It's likely that Red Eagle will have a production credit. They tried to sue Harriet for "defamation" and then withdrew that suit a few months later. That's a very traditional, tactical move in Hollywood: you don't have a leg to stand on so you either force the other side into expensive litigation taking years to sort out, even knowing that you'll lose, or you can say "Let's make a deal now and get on with things." With Red Eagle's option expired and their attempt to retain the rights by making a paid-for infomercial not likely to fly, that's the only option that they had left. Based on the rapidity with which things have happened (it may be 14 months, but that's really fast compared to how quickly Hollywood lawyers normally move), I suspect that they made a deal where Red Eagle still gets a slice of the pie, but (hopefully) no control.

There is also the fact that, if this is the Sony deal Red Eagle were pursuing in 2014, they did set up the deal in the first place so actually some form of credit would be appropriate even if they are no longer directly involved.

(On "it has a lot of effects": many friends of mine refers GOT as the "talking heads" show)

That was a fair assessment in Season 1 or maybe as late as early Season 2. For the last couple of seasons? Nope, they've thrown masses of huge battles, elaborate CG establishing shots and other elements that are extremely expensive. That's not just GoT, a whole bunch of shows have massively upped their CG and effects content recently, and done as good a job as any Hollywood movie. It actually makes WoT fairly credible as a TV project, whilst even 5-6 years it might have been more dubious.

I think there is a chance it might be HBO. GoT only has one season left. If they are starting preproduction now (scripting, writers, casting) then the first season on WoT would be ready after GoT ends. I am truly hoping for HBO or Starz which have both shown respect for source material.

• 2 weeks later...

I think GoT has 2 "shortened" seasons left - not sure if that'll be released in 1 year or 2, though.....

Something of this magnitude, might not hit TV for 5 years +.

While i have my doubts about HBO getting it, I do see it as a possibility.

+ they already have the sets/costumes they can re-use for WoT. :wink: