DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Superman Vs. Batman: Dawn of Punches

Krakalakachkn

So I avidly read all the first reviews from everyday people fortunate enough to see the movie a week ahead of time and all the ones I could find were raving with how amazing the movie was, how great Gadot and Affleck were, and how it was one of the best superhero films ever.  

So imagine my surprise when I found out that it was sitting at a 33% on Rotten Tomatoes and most of the critic reviews stated that it was dull, lethargic, boring, etc.

I know I'm pretty excited to see it in spite of what the critics are saying.

Anyone going to see it tonight? 

I'll be seeing it tonight... Either 10, 11 or 12 hours from now depending on seating and which shows have open seating.

Nit expecting too much but already expecting the title is a hint at the rise of the justice League so probably an attempt at competition against the marvel Avengers films.

I'll be seeing it tonight... Either 10, 11 or 12 hours from now depending on seating and which shows have open seating.

Nit expecting too much but already expecting the title is a hint at the rise of the justice League so probably an attempt at competition against the marvel Avengers films.

I've been disappointed with the Avengers films, definitely looking forward to seeing the Justice League - although it would be great if they stopped letting the likes of Zack Snyder direct the films.

Good guys aren't supposed to fight good guys.

This. And from what I have heard, the alleged reason behind the fight seems weak and not established very well. The whole thing sounds like a flimsy excuse to satisfy all the comics fanboys who are always clamoring for fights between certain characters, without actually considering how true to the characters such a fight would be.

Well, IMO it was not horrible but really not anything too special either... Full of action but the plot itself didn't really work out in my opinion.

Just my own opinion though so take my opinions as just that... opinions. We all have 'em and many of them don't match up.

Good guys aren't supposed to fight good guys.

This. And from what I have heard, the alleged reason behind the fight seems weak and not established very well. The whole thing sounds like a flimsy excuse to satisfy all the comics fanboys who are always clamoring for fights between certain characters, without actually considering how true to the characters such a fight would be.

From what I understand about the comic books - it takes place in an alternate universe against the backdrop of the Cold War where Superman works for the gov't and Batman has retired.  Gotham's circumstances cause Batman to un-retire and the gov't gets Superman to do something about it.

I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around the possibility that a movie could be so badly reviewed by just about everyone and still make such a big amount of money. Last I looked it was sitting at 29% on Rotten Tomatoes. That's not the sort of rating a big hit gets; it's not even close.

I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around the possibility that a movie could be so badly reviewed by just about everyone and still make such a big amount of money. Last I looked it was sitting at 29% on Rotten Tomatoes. That's not the sort of rating a big hit gets; it's not even close.

See also: the Transformers film franchise.

Really though, between the two marquee supers and the film debut of Wonder Woman, this could have been the biggest dumpster fire in the history of cinema and still mad made bank on opening weekend on hype alone. The per-day breakdown gets a little more interesting, and the amount of drop in the second weekend will be much more instructive.

• Community Administrator

I believe it is reasonable for Superman to go after Batman - He is a vigilante, at the end of the day. However, Batman would promptly get his... hmm, cape kicked up between his ears...

Batman isn't Lex Luthur... IN many ways they are very similar.. but you know.. batman can actually kick ass. I'm sure Batman would have easy access to Kryptonite... which could theoretically allow him to fight Superman on a 1 on 1 human - human level.. and that fight would undoubtedly go to Batman. 

But then if you go with the Justice League where Batman has a contingency plan to take out every justice league member in case they turned evil.. (And his plan included taking out superman) Batman's control plan if he went bad, was Superman.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JLA:_Tower_of_Babel

I'm not no DC pro but I do know that a fight between the two isn't going to be as clear cut as "LOL superman's going to turn batman into pudding".

Side note: I haven't seen the movie, but I'll state the following.

I did not like the last Superman movie. Superman does not kill with intent. Batman generally doesn't as well. (However some of the comics he does..) So I'm not sure I'm a big fan of all the intentional murder that supposedly goes on in this movie.

The thing is, I doubt Superman would give fair warning that he was about to commence cape-kicking. He would just snatch Batman off the street. I am not a comic person, but on the subject of Kryponite, maybe you can answer this: How rare is it, and how well known is Superman's weakness? Also, is there a canon reason Lex has never just made a .50 caliber round and shot Superman in the head?? Even Superman can't HEAR a hyper-sonic bullet coming at him...

The thing is, I doubt Superman would give fair warning that he was about to commence cape-kicking. He would just snatch Batman off the street. I am not a comic person, but on the subject of Kryponite, maybe you can answer this: How rare is it, and how well known is Superman's weakness? Also, is there a canon reason Lex has never just made a .50 caliber round and shot Superman in the head?? Even Superman can't HEAR a hyper-sonic bullet coming at him...

Luthur's ego is probably why he's never had it done.

And it's not rare enough that Batman doesn't have access to it. (In the comics he has some, and he's made some that would paralyze Superman.. but this is justice league era, not the era where they first meet.)

I heard a rumor that his suit in the movie is laced with Kryptonite? (Thanks to Luthur?)

The thing is, I doubt Superman would give fair warning that he was about to commence cape-kicking. He would just snatch Batman off the street.

Well Superman would hardly do so on a whim and Batman would surely know if the government or Superman turned against him and were coming after him.  He's got contingency plans on contingency plans.  Dude is a genius.

I saw the movie last night. In my opinion the movie was okay. I was excited to see the other justice league members in the movie.

I'm a huge comic book fan. I agree that good guys dont fight each other. I don't know if this movie followed the comic book of Batman vs Superman. Also there was a comic series where Superman did die. I did enjoy the scene where all 3 of the major Justice League came together.

Thats my 2 cents.

I saw the movie last night. In my opinion the movie was okay. I was excited to see the other justice league members in the movie.

I'm a huge comic book fan. I agree that good guys dont fight each other. I don't know if this movie followed the comic book of Batman vs Superman. Also there was a comic series where Superman did die. I did enjoy the scene where all 3 of the major Justice League came together.

Thats my 2 cents.

See, that's one of the things a lot of people miss, even if they are comic fans.

Heroes fight other Heroes all the time! So this obsession of "we want to see this hero fight that hero" stems from the very fact that they do have heroes fighting each other all the time, and the most talked about mashups, tend to be the ones who have either never fought, or have fought the least against each other. (Or haven't fought in the current universe-reboot).

Thats my 2 cents.

See, that's one of the things a lot of people miss, even if they are comic fans.

Heroes fight other Heroes all the time! So this obsession of "we want to see this hero fight that hero" stems from the very fact that they do have heroes fighting each other all the time, and the most talked about mashups, tend to be the ones who have either never fought, or have fought the least against each other. (Or haven't fought in the current universe-reboot).

That's what the entire movie Captain America: Civil War is about.

Comic books deal with incredibly complex social-emotional-intellectual-philosophical-cultural themes and effectively function as real-world commentary alongside of escapist fiction.  It's highly unrealistic that heroes would see eye-to-eye on everything and POV as well as the [most pertinent] question "what makes a hero" play an incredibly important and subjective role as characters, heroes, and readers work through those themes together.  Values change.  People change.  Anyone who says "good guys don't fight each other" is wrong imo.  I personally don't think it's that simple but we each have different opinions and predilections.

The question of who would win in a fight is never as obvious as x or y.  It all depends on context and a variety of other factors that change day-to-day.  If we were to have characters fight in a vacuum and break them down into nothing more than powers and abilities and sheer strength then we've lost sight of the point, these characters are real people and chock full of flaws and perform irregularly.  A fight between batman and superman where both were stripped naked and went at it with fists/natural abilities would be the most boring thing ever.  Such a provision strips them of agency - which is an important recurring theme in comic books.

I have seen the movie twice and totally enjoyed it!! Seeeing the two comic gods on screen together for the first time, with support from the comic goddess was a dream come true for me. There are plenty of issues with the film, but I would watch it over and over again. I have seen it twice and definitely intend to see it more times. I also cannot wait to see Darkseid take on the Justice League, though we have a few films to watch first.

Archived