DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Game of Thrones Season 6 (Spoilers)

Nolder

Okay, here's my two coppers, covering the whole season at once after I just read this entire thread:

I was sad seeing Doran get killed seeing as he was the only redeeming thing about the Dorne plotline, both in terms of acting and the story. Betcha that Julian Bashir could have saved him after that stabbing. :wink:

Yara getting it on with a woman? Wasn't she straight in the books? I'm seeing this as a totally unnecessary change. If the producers want a little gratuitous sex, fine, but show her doing stuff with a guy and stay true to the book character (aside from having already changed her name, that is). If they really have to have some girl/girl stuff, then go with an original to the show character rather than making an alteration which serves no purpose in the overall story.

Having Benjen as Coldhands seems like servicing the fan theory and pandering to the viewers by giving them a development they want.

Anyone notice how Cersei was prepped for the walk of atonement by the Sparrows giving her a really short haircut, but Margaery is allowed to keep her long hair? Marg's newfound piety and born-again faith must have won her some brownie points (never mind that she was faking the belief, what matters is that she convinced the Sparrows). From a production standpoint, I think this was an accidental oversight and she would have gotten the haircut if the writers or producers had remembered it.

I was sad to see Marg die, but they stayed true to her character by having her be the one to figure out there's gonna be an attack on the great sept and everyone is in mortal danger. No one else present could believably realize that before her, because she's the smart one. Contrast this with the look of incomprehension on the High Sparrow's face the whole time. He died still trying to fathom what she was saying.

On a related note, this seems to end Westeros being on a slow slide into theocracy. I was starting to find that plot thread a little disturbing.

Possession really is nine-tenths of the law. I can't think of any form of succession law which allows Cersei to become monarch in her own right once her husband and children are all dead. But she's the one in King's Landing, and is the only person in position to take power in the immediate aftermath of everything that happened in the last episode. And if we thought she was a bad ruler before as a regent for her children, she is going to be way worse as the actual monarch having removed a whole bunch of people in her way. Which leads me to wonder since Kevan is still alive in the show, will he move against her like he did in the books? And if you go back to Robert's father, grandfather, or even great-grandfather, there's got to be some Baratheon descendant somewhere that's the new head of house, who could then enter the fray at large when Cersei shows how incompetent she is.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trying to remember where I heard/read it - might have been on Watchers on the Wall website, or the History of Westeros or Rawrist YouTube... maybe on Reddit. But someone with entirely too much time on their hands researched genealogies and found that the nearest living relatives of the Baratheon line are actually the Lannisters. So... Jaime would be next in line, since he's been kicked out of the Kingsguard.

Anyone notice how Cersei was prepped for the walk of atonement by the Sparrows giving her a really short haircut, but Margaery is allowed to keep her long hair? Marg's newfound piety and born-again faith must have won her some brownie points (never mind that she was faking the belief, what matters is that she convinced the Sparrows). From a production standpoint, I think this was an accidental oversight and she would have gotten the haircut if the writers or producers had remembered it.

IIRC Margaery bringing Tommen into the fold was considered her "repentance" and she was never to take the "walk of atonement". The arrival of the Jamie & the Tyrell army was irrelevant.

Benjen may not be Coldhands in the books (if we believe in red pen) but that doesn't necessarily mean Benjen isn't going to be involved in the books again at some point.

Bran's story isn't far enough to know whether or not he'll ever met up with Benjen, and while they are "stylistically similar" Coldhands as a character has been entirely omitted from the show, so it might just be the "known character replaces minor character" GoT does so very often (IE Arya this episode replacing Manderly as the most "recent" example)

I think GoT has done a terrific job condensing the story, fwiw. They got a lot of crap from book loyalists for shortening character arcs, omissions, and giving minor characters' stories to major characters, but they're running a TV show with limited time and many alterations have been minor and spiritually there (Pycelle dying the way Kevan dies in the books, etc.)

This season was absolutely fantastic and a couple of small detail changes / omissions doesn't ruin that experience for me. It's not like the series has been changing major events (at least as far as we can tell with arcs extending beyond the source material this year) besides maybe Sansa's arc (where she's been merged less horrifically with Jeyne Poole) as she's been a more pronounced character in the series lately than in the books probably due to Sophie Turner becoming one of the show's bigger stars.

Further thoughts....

I wasn't expecting the reveal of Jon's parentage to come via Bran's visions, although once he began seeing the Tower of Joy fight it was obvious they'd be dealing with it. I was expecting it to be a verbal reveal from Howland Reed, in the books, show, or both. The part I found really surprising is the implied reveal for the viewers only, but not any of the characters. No one ever comes out and says the baby's name is Jon. All we get is that sudden cut to a close-up of Jon. So did Bran figure out that this is a baby Jon Snow? Or does he need further explaining that his half-brother is actually his cousin?

Is Cersei going to wipe out Tommen's ban on trial by combat? It doesn't hurt her now that she's not facing trial anymore, but removing the trial by faith now that she has the power is one way for her to scale back the Faith's already weakened clout. For that matter, it might be difficult to get enough septons for a trial inside the city at all, with so many of them being dead.

Along the same lines of scaling back the religious clout, does she continue to allow the Faith to have its own soldiers?

• 2 weeks later...

So, what are your favourite moments this season? I tried to write down five but got 20 and yet I wasn´t done with the list... But here are 10 that I absolutely love. I picked most of them are because they were very emotional. 

1. Hold the door! Still crying inside everytime I think about it. My daughter wanted me to buy a Hodor t-shirt but I wouldn´t be able to wear it without crying. He had one job and he did it! 

2. The beginning of episode 10 which ended with Cersei drinking wine and smiling as she watches the Sept getting blown up. They made me care about the King´s Landing story and Lena Heady playes so great. 

3. Sansa and Jon finally getting together. I was so worried that Jon would have left Castle Black before she arrived. 

4. Dany making Tyrion Hand of the Queen. I almost started to cry. It was a beautiful moment. Tyrion didn´t get much to do this season and some of it was just fillers but this scene was great.

5. The battle of Meereen. It was so great to see the three dragons get together again and doing what they are best at - burning things. :D

6. Melisandre doubting herself and we get to see that she is truly very old. I just love Carice! I bought this last week. :)

funko-pop-tv-game-of-thrones-melisandre.

7. First scene with Lyanna Mormont on Bear Island. She is soooo cool! 

8. Davos´ feelings when he accused Melisandre for murdering Shiren. Again, almost cried.

9. Jaime and Brienne. <3

10. Tower of Joy/King in the North. This should have been much higher on my list, because it was great, but I felt it was coming. The other stuff surprised me more. 

This means that I couldn´t include any Theon scenes. :( I loved all of them. And Sandor´s return! And Arya getting Needle! And Bran finding out about the White Walkers! And the rebirth of Jon!!! And "Now my watch is ended"!!!!!! And Jorah confessing his love for Dany!!! And Battle of the Bastards!!!!! And Ramsay getting eaten by his own dogs!!!!!!!!

Yes it was a great season. 

Wow! That were a lot of nominations! I'm happy that Maise and Kit got their first nominations. I hope Kit gets an award but I think Lena has a better chance than Maise. Fun to see Max von Sydow getting a nomination. I really, really hope Miguel Sapochnik gets an award. His episodes were great. I have never understood how they pick the winners though. Peter got an award last season when he should have gotten it the year before. Is it like some actors collect invisible points during the years and when they get enough they get an award no matter what they have done that particular season?

• 2 months later...

Archived